4x4 Dash Switch Not Engaging? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

4x4 Dash Switch Not Engaging?

Got a buddy with an '02. The 4x4 on the dash won't engage. No 4x4 light comes on and nothing engages. Anything in particular I should check? Thanx!

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 4x4 Dash Switch Not Engaging?

i'd check connection on transfer case first.

01 c/c sb 8 inch lift 39.5 swampers (ON THE ROAD AGAIN)
00 F450 (SOLD)
newest addition 06 F150 (STOCK)SSHHHHHH don't tell her its a work truck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hold my beer & watch this sh1t!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker99 View Post
I'm not arguing with you but I don't see how it was a bad vacumn hose. When the light illuminates on the dash that means the transfer case has shifted to 4X4 High or Low. There is nothing that runs off of vacumn on this side of 4X4. Vacumn is only used to locked the hubs on the ESOF system.

Without ruling out a bad relay, wire harness, etc. I would check for codes in the GEM module. The GEM module is what controls the 4X4 functions. I am having the same problem right now except might light will not come on whatsoever and therefore the transfer case will not shift into 4X4. I've ruled out everything else it could be, checked for stored codes with my AE software, and finally had to end up calling a friend of mine who is a Ford tech and he brought his scanner home to look at the PID for the GEM module. When he looked at the 4X4 side it came back as "Unavailable". Currently, I am waiting on a used module to see if this fixes my problem. I apologize for the book, just wanted to explain it in detail. Hope this helps.

John
this post seemed helpful to me once.
mine was just a vac leak, might my 4x4 light worked.

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

Thanx!

EMPIRE DIESEL, PERFORMANCE TRUCK PRODUCTS, CEN-TEX DIESEL PERFORMANCE, AND DIESEL INNOVATIONS

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 AM
2Cruel

could be a ton of crap, Mine was a fuse was loose in the panel you could put a little pressure in a twisting fashion on the fuse and it would work fine. Ended up disasembling the panel and replaced the contacts in the fuse box its actually supper easy

MPH Enterprises
2L Motorsports
SWAMPS Extreme Powerstroke Performance

Powerstroke Everywhere
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:04 AM
<--Spy Vs. Spy

I probaby have a switch he could try Danny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 AM
PSN Veteran

I'm having the same issue after a trans install, so I'm wondering if stuff didn't get hooked up right. Have a friend with the same issue, and his will occasionally work after he has messed with hub o rings. My guess would be if there is no light that it is an issue between the transfer case and switch since that is the electronic part. I also have ####ty O rings in the hubs that won't hold pressure but it would still go into 4x4 before the trans install.

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:17 AM
dinnerbooter treasurer

When I swapped out my transmission my motor on the transfer case stopped working. My friend has a spare I put it in and problem solved.

93 F350 Gasser
03 F250 6.0

dinnerbooter #3
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:09 AM
PSA

i have the same issue, but the light comes on...believe my hubs are fubar anyways but I also cant switch the vents from defrost. Heard its all vaccum related so I replaced the vacuum pump (it was shot) and its still not working. Cant seem to find any leaks anywheres.

Any tips?

Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:17 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
i have the same issue, but the light comes on...believe my hubs are fubar anyways but I also cant switch the vents from defrost. Heard its all vaccum related so I replaced the vacuum pump (it was shot) and its still not working. Cant seem to find any leaks anywheres.

Any tips?

Thanks
How have you checked for leaks? I have a little pump tester deal with different fittings and hoses that you stick in you lines or on the nipples of the hubs and you can watch if the gauge holds steady or bleeds off. Best way I have found to test. The lines get weak and brittle, and the o-rings in the hubs get to where they don't seal, if you have a light and with the vacuum issues I would assume it has to be the o-rings or lines.

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode