DASH CAMS? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

DASH CAMS?

What kind of dash cams are y'all using. Would you buy it for another vehicle? What do you like about it? and what to do you NOT like about it?

These dumb a$$ drivers are pushing my limits so I am going to CMOA!

1996 F350 Crewcab lb 2wd auto, tommylift, now over 451k, 355k 3/31/15

1991 F250 Xtracab lb 2wd auto, sold again! Driveline and chassis is under a '65 F350 cab

1965 F100 styleside, power brakes, front discs, 390 all the goodies
2015 F250 CCSB 2wd gasser auto
2008 Mustang WIP, warriors in pink, wife's
2009 Focus, son's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:58 AM
POWERSTROKEMIKE

Re: DASH CAMS?

subd.. I've been interested in this for a while.. driving a company truck.. I just wanna protect myself..
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 02:55 AM
Administrator

interested also

i was surprised it is hard to find good info
everyone in Russia seems to have a decent one

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 11:05 AM
Luddite in Charge

I recently got 2 Mini 805's for under $150 (for both). I installed one in one truck already and will be doing the second as soon as time permits. The features I was after probably don't echo what most everyone else is looking for tho. The attributes I most heavily weighed were size, video quality, 'spin-ability' of the camera head, low light / dark quality, and NOT GPS. I know where I'm at. You and everyone else do not need to know this.

Anyway, the Mini has full 1080p (one higher, 2300-something x 2596) HD ability and the image is amazing for a little camera. I say 'spin around' ability so I can spin it around and watch the inside of the vehicle when I get where I'm going and want to catch window smashers. It says it runs for 18hrs at full resolution on a 128 gig card, but I haven't tested this theory yet.

There is a GPS unit available, and it has nothing to do with the camera. It's in the mount that goes on the windshield and is only a few bucks more. Size wise, it's a little bigger than a jumbo egg. Whether you get the GPS or not it still has annoying things I'll never use like crash detection, lane departure warnings, and some other crap that can all thankfully be turned off.

Oh, naturally I got it on FleaBay. As of now, I'd give it a thumbs up. The only negatives I'd say about it are the spaghetti wires feeding it and all the other gadgets we clutter our view with and the useless screen on the back of the camera. You have to go thru 7 menus to shut it off. Other than that, it seems okay.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 11:12 AM
PSN Local

I have this model.. works great.. got it for myself for Christmas.. like the bigger screen.. HD is nice also for the details. Haven't found an issue with it yet.

Sean
2005 F250 Harley CC SB Banks IQ, 4" Exhaust, Banks Techi Cooler with High Ram, Cold Air Intake, Cat Delete,EGR Delete,Coolant Filter,Amsoil Oil Filter Bypass, PHP ECM Rollback, PHP FICM Tuner, WW2,Rancho 9000XL shocks. Firestone Air Springs w/Daystar Cradles. 224K
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

These are the two I purchased...

Spy Tec G1W-C for my truck and a Dexors X5 for my wife's Mustang....I am also looking for a third unit for my wife's work vehicle...not decided on that unit yet.

they both do at least 1080p HD 30 fps both have wide angle view and the G1W-C is a capacitor equipped unit instead of a battery.

If you are in the market insure you buy from the company that makes the unit....you may pay a little more but you will not get a crappy knock off from China. Apparently there is a huge flood of knock offs being offered from other retail outlets other than the manufacturer.

Additional info to follow when I get some data.

1996 F350 Crewcab lb 2wd auto, tommylift, now over 451k, 355k 3/31/15

1991 F250 Xtracab lb 2wd auto, sold again! Driveline and chassis is under a '65 F350 cab

1965 F100 styleside, power brakes, front discs, 390 all the goodies
2015 F250 CCSB 2wd gasser auto
2008 Mustang WIP, warriors in pink, wife's
2009 Focus, son's
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:20 AM
PSN Local

Try to visit dashcamtalk. Lots of info and in-depth reviews about the different brands/models of dash camera.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 01:42 AM
PSN Newb

I got some 50 dollar special off of Ebay. It works for me. It's HD. It just doesn't shut off like it's supposed to but if you have it on a circuit only energized with the ignition on you should be fine. I've already used it in police reports.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:24 AM
alleged moderator

i use the cobra 840 in all my trucks.
36 gig mini sd card gives me 19 hours recording time on a 3 minute record set
record quality is good enough that the police have used the recorded clips as evidence in three criminal accident cases so far and had convictions in each due to the dash cam recording

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:25 PM
m j
PSN Veteran

where is best place to get an "ign on +12v" to trigger the recording?
work truck is a 2001 f350 and I dont have a EVTM for it, so any help appreciated.

on topic, just get one. they are cheap cina junk and they arent going to last but after having one you wont want to not have one.

1997 F250 rclb 4x4,Comp910s,SRP1.1,Irate T4 s468,FullForce 350/200,efuel A1000 5/8" drawstraw,DI fuel fittings,D60f Detroit,Grizzly10.25,windowed 7.3 Oct 9/14
rebuild .010 riffraff cut pistons,swamps fire ring kit,Girdle,high-filled block,Manley rods,SBC dualdisc,ATI dampner,MorelLifters,MantonPushrods,ColtCam,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode