Remote start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Remote start

so thare are a few small threads about remote start systems for diesels but i would like more feedback. we just had the first 30 degree night and it got me thinking so what brands do you guys have? how do you like them and maybe a price you had to pay? im not interested in the alarms but others may be so post that too. Thanks Guys

2000 F-250 factory forged, six speed, 6" lift 37's on 20's, DP f-6,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Rollin' Coal

Re: Remote start

Just had a full remote start and alarm installed. Paid $430 or so installed. Working great so far, it's a Viper 5701 and does the job. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:55 PM
PSN Newb

Send a message via AIM to Trigger5150af

How do you deal with the glow plug delay?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:05 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Alarms on our trucks have to use the delay timer feature. You set a time delay for how long you want it to run the glowplugs before trying to start.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:49 PM
PSN Local

Most, of the newer one's have a diesel "wire" of sorts that hooks into your glow plug circuit. Sometimes it will cycle 2X which is fine. Mine also has a turbo cool down built in.

Mods to be listed after truck is running.......

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 02:24 PM
id: 5520

Mine has a Viper in it with an adjustable cool down. The cool down works like this.. Before you turn the key to off, there is a button on the dash, you push and hold your brake peddle down and each time you push the button counts for 5 minutes. Then take your key out. the truck will run for however long you set it for. And it locks the doors after it shuts down. If you touch the brake while in cool down mode it kills the truck so no one can steel it..
It works perfect..
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammac View Post
Most, of the newer one's have a diesel "wire" of sorts that hooks into your glow plug circuit. Sometimes it will cycle 2X which is fine. Mine also has a turbo cool down built in.
I wasnt going to mention that since its complicated with our trucks.

If you hook the wire to the light on the dash it can screw up the pcm. Theres a bunch of articles on this on alarm installer sites so its considered a no no.

The 2nd option for direct wiring is to hook to the gpr. Sure that gives you an accurate when to crank point because the glow plugs are truly off at that point. But the glow plugs run up to 2 minutes if its even remotely cold outside. Not good either

Thus the only real option is to use the timer feature of the alarm like I mentioned.

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 PM
id: 5520

Mine gp remote system is timed at 25 seconds..It isn't hooked to the remote start at all. I didn't want anything wired to that circuit..
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 AM
PSN Pretender

We use AstroStarts up here and they work well, they to have built in turbo timers and many different options to set up your glow plug delay.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Village Idiot

i put a crime stoppers unit in mine.
a very time consuming install there are a few wires to splice.
one good option is to get a harness adapter the plugs in between the main harness under the steering wheel, that way your not splicing your oem,
it also comes with a few leads ready to hook up.

my unit can either tap the glowplug relay timer circut, or you can give it a default time...which i did.
it hooks into the horn, lights, door locks,( in two spots)has a hood latch, sensor, and then the starter circut and power in a couple of spots.
it has a pitstop/turbo time built in so 1~5 pushes of a small switch gives you 1 min of idle per push, best part is the range of the remote, and of course the remote start...

personally if i had the money i would do a viper kit and pro install as long as the install was 350 or less (more like 200)

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode