Vehicle navigation question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Send a message via MSN to JuststrokeIT
Vehicle navigation question

What system are yall running like garmin ect i dont know to many names but I travel queit a bit and think maybe ill get one for christmas but dont wanna waste my money on some garbage. Can these things find roads that are very hard to find such as gravel ones? and can i select sort of my path of travel like wheather i want the scenic route or fastest way or shortest distance? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

early 99 F350 Supercab longbed 4x4, Diprical gauges,GTP38R, Swamps competion fuel system with bowl delete,custom intake, 4in downpipe to 6in stacks, 200/30% hybrids from swamps, tuned by swamps, head studs.main studs, WOP cryo forged rods, ceramic coated pistons,Adrenalin HPOP,DI cam. Train horns, Ranchand front bumper DMI rear, Kumho kl71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:36 PM
id: 5520

Re: Vehicle navigation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuststrokeIT View Post
What system are yall running like garmin ect i dont know to many names but I travel queit a bit and think maybe ill get one for christmas but dont wanna waste my money on some garbage. Can these things find roads that are very hard to find such as gravel ones? and can i select sort of my path of travel like wheather i want the scenic route or fastest way or shortest distance? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Gramin and it works pretty dam good. I can select fastest or shortest route. It has all the gas station's,hotel's and restaurants on it. Just make sure there are several million points of interest. My buddy just bought a Tom Tom and it has that virtual view thing on it and it works pretty good. But he is one of those guys that has to have the latest of everything. I really don't use it much but when I do it really takes the stress out trying to find an address..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Nobody else has one or any input? Do i have to pay extra for anything with these since you said make sure it comes with points of interest waht do you mean by that?

early 99 F350 Supercab longbed 4x4, Diprical gauges,GTP38R, Swamps competion fuel system with bowl delete,custom intake, 4in downpipe to 6in stacks, 200/30% hybrids from swamps, tuned by swamps, head studs.main studs, WOP cryo forged rods, ceramic coated pistons,Adrenalin HPOP,DI cam. Train horns, Ranchand front bumper DMI rear, Kumho kl71

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:35 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Well Ive got garmin and tom tom. The garmin is a module I added to my ddx512 stero and the tom tom is the 720 stand alone model.

The tom tom works great and no real problems with it till the last 2 software updates. Both caused headaches and ended up going back to an older version. It has a ton of "toys" and other features that honestly I never use.

The garmin has more of the local roads updated in it which suprised me to be honest and has a much better method for entering things when your looking up where to go.

The tom tom has a better setup system for picking whats shown on the navigation screen than the garmin.

The garmin is faster for finding where I want to go and the favorites are easier to work with.

If I had to chooes one or the other.... Id pick the garmin.

This is from a die hard tom tom fan also.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Nobody else has one or any input? Do i have to pay extra for anything with these since you said make sure it comes with points of interest waht do you mean by that?
What I mean by points of interest is let's say your spending the weekend someplace you have never been and your looking for a good place to get a steak. That would be a point of interest..

Let me take a quick look for you. I'll post a link for ya.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 PM

This is what I have.. Nice unit and cheap..

Walmart.com: Garmin nuvi 350 Portable GPS with Text-to-Speech: GPS & Navigation
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:05 PM
young and dumb

i have the dnx5120 from kenwood which has garmin navigation, same nav as the streetpilot series. i was driving in the middle of a forest on what looked like atv trails and they were marked on the gps. also it tracks so i tracked in in case i got lost. i love it.

2002 F250 Lariat 4x4 SRW
Currently:
8.5" procomp lift,
37/13.50/20 Toyo Muds, XD Hoss Bronze Rims
DP 80e 120r 140
JW VB, Racer X TC
DIY intake, 4" straight before RW
Kenwood DNX5120, 2 Kicker CVR10's,
Recon lights all out back
Shocker 540 Train Horn Kit

Custom Wrap by
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Well it looks like im going to be getting a garmin then but which model seems to be the best theres like 500 differnt models it seems on there site

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Well it looks like im going to be getting a garmin then but which model seems to be the best theres like 500 differnt models it seems on there site
What model do you need is the question.. What is it that your looking to do with it.. Once a month, use it everyday,???
What do you need it to do?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 PM

The link I gave you from wally world for the 350 is more than I ever needed. I never used half the stuff on this thing..
$148.00 and your done..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode