high idle mod - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

high idle mod

i have a 97 7.3 f250 and winter hit hard here in st. louis it is COLD any the truck ran horrible until i let it warm up and that took for ever. any way i found this and want to know if anyone has done it or something like it for a high idle, and will it work on my truck this one seems to be very easy.

High Idle Mod

thanks in advance
Clutzmi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 F250 OBS 7.3 Turbo Diesel 4X4, ISPRO gauges (boost, pyro, trans temp), Boost fooler, BB mod, Custom DIY cold air intake, CCV mod, 3" Diamond Eye down pipe, 4" exhaust, no cat, no muffler, Fog Lights, wheels and 285/75/16 tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:51 AM
USASF Retired

Re: high idle mod

Will this work on a 96?

1996 F-350 Crewcab 4x4 7.3 PSD E4OD

"The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them." - Raymond S. Kraft

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Super Hauler!

found the same thing a few years back, says it works on all 7.3's superduty's and obs trucks. Try it let us know if it works. It all makes sence for the wiring

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Awesome I know what I will be doing soon thats cool now I dont have to give up a spot on my chip.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:56 AM
USASF Retired

I think I will give it a try, it has been pretty cold out, I think it would help. I wonder if you can get it to work with the parking brake off to use for winching.

1996 F-350 Crewcab 4x4 7.3 PSD E4OD

"The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them." - Raymond S. Kraft

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:18 AM
All Jacked up on Mt Dew!!

the write up was on a 2003 6.0. Are the same steps needed to do this to a 7.3?

Early 99, 12" lift, 4" straight pipe 6" tip, tymar, Edge Juice w/ attitude, Edge Evolution, DDP injectors, Zoodad mod, CCV mod, crossover line, Return shimed, 38/15.50/18 Toyo MT's 4.56 gears and ARB, Water/Meth injection, Tru speed, 300k on the dial, more mods on the wish list.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 AM
PSN Veteran

I don't think its gonna work on the 7.3 (a separate Auxilliary Idle Controller was used on the 7.3 and I've never seen anyone wire a "single-wire" solution like this). You can build your own Idle Control for relatively cheap. It won't be rock-steady when the truck is cold and warming up (RPMs will increase as the friction losses decrease during warmup), but once it's warmed up idle will be fairly steady. I have a crude diagram and writeup for the one I have been using since 2001 or so. PM me your email address if you want me to send it to you. Cheers!

Added in edit: The mod described may work on 1997 (and later 7.3's). The 1997 EVTM does show wire 323 (Power Take-Off Feed, Light Blue with Yellow trace wire) on PCM connector pin 10. My 1996 and earlier EVTMs do not show it. Cheers again!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Last edited by Patrick Feeley; 12-05-2009 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Added comment on 1997 trucks
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
I don't think its gonna work on the 7.3 (a separate Auxilliary Idle Controller was used on the 7.3 and I've never seen anyone wire a "single-wire" solution like this). You can build your own Idle Control for relatively cheap. It won't be rock-steady when the truck is cold and warming up (RPMs will increase as the friction losses decrease during warmup), but once it's warmed up idle will be fairly steady. I have a crude diagram and writeup for the one I have been using since 2001 or so. PM me your email address if you want me to send it to you. Cheers!
PM sent

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:34 AM
PSN Veteran

OK here's another edit to the above (can't edit message past 30 minutes without contacting administrator ... dumb rule BTW): Wire 294 is the instrument illumination feed on the OBS trucks so you'll have to use another "hot in run" wire to tap. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:09 PM
PSN Veteran

get a hi idle setting for your chip much cheaper than a Aic

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode