PA Random Truck Inspection Check Points - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

PA Random Truck Inspection Check Points

Yo yo, good morning! Saw a random truck inspection checkpoint setup yesterday in the middle of a side raod off the PA turnpike. Made me curious as to what they look for in particular, anyone ever been stopped at one of these? Anyone been fined at one?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

-2008 Job #3 F250 CCSB 4x4
-Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
-Peak Fleet Charge Purple Coolant
-SCT X4 Babysitter
-17" XD Addicts
-285 General Grabber AT2's
-Power Service White in the Tank
-Moog Tie Rods and Drag Arm
-Drilled and Slotted Rotors
-GearBoxZ DPF-R 4.0
-Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete
-MPD CCV Kit
-Injen Evo CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:51 PM
PSN Newb

Re: PA Random Truck Inspection Check Points

Are talking cdl trucks or pickups?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:10 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

could be checking for an escapee from the local penitentiary!
or
could be checking for off road (red) diesel fuel.
do they do random emissions checks in emissions states?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

They were stopping anyone and everything in 2500 or larger, diesel, gas, individuals to commercial trucks.. FWIW it was on Forty Foot road in Montgomery county, exit 31 off PA turnpike.

One more question comes to mind too, what if your tagged out of state, do you have to abide and conform to local standards, or is it a federal standard?

-SCT X4 Babysitter
-17" XD Addicts
-GearBoxZ DPF-R 4.0
-Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete
-MPD CCV Kit
-Injen Evo CAI
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:34 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

I assumed checkpoints are the same as if you were pulled over for speeding, doesn't matter where your from, local municipality wants your money in exchange for a ticket... where i'd imagine the visited-state-specific vehicular requirements would exempt you. love to hear more on this!

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Luddite in Charge

What??!!

PSP or local MCE doing this?

I run down there all the time, isn't 31 Lansdale? I don't know that road in particular but I'd think it's gotta be local yokels if it wasn't directly on the pike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

It was the local cops, 2 different colors/markings on the vehicles. We were installing a high pressure gas main about 1/8th mile before the check point and needed some fittings, I had to use my bosses truck to go to the supply house since he's only got a 150. I didn't want to chance it with my truck...

And yes, it is the Lansdale exit... The town of kulpsville? Here is where it was...

-SCT X4 Babysitter
-17" XD Addicts
-GearBoxZ DPF-R 4.0
-Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete
-MPD CCV Kit
-Injen Evo CAI
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Luddite in Charge

They're testing the limits of their authority.

Any motor vehicle can be pulled over for a 'safety' inspection - the same thing the guy that licks and sticks that little sticker on the windshield does. They can scale us roadside, I've had that done to me already in a pickup with a pallet of shotgun shells as cargo. But what else is there to do other than dip a tank? And how do you do that on a pickup truck with a filler neck and a bunch of bends and turns in a 1 1/4" or whatever pipe? An idiot I really only believe half of what he says told me he got nailed running red fuel because they took off his fuel filter cap and sampled that. He later beat it in court (I don't know what level, magistrate or real court) because "according to the vehicle code" they can only LOOK and 'unobtrusively' access vehicle components, not disassemble things. I don't know about all that but...

If you were working right where they were at, did this take place all day long, with wreckers and rollbacks coming and going taking violators to thousand-dollar impounds?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Luddite in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
could be checking for an escapee from the local penitentiary!
or
could be checking for off road (red) diesel fuel.
do they do random emissions checks in emissions states?
SCI Graterford *is* practically around the corner tho!

Other than a visual emissions check, I think their 'roadside testability' exceeds the mechanical limitations of the creeper and flashlight most tend to only carry. I have seen (at highway speed, mind you) those vans in a quick glance seemingly PACKED with tool chests and other junk. Funny, 'emergency vehicles' are exempt from DOT rules, so suggesting that someone scale one of *their* 3/4 ton vans to make sure everything is up and up would be moot.

My buddy is retired PennDOT and will only laugh when you talk about some of the violations they run. Especially in winter. Anti-skid piled so high and over the sideboards of a tri-axle, the resulting broken springs that never get fixed, on and on. He told me he once scaled the Mack Granite he was in (loaded steel box spilling over with anti-skid and 12' plow plus side wing) and topped 125k... So much for 73,280. But when he'd want to put a truck out of service and sit in it's a/c all day til they send a truck to tow him all he'd have to do was yank a wire off the back-up alarm and cry to the office.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

It went from about 8am to around 2pm, I didn't see any tow rigs or anything along those lines but they had a box set up out of cones about 60 yards long and one lane wide with 6 patrol vehicles and about 12 uniforms then as trucks would pass, they would flag them into the box and do their inspection. They had the mirrors for looking underneath and they were browsing through the cabs, under seats and what not as well as what appeared to be an iPad (probably for checking drive times on big rigs?) and flipping through the drivers papers...

As I passed through to go to the supply house there was a 2500 Dodge with a landscaping trailer with mowers and such. On my way back to the job, 45 minutes later, he was still there pretty much sleeping on his steering wheel...

It really sparked my curiosity as to "what if" I was in my truck....

-SCT X4 Babysitter
-17" XD Addicts
-GearBoxZ DPF-R 4.0
-Flo-Pro DOC/DPF delete
-MPD CCV Kit
-Injen Evo CAI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode