Recon install question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Recon install question

I just got cab lights and a few other Recon lights for Christmas. My 04 already had cab lights but I got the entire kit with led's. My question is do the OE cab lights screw on from under the light or inside the light? I pulled the caps off but can't find any screw heads to undo the actual base from the cab. It's cold and getting dark outside so I figured asking on here would save me some frustration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:01 PM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753
Re: Recon install question

The factory lights had studs in them and nuts inside the cab, gotta pull the headliner down a bit to get in there, they pop out pretty easy though.

I installed the same full LED recon kit on my truck which had factory lights. The only thing I didn't like was having to go out and buy hardware to mount the new recon lights. Turned it into a 2 person job, one holding a screw driver on the outside of the roof and one inside tightening the nuts. I left the stock harness in place and just tapped into it and used the recon harness to connect the new led lights.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

The instructions say that the lights will install in under 3 minutes with OE cab lights. Obviously this is wrong but what all hardware did you have to buy? Boltz and screws, or is there more?

I also got the smoked LED tail lights and mirror lights. Do i need the resistor kit for each of these? And if I do is it one kit for both lights (ex. 1 kit for the mirrors and 1 for the tails) or do I have to get a resistor for each light?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 PM
I like turtles

I just got a set for my truck that dont have them period. The directions say buy the factory harness and bases. But yet came with harness. Do I really need to? Sorry to impose
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:52 AM
6Leaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome04strokin View Post
The instructions say that the lights will install in under 3 minutes with OE cab lights. Obviously this is wrong but what all hardware did you have to buy? Boltz and screws, or is there more?
I could imagine if you were installing ONLY the lenses then it would be under 3 minutes, its just 1 screw at the back of each lens. But its definitely much longer for the LED bases. I can't remember off the top of my head the size of the hardware I bought, but its no longer than 1/2" or so.

Here are some pics I found...

and here is one of the stockers, just snapped some pics of it for ya...

If ya need any help on pulling apart the interior and such I can walk ya through it as well. I have pulled the headliner down a few times in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE-STROKE View Post
I just got a set for my truck that dont have them period. The directions say buy the factory harness and bases. But yet came with harness. Do I really need to? Sorry to impose
The directions say you can either buy the harness or run your own wire. I don't know the price of the harness but I believe I would just run your own wire instead. The majority of the wiring should already be in the truck, just terminated at the passenger side kick panel with a factory connector, you could run the power from the recon harness down to it, shouldn't need any more than 3' maybe to extend it since the recon one is fairly long.

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Wow what a PITA for something that seems to be an easy replacement. It would be so nice if the stock ones just mounted from the top of the base and the new wiring would just connect together. Guess nothing is easy though haha. If it wasn't for the better look of the whole kit I would have just opted for the smoked covers

Did you use all the wiring that came with the Recon kit and just splice into the old wiring or how did you go about doing this? Thanks for all your help btw. I'm new to this kind of stuff and I'm definately not paying someone to install my stuff unless absolutely neccessary.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 AM
6Leaker

yea PITA indeed, if I didn't already have the kit sitting in my basement for soo long and was pulling the headliner down anyways to install my gauges I probably woulda just went ahead with the lenses instead. But I do like the LED look, and hope to carry it on over the rest of the truck.

Some choice words were definitely spoken as I was going through the process and seeing how crappy it was becoming lol.

I ended up taping up the entire harness so it wouldn't be soo loose and simply used wiretaps to connect it to the factory harness and taped up the factory harness as well so nothing was left loose along the roof. I believe I cut off the majority of the power wire on the recon harness, but the ground was already fairly short.

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

This thread is turning into question after question for me. Why do you need to pull down the head liner to install gauges? I got a 3 gauge pillar mount with some Phantom II's that I still have to put in. I was going to go to my buddy's shop one night after work but this is seeming more and more like I'm going to have to go down on a Sat. or Sun. and spend the day to get it all installed.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:10 AM
6Leaker

For a couple of reasons, I installed a 4-gauge overhead pod first, hope to put in a 4-gauge pillar pod sometime down the road but for now I like this setup. Plus I have my CB mounted up top in the overhead console. So I was installing the gauges, and cleaning up the wiring on the CB and since I was doing all that I figured it was the perfect time to install the Recon lights.

Honestly it shouldn't take any more than 2 hours tops I would imagine. I have done it several times and can get to the cab lights with my eyes closed lol. You won't have to Completely remove the headliner but everything back to the B-pillars so you can pull it down enough to get in around it. Might need to make some crazy contortions with your body but doable.

There are 2 screws and a wiring harness for each sunvisor.

1 screw per sunvisor clip, and 2 push plugs to pull out

If you have the overhead console, it should pull down without any screws

For the A-pillars remove the 2 covers on each handle and then pull out the 4 bolts (per handle) which are 8mm I believe. Then the pillars can be pulled down, just a few clips holding them in and should be able to just lay down on the dash.

All that is left should be the "oh sh!t" handle on the passenger side, remove the 2 covers and I believe its 2 small bolts hold it on again 8mm or so in size

After that I found it easiest to pull down the weather stripping and just let it hang.

The headliner should have some flex in it, even if you put a small crease in it while working around it, the crease should go away when it goes back up.

Looks like a mess but as you can see I got a few more things ripped out than just the headliner stuff

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

That was a big help. Thanks! Can't believe I have to tear half the interior apart just to throw a couple cab lights on. I think I'm going to install most of the stuff this weekend and I'll let shoot you a message if I have any problems. Lets hope for the best!!! Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode