best lights for 02 front end - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

best lights for 02 front end

I am intrested in upgrading my head lights as they are dim and yellowing.

Question that i have is can the 05-07 be adjusted? I not crazy of the finished look under the hood. OR

Should i just replace them with the factory clear again and add a retro-solutions kit?

Which retro-solutions kit do i get? 5000? What buld do i replace the fog with as well that is not Hid.

Please advice as i only want to do this once.

I am not doing a 05 conversion at this time neigther.

Fully SWAMPED motor. GTX4294r, 300cc 200%, BTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: best lights for 02 front end

yep the 05's are adjustable up and down. I got the 6k set..
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

will there be a differance in the retro-solutions kits between the 05 lights and the 02 lights. So if i decide to change the lenses later i can?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
PSN Veteran

you can just change the bulbs then...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:46 PM
PSN Veteran

The '05 up housings suck, The H13-9008 used in the '05 up trucks is quite possibly the stupidest design for a bulb ever foisted on the public. The terminals are so small that they overheat, even at stock wattages, and melt the plastic housing of the connectors. Higher than stock wattage bulbs are offered, but not recommended. There are Chinese connectors that are being used to make these kits and no harness will fix the problem of to small of terminals. As of now no USA made plugs are made that I have seen and wouldn't solve the problem anyway.

You have the best headlight housings made now just get new '02-04 housings and with the addition of Hella harness and a set of their 80/100w 4k kelvin bulbs will give you fantastic lighting.

You can also do a fog bulb upgrade..75% as bright as Hids and mod the switch to use them with your high beams.

H4, 9004 and 9007 bulbs are dual element lamp – both low and high beam. An HID capsule is a single element so you loose one of the beams – more often you loose the low. Notice also that the low beam has a shield next to it – an HID Capsule does not.

The light sources in any lamp must be precisely placed at the design focal point. The lens/reflector assembly is computer designed for the shape of the light source. You cannot retrofit a standard HID capsule with the H1, H3, H4, H7 or 9000 series mounting hardware and precisely position the light source because the design of the bulb base is not precise enough. A lamp designed for a D2S capsule has a precision machined capsule holder, not a stamped steel or molded plastic one.

The light source of an HID is a totally different shape than the light source of a filament bulb. The source for a halogen bulb is an axial filament with a length and a width. The source of a D2S, or D2R HID Capsule is a globular point. Want to see how precise a filament has to be placed? Take a look at the two filaments in an H4 bulb and see how close they are – that’s all the difference between a high beam and a low beam pattern. Now take a look at a 9004 or 9007 – the two filaments are right next to each other. The difference between a high and a low beam is fractions of a millimeter.

There are a number of fly-by-nights out there modifying the standard D2S HID Capsule to fit in some of the other bulb mounts, but those are dangerous to use in a DOT lamp. They put out 2 times the light of a halogen bulb – but because of the DOT pattern, oncoming traffic is going to be dazzled by the extra light. That’s all fine and good if you don’t mind blinding oncoming traffic. Best case, everyone flashes at you – worst case, they swerve into your lane because they can’t see. Somewhere in between, a state trooper runs you down and makes you get your lights fixed – there goes your investment down-the-drain.

You may have seen Hella HID conversions kits on the internet. I spoke to Hella and asked them why I couldn’t handle them. They said they don’t make those kits. Some one is buying our ballasts and capsules, modifying the capsules and passing them off as a Hella products

Another problem you are going to have is the wavelength of the light output is a short wavelength – which means it dazzles and diffracts much more than the warmer, longer wavelength of a halogen source. One of the reasons gas discharge technology is only on high-end cars is that most are now going to a “self-leveling” system for the headlamps to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic in acceleration situations and when cresting a hill. You won’t have this and the risk that you will dazzle oncoming traffic is enhanced because you don’t. Hold your breath the first time you dazzle an oncoming state trooper and you can’t dip you running light.

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

OBSWIZ

Thanks for the right up. You have great valid points.

Is there a part number for both of the bulbs ( head lights, fog) and the harness along with how to rig the switch for the fog.

Where can i get one from and how much?

I am looking for the most light possible but still be reliable.

Thanks again.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Lost Cause

The retrofit technology of HID is changing. 3 months ago one could argue all those points, but already today you can get products that maintain the beam pattern and distinct upper cut-off line in a Hi-Low HID system.

2016 F-350, FX4, CCLB, 6.7PSD, 7" OUO/ICON/FOX lift, 38x13.50-18 Toyo MT
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Who is Obama?

Send a message via AIM to razorscs

OBSWIZ, you absolutely can get a dual element HID, in fact I have that on my truck right now.

SOLD 2002 F350

SOLD2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII

NEW 2004 F250 CCSB 4" Lift on 35" Road Venture AT KL78, Matt's tunes, Turbo Back Exhaust, River City 62mm Non-Vgt Turbo.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Razarscs,

What kit did you get? How do you like it?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:49 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Light is light. If its 4300k hid or a 4300k halogen its the same light. It doesnt reflect off stuff differently or anything else. Hids use less power, make less heat and last longer. You wont find halogen lighting at sporting events in large stadiums either....

If you cant afford hids then a good halogen is a good choice. But if your willing to spend the money. Hids are what you buy.

As for the reason the new model vehicles with factory hids have auto leveling its because hids are so much BRIGHTER than the old halogens that the cheaper bottom end non luxed out cars they make for the masses that cant afford the higher end nice lighting have.

The old halogen lights have a far worse problem with vertical unwanted light polution than the hids. But they are so dim in comparison to a quality hid kit that no one cares if the bounderies have bleed over, because they dont bother people.

Hids hurt when you get them in your face. The auto leveling on the factory vehicles solve this somewhat. They still have the same problem that shows up when the person in front of you is actually lower than your vehicle but your on level ground. Also they have a limit on how far they can auto adjust so you can wind up blinding people with the factory ones too.

A quality hid kit has a very pronounced light cut off that halogens lack. If you aim them responsibly you wont get flashed and you wont bother people that much. But face it when you put a gazillion candle power on the front of a vehicle its still going to be painfully bright even if the headlights are aimed directly at the ground.

Try putting some kc daylighters on the front of your truck and running them as headlights. They are halogens just a ton brighter than anything available for normal headlights. Your going to be supporting those statetroopers for years to come.

As for the hi/low issue. There isnt one with any of the high quality hid kits. They are high and low beam lights. The bulb itself shifts in the housing to change from low to high. This actual has an advantage over dual element halogens as they turn off for a second going from high to low or vice versa. One element goes off and the other element comes on. Hids with high/low just move the bulb. No flash, no gap in lighting. Just smooth transition as the bulb changes from high to low.

Hids are far more shock resistant than halogen bulbs, last far longer and use less power. Even a 55watt hid system onces energized only pulls 35watts or less normally. So thats 70 watts total power consumption or load on your electrical system. An 80w/100w halogen pulls a full 100watts on highbeam. Thats 200watts total power when your driving down the road at night.

So the halogens are using 130watts more power than the hids system. Thats 130watts you no longer have available to power your wipers, a/c, fan and other electrical needs in a bad storm.

If your alternator goes out at night you can drive farther on a hid based system than you can a halogen system.

The hids should be better on your headlight housings and cause them to yellow less. Not exactly sure on this but it sounds good

Anyway Im a hid fan as anyone could tell from the above post. If there was something I thought was better than the hids for headlights Id buy it. I havent seen anything that touches them in my opinion. Ive run piaa, silvania, hella, ge, and a few others. I couldnt find anything I remotely liked.

Now I will admit I doubt I'll upgrade my bmw. Its running halogen bulbs and it does pretty good but it has a vastly superior headlight housing than anything available for our trucks. It would probably be even better with hids but I cant see changing them since they do all I want.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode