Recon Cab Roof Light Install on 2011 F250 (Questions) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Swampy

Recon Cab Roof Light Install on 2011 F250 (Questions)

When I was searching for the perfect truck to buy I found it, it just didn't have one of the many things I wanted-cab roof lights. I did some research and found Recon makes a full kit (wiring and everything) for the Super Duty. I've seen posts about it on OBS' but wasn't sure if it was close to even being the same.

My truck does not have a sunroof so I figured it'd be easy enough to do on my own, just wondering if anyone has put the kit in before (#264143AM). Also tips on headliner and pillar removal would be greatly appreciated as well as the best place to wire too. It may say in the kit instructions but I'd rather have personal opinions before I go out and buy them for good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Root Beer 2011 F250 Lariat CCSB
H&S Mini Maxx, 5" Flo Pro, 5X7X15 Flo Pro tip, Sinister Diesel EGR Delete
Living the PICKER life. Alberta, Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:38 AM
PSN Local

Re: Recon Cab Roof Light Install on 2011 F250 (Questions)

I bought smoked cab lights from recon and they are great! I did not want to put them in myself, i had them done at the ford dealer and the only charged $150. The lights cost $120 themselves including shipping so I paid under $300 and personally if you don't 1000% trust yourself drilling holes in your roof I would have them do it. I mean its a newer nice truck so i wouldnt want to take the chance not spacing them right or somethin like that I would just pay the couple hundred dollars. Just my thoughts

2004 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed, Lariat, 6 Inch Suspension Lift, 315/75/16 Coopers, Moto Metal 951 Wheels, Black Billet Grill, Smoked Halo HID's, Smoked Recon Mirror Turn Signals, LED Cab Lights, LED 3rd Brake Lights, Black 08 Super Duty Rear Bumper, 5 Inch Turbo Back Exhaust
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Swampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbannow View Post
I bought smoked cab lights from recon and they are great! I did not want to put them in myself, i had them done at the ford dealer and the only charged $150. The lights cost $120 themselves including shipping so I paid under $300 and personally if you don't 1000% trust yourself drilling holes in your roof I would have them do it. I mean its a newer nice truck so i wouldnt want to take the chance not spacing them right or somethin like that I would just pay the couple hundred dollars. Just my thoughts
That's a good point, I guess I should have mentioned the fact that I already asked the dealer, they said $1200...labour mostly for the headliner removal and wiring etc plus purchase of the lights which up here is $150...so I'm still keeping my options open. I've also heard the Recon harnesses are cheaply made and to just wire the lights directly to a Ford harness and install it that way.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Administrator

no way would I put Recons on a nice new truck

I was sorry I did mine leaky lenses peeling paint ( painted black over shiny chrome )

i would go oem and if u want smoked lenses and LED just buy those aftermarket

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 11:04 PM
PSN Local

Purchase the correct harness from Ford. It is super easy to install. It will just plug in and then there are clips that will just line up with existing holes. You don't have to remove the headliner completely. You just need to remove enough trim to get it to drop far enough up front to get your hands up there. The lights are $18.05 each and the harness should be $40-50 depending on which one you need.

2006 F-250 6.0 Auto CC SB 4x4
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Swampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
no way would I put Recons on a nice new truck

I was sorry I did mine leaky lenses peeling paint ( painted black over shiny chrome )

i would go oem and if u want smoked lenses and LED just buy those aftermarket
Yeah that's what I was worried about;drilling holes in a nice new truck...got me to thinking if it was worth it. The OEM ones are $1200 installed...not sure on the price of me purchasing them myself, I will look into that.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Swampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlez View Post
Purchase the correct harness from Ford. It is super easy to install. It will just plug in and then there are clips that will just line up with existing holes. You don't have to remove the headliner completely. You just need to remove enough trim to get it to drop far enough up front to get your hands up there. The lights are $18.05 each and the harness should be $40-50 depending on which one you need.
I'm gonna remember this post for sure...thanks! I would rather do OEM and do it right then cheaper aftermarket crap!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 AM
Administrator

yup grab the OEM from ebay or one of the ford dealers on this site ( cheaper than most dealers ) and go for it

like mentioned some with the older trucks Me included didn't need to drop the headliner just the visors /handles and overhead console no clue if yours is the same without seeing it

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 AM
PSN Local

For those interested its pretty easy to do. Buy oem lights. The recon look nice at first but when the cheap LEDs go out your going to have to drop the headliner again to replace the entire light assembly. Dropping the head liner isn't hard unless you have the moonroof, and roof console thing. Remove the a pillars by unbolting the grab handles and pulli straight out. Once your done with that undo the visors and the headliner will drop enough for you to get to the roof to install cab lights. Here is a good link for you to follow. I put a little but of clear silicone around the holes I cut to make sure no water got in and to protect the bare metal from rusting. I installed my 2010 cab lights back in early 2010 and a few weeks ago I installed the atomic led cab lights that strobe and when I pulled the oem lights I installed a few years ago there was zero rust!

http://www.emotoman.com/f250/lights/f250lights.htm

T-rav
2010 F350 6.4- H&S, AFE stg 2, newton leveling kit, Newton traction bars and a bunch of LED lights

Holderdown Performance #teamHDP

OUR FLEET: 2014 Platinum F350, 2012 F450 6.7, 2010 F350 6.4, 2005 F350 6.0, 04 F450 6.0
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 02:46 AM
PSN Newb

This is a good write up for installing cab lights also. I plan on putting a set on my truck soon.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...8-f250-278593/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode