Reverse lights on trailer - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Reverse lights on trailer

I am adding lights to my trailer so that I can see at night when I backup. My question is that I know that I can wire it to my 7 ploe trailer connector to the backup light terminal or pole on the plug. Here is the real question. Is there anyway that I can put a toggle switch that I can turn them on other than just putting it in reverse that way if I am loading the trailer at night I can just flip the toggle switch with the truck in park. Any help would be greatley appreciated.
Thanks,

1997 F-250 xtended cab short bed POWERSTROKE
151,000 miles and counting
auto w/ 3.55s BD downpipe w/ straight pipe exhaust
Tymar intake
Banks Big Hoss 100hp chip-want a TW chip
Banks turbo housing, Banks transcommand
SS brush guard, chrome nerf bars, Cobra 29 w/ Wilson 1000 magnet mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 02:00 PM
PSN nerd

Re: Reverse lights on trailer

yeah if you find the reverse switch you can just add another switch with one wire on each side of the reverse switch. Mine is like this also but i have a 5speed right now so it was just right there on the side of the transmission.

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:43 AM
PSN Veteran

There is a pin in the 7-pin coupler for a reverse light. I have one in my truck for my trailer. And yes, you can hook it up to run a toggle and use the reverse indicator, but There isnt enough plugs in the Coupler, so you'd have to tap into the trucks harness, after locating which wire it was.

When you find the wire, goto radio shack, and pick up some resistors, I think thats the word, just tell them you want to solder in resistors that only let current flow ONE WAY that will support 12v, and whatever wattage lights your running. Solder one in before your tap, and solder one into your tap (from toggle). That way when you put the truck in reverse it wont backfeed into your toggle, and vise versa. Just remember to only use ONE AT A TIME, dont want to feed more than 12v to the lights.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 09:12 PM
STILL LEARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
There is a pin in the 7-pin coupler for a reverse light. I have one in my truck for my trailer. And yes, you can hook it up to run a toggle and use the reverse indicator, but There isnt enough plugs in the Coupler, so you'd have to tap into the trucks harness, after locating which wire it was.

When you find the wire, goto radio shack, and pick up some resistors, I think thats the word, just tell them you want to solder in resistors that only let current flow ONE WAY that will support 12v, and whatever wattage lights your running. Solder one in before your tap, and solder one into your tap (from toggle). That way when you put the truck in reverse it wont backfeed into your toggle, and vise versa. Just remember to only use ONE AT A TIME, dont want to feed more than 12v to the lights.
Diode is the word you were looking for

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 02:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Thank you, I couldnt think of it lol

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Early bird gets the worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE View Post
yeah if you find the reverse switch you can just add another switch with one wire on each side of the reverse switch. Mine is like this also but i have a 5speed right now so it was just right there on the side of the transmission.
Can you explain this a little more please? I have a 5 spd. also... Can I just splice into one of those wires that leads to the reverse switch? Thanks in advance.

95 F250
Dana 60 swap
9" lift/40x13.5x20 ProComps
ZF5 swap/short throw/SouthBend CON OFE
Rosewood stage I's
TW live tuned
SD innercooler
AFE CAI
autometer pyro,boost
6" black miters
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:45 AM
PSN nerd

I tapped both wires where the reverse harness goes back to the frame and ran two wires into the switch in the cab and have a single pole switch where i just put one wire on each side of the switch and it just bypasses the reverse switch

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Early bird gets the worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE View Post
I tapped both wires where the reverse harness goes back to the frame and ran two wires into the switch in the cab and have a single pole switch where i just put one wire on each side of the switch and it just bypasses the reverse switch
excellent. thanks.

95 F250
Dana 60 swap
9" lift/40x13.5x20 ProComps
ZF5 swap/short throw/SouthBend CON OFE
Rosewood stage I's
TW live tuned
SD innercooler
AFE CAI
autometer pyro,boost
6" black miters
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
Just remember to only use ONE AT A TIME, dont want to feed more than 12v to the lights.
Ummm, that's not how voltage works. The electrical system can't feed more than 12V (well, 14.5-ish with the engine running) to ANY circuit (well, without a voltage converter of some kind, like for our injectors, but that's another story). Think of it this way; our trucks have two 12V batteries, but since they're connected in parallel, they still supply 12V to the system, right?

The only risk in running two supplies to a circuit at the same time is that with one energized and the other not, you can get current flow from one supply to the other, which would energize other circuits on that supply. That's why you put in the diodes.

But this doesn't a simple switch circuit light the reverse lights. If you simply wire in another switch in parallel with the switch on the tranny, as JAKE did (that's an example of a parallel connection), it wouldn't matter if both switches are closed at the same time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 02:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Well, i was misinformed. I always knew to put diodes in because of backfeeding, and was told that you could possibly fry something when two 12v sources were fed into one thing.

But, im not here to argue. so glad that its all straight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode