CB mount and bed lights - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

CB mount and bed lights

The wife went out of town so I actually had some free time to work on the truck today and I was feeling proud of myself so I thought I would post some pics.

I hate screwing or drilling holes in visible places (especially the interior) for anything that may not be 100% permanent so I got some aluminum plate and made a mount for the CB using the visor mounts and the dome light. I notched the plate to match the existing headliner holes and screwed the visor mounts and dome light back into place. I also put some extra hidden screws into the braces under the headliner that the plastic covers up so if I decide to remove it all you wont see anything. I wasn't too sure about how stable it would be, but with the slight bend in the aluminum that follows the headliner its really solid.

And I saw someone on a different forum do this and I thought it looked like a good idea, I installed 2 lights in the truck bed and 1 in the tool box. Everything is wired off the upfitter switches on the dash. No more fishing around in the dark!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 03:37 AM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753
Re: CB mount and bed lights

I love the toolbox/bed lights, been wanting to do this a lot myself. Do you have any more details on what you used for lights and what not? Looks like that single light on the toolbox lid is all ya need to light it up.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Custom Trailer Sales

That cb mount turned out great, I like the way it looks and serves its intended purpose! I did something similar, but I just bolted mine right up.
I got rid of the rear view mirror to.

Those bed light also look good, kinda makes me want to do that.

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM
PSN Local

love the bed lights, please post up what you used.

Thanks
Jay

1999.5 F250 CCSB 4x4 stock for now
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I got the lights at Northern Tool they were $12 bucks for the pair and I figured if they get broken they are cheap enough to replace. Which is a good thing because I dropped one and broke it when I was installing them :) Ran the wires under the truck following the frame until the corner of the bed next to the gas tank then routed them up. If you look under the frame rails of the truck you will see some small holes all the way down the inner bed rail for the plastic rail caps. These holes allow you to run the wire between the inner and outer fender sheets. You can see the wire sticking out of the hole to the left of the light in this next photo.

I spent about 30 mins trying to decide where to put the lights. I was originally going to put them in the back corner of the bed behind the tail light, but I figured they might get broken too easily there. I tucked the lights up under the rails as tight as I could to keep them out of the way but still have a good amount of light. I screwed the lights into the inner fender using some SHORT self tapping screws. You gotta be careful not to screw too long of a screw, or put the brackets too high up in the corner or you may punch a hole in your outer fender.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 04:44 PM
PSN Veteran

I just added another list of thing to do....bed lights.

If it were me though, i would have painted the aluminum cb mount the same as the interior color, so there isn't so much glare.

2003 F-350 4x4 SC 7.3, WOP QSSB Turbo, Isspro Gauges, MBRP 4 inch, AFE Stage II, , DP Tuned Stock, HI, 40t, 60t, 80t, 80e, 120R, 140ex, 6.0 Trans Cooler, 08 Tow Mirrors, 35in Kumho Mts

1993 International 4600 Dump, 7.3 IDI
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakster View Post
I just added another list of thing to do....bed lights.

If it were me though, i would have painted the aluminum cb mount the same as the interior color, so there isn't so much glare.
I am probably going to paint it black to match the trim, I wanted to get it installed and working first to make sure I dont need to modify anything. And there is hardly any glare from it since its against the roof.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 02:14 PM
PSN Local

love them galaxy's, nice set up.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Waitin' on 500

i like the cb mount, its pretty sweet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Single Cab Dually
S366 w/Irate mount and plenums, EFuel, Intercooler, P.I.S 175/80s,
Corbeau seats w 08 console, 19.5s, Black Interior with swede headliner and visors,
Custom badges, Flight Fab/DIY traction bars.

2012 CCSB F250 Ultimate Lariat.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Ive got to get a toolbox light one day and some bed lights.

I looked at a superduty once on a carlot that had what I thought were factory bedlights. Reminded me of how swimming pool lights are done. Was flash mount into the bed. I figured it was factory from the looks of it.

Anyone ever seen factory bedlights like that?

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode