03 heated lighted mirrors - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

03 heated lighted mirrors

How have you guys wired up the heated part on these mirrors. I dont know of any relays controlling them on the 03 up trucks. Does anybody make a plug and play to adapt them. I just tested each wire and what it did on the truck I got my mirrors from but I would like to clean up the wiring and was wondering if I should switch or relay the heat part. The other trucks ive looked at seem to run on all the time also. Ahy ideas Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:10 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 03 heated lighted mirrors

I believe this would be a nice addition to my SD!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2001 SD 2 wheel drive
DP tuned by Scott @ TNT of CC
ITP Regulated Return/ in tank & prepump mods: When Only the BEST will do!
Tank has been harpooned
Gages: Boost and Pressure
on the post & 4" S/S turbo Back by Aljay.
Rancho's all around
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Its pretty easy to just wire the pins they way they are on the new trucks but I just wanted to keep it clean if there was a plug and play kit someone made. Anybody could do it the way I did though

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:05 AM
PSN Local

I just wired mine to a nice switch that I placed next to the mirror switch. It has an amber dummy light on it when powered. I wanted to be able to turn them on and off when needed.

Early 99 (build 04/98) F250 XLT Supercab, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, 4R100, SRW, 6637 DIY intake, 4" TB exhaust, RCD leveling kit, 05 front facelift, 05 tow mirrors, 05 body badging, 05 Dash, Body molding delete, Difuser headlight harness, 20x10 XD Diesels(black), 305/55/20's, Stainless brake lines, Updated PCM, White face gauge overlay, 2002 seats.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Big James

What did you use for a power souce Early? I have an 02 and I wired the lights in, but I didn't know how to do the heat for the mirrors.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:09 PM
PSN Local

i put heated mirrors on mine with no lights i just cut the plugs off and wired them to a switch so they weren't always on

1999 f 350 ext cab racer x tc and valvebody dp tuner 60tow 80e 120race 140 extreme 04 grand cherokee
1999.5 f350 crew cab beans tunes
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Word

The heated elements on the factory mirrors should only come on when the heat and defrost selection is made on the dash panel....but if your vehicle wasn't equipped with this feature from the factory you won't have wires there to splice into....this you guys have already found out...if your vehicle is equipped the ATC ( automatic temperature control ) heat and A/C control head then you can run wires to splice into the defrost or heat control, if not your gonna have to put it on a switch somewhere.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

See I thought maybe that was the case so I tested the wires on a truck that came with heated mirrors and it didnt change current on any of the wires when I would switch the defrost on and off. So I then just drove the truck to see if they seemed to stay warm all the time and they did so I guess they are on all the time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Word

I went to my wiring diagram and you're right...there's a heated mirror relay that's activated when the truck is on...it never turns off unless the truck is off...seems kinda stupid to do it like that...you would think a heated mirror element would be a bad thing being on in the middle of summer...but I guess it saved Ford $ in copper from having to run extra wires...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode