CB mount - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Twitch

CB mount

Where is a good place to mount a CB in my truck. I have the center console and mileage lie o meter on the roof as well. Any ideas or pics?

02 F250 4x4..."Smokey"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 PM
PSN Local

Re: CB mount

I put mine just under the little storage spot below the 4x4 switch

"I sprinkle diamonds on everything I eat. 1.Cause its the most ballin thing you can do to your food, and 2.Cause it makes my doodie twinkle!"-Dave Chapelle

2004 F250 FX4, Straight Piped, 3" Lift, 18" Moto Metal Wheels on Terra Grapplers, Manual Lockers

1994 Honda Accord (DD), Bone Stock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1989 Mustang Coupe w/ extras
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 PM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

I like wher I have mine...

I think in your truck the front of the console would work pretty good. I believe trailerhauler has his on the roof too but not sure if he has the little mileage console.

That ugle gap between the headliner and console has been fixed since that pic was taken. Also I put the mic holder on the side of the console.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Cat Tech.

Since there is no smoking in my truck, I took the ashtray out and mine is mounted in there. I dont have a big one like in the above pic, but I really dont need it either.

1997 F350 CC LWB "stock"
Lets be nice to Terrorist, and send them to see the 72 virgins.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
I like wher I have mine...

I think in your truck the front of the console would work pretty good. I believe trailerhauler has his on the roof too but not sure if he has the little mileage console.

That ugle gap between the headliner and console has been fixed since that pic was taken. Also I put the mic holder on the side of the console.
How did you get that ce in there and whats holding it in and im assumeing you have to make the hole in the overhead console bigger to right.

2011 F-350 Crew Cab Long Bed FX4 King Ranch
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 PM
6Leaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordSuperDuty05 View Post
How did you get that ce in there and whats holding it in and im assumeing you have to make the hole in the overhead console bigger to right.
yea I dunno if I would do it again. Took A LOT of plastic welding but has held quite solid for the 3 years it has been up there.

Warning the images you are about to see are graphic and shouldn't be viewed by the easily sickened or small children

This is what the hidden portion of the console looked like

I had to cut out the sides to widen it, and also cut out the back of it. Luckily I stopped before I completely removed the top and welded in "supports" to hold it before it was completely severed.

even had to cut out some for the wires to pass

final view of the carnage. All the plastic welded to it were pieces I had already cut off. I added the 3 strips to brace against flexing of the large flat surface

2 bolts through the roof of the console are what hold the CB to it, and then the console mounts to the truck in a factory manor, 1 tab at the front and then 2 push clips at the back

The exterior piece ended up getting the opening cut wider just slightly, actually straight down from the top portion to the bottom of the opening, can't even tell until you look up close. Also the sunglass holder fully functions

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Before you buy a typical CB you need to look at these two units, no mounting required.

I just bought this unit. Completely mobile.

Midland 75-822 Handheld CB Radio - $94.95

If i was going to put a permanent mount in my truck it would definitely be this one, the entire radio is the hand held mic, that is all the needs to be mounted in the truck. An external speaker can also be run with this one. You absolutely can not beat the price for this radio. Another great feature is that you can disconnect it and, it's like you never had a CB in your truck.

Cobra 75 WX ST Compact CB Radio - $99.95

Watch the videos on that website, they have vid for just about all there products.

Remember it's not the radio that makes CB transmission/receiving better or worse, it's all in the antenna. All CBs by law are required to put out the same power in watts, so spend the money on the antenna and not the radio.

JDC...no offense, but it seems like a lot of work to stick a CB in the upper console when you can get one that is just a MIC.

2003 F-350 4x4 SC 7.3, WOP QSSB Turbo, Isspro Gauges, MBRP 4 inch, AFE Stage II, , DP Tuned Stock, HI, 40t, 60t, 80t, 80e, 120R, 140ex, 6.0 Trans Cooler, 08 Tow Mirrors, 35in Kumho Mts

1993 International 4600 Dump, 7.3 IDI
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 AM
6Leaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakster View Post
JDC...no offense, but it seems like a lot of work to stick a CB in the upper console when you can get one that is just a MIC.
non taken, thats why I said I don't think I would go through the process again. Was a learning process if anything, never had plastic welded before and had no use for the console as it was.

We had that mic only one in the camper truck and it never seemed to work very good. For a basic unit where you don't want the clutter it certainly works great. We put it in my dads regular cab. Throw it behind the seat when not in use and a magnetic cheapy antenna from radio shack that can mount on the fuel tank, wire passes through the cab vent.

Hoping to send my radio out at some point to get peeked and tuned and the rest setup better in the future, seems I am getting to the point not of redoing everything on my truck lol

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:58 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
non taken, thats why I said I don't think I would go through the process again. Was a learning process if anything, never had plastic welded before and had no use for the console as it was.

We had that mic only one in the camper truck and it never seemed to work very good. For a basic unit where you don't want the clutter it certainly works great. We put it in my dads regular cab. Throw it behind the seat when not in use and a magnetic cheapy antenna from radio shack that can mount on the fuel tank, wire passes through the cab vent.

Hoping to send my radio out at some point to get peeked and tuned and the rest setup better in the future, seems I am getting to the point not of redoing everything on my truck lol
do you guys tune your antenna with an SRW meter? That's more important than tuning the radio. I don't have the MIC CB but all the reviews i seem to read say it's a great radio, just might need a louder external speaker.

By the way i bought the cheapo magnetic antenna from radio shack too....won't do it again...it whistles like crazy, so annoying. I bought a K30 magnetic to replace it, the brother to the well known K40 antenna.

2003 F-350 4x4 SC 7.3, WOP QSSB Turbo, Isspro Gauges, MBRP 4 inch, AFE Stage II, , DP Tuned Stock, HI, 40t, 60t, 80t, 80e, 120R, 140ex, 6.0 Trans Cooler, 08 Tow Mirrors, 35in Kumho Mts

1993 International 4600 Dump, 7.3 IDI
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:16 AM
6Leaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakster View Post
do you guys tune your antenna with an SRW meter? That's more important than tuning the radio. I don't have the MIC CB but all the reviews i seem to read say it's a great radio, just might need a louder external speaker.

By the way i bought the cheapo magnetic antenna from radio shack too....won't do it again...it whistles like crazy, so annoying. I bought a K30 magnetic to replace it, the brother to the well known K40 antenna.
yup tune the radio and the antenna's for SWR, the cobra 29 has the meter built into it. I currently just use a 4' firestik II fiberglass antenna.

Honestly I don't remember it being too bad of a radio, I think it was just mostly not able to do anything further with it, but then again for many that is perfect right there.

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode