Harbor freight winch? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Harbor freight winch?

Seen they had them on sale and I have a 25% off coupon. I could get it for 225. Worth the money? Or just keep looking. It's the 12,000 pound winch.

07 f250 lariat extended cab oxford with black leather - leveling kit - pro comp shocks -35" Toyo a/t tires - 18x9 pacer rims - 4" magnaflow exhaust - sct x3 handheld-kenwood double din - back up camera - 2 kicker comp 10" subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Harbor freight winch?

Ive been looking at them for the trailer. A friend of mine has one and he takes it back right before his 2 year warranty is up and trades it in. He has 6 years doing that and I dont think any of them have been broken.

Point is for the money they arent bad but its not what I would want to rely on in the middle of no where with no cell service and a long walk for help

Trucks and parts............
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well I have been really hard on the last 7 trucks I have owned. Not sure if I would take this one in some of the same places but it's hard to pass up at that price. The research I have done is that the older models had issues with wires shorting something out, they have since fixed the issue. I would take it apart and make sure there are no failure points I could see.

After looking around and reading reviews and tests comparing most winch company's products even some of the more expensive winches crap out before the cheap ones. Why spend 600 on something I could spend 200 on?

07 f250 lariat extended cab oxford with black leather - leveling kit - pro comp shocks -35" Toyo a/t tires - 18x9 pacer rims - 4" magnaflow exhaust - sct x3 handheld-kenwood double din - back up camera - 2 kicker comp 10" subs

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 PM
PSN Veteran

hey I am all for giving it a try. Just not something I would out of the box rely on like my mile marker

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Mile marker are a bit junky IMO, we used them in the army and always broke or never worked to begin with

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Ones we had were never an issue, It was always the rest of the humvee that let us down. Granted their hydraulic winch line is separate from their electric. The sealed solenoid 12k I have has been amazing the past 6 years.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yeah cause its a damn GM motor what do you expect. Heard international was trying to start putting motors in them.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM
PSN Veteran

No idea, When I got out I stopped paying any attention to what was going on.

I didnt have much humvee time anyways. First deployment was mostly foot stuff with a good amount of air assault thrown in. Second was route clearance. Only time I used a humvee was PX runs

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I have extensive humvee time, I worked on them for 7+ years. Took them in mud and had a blast... Ft Stewart, ft Benning, ft huachuca and Iraq. Ft Stewart best mudding, ft huachuca best rock crawling.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:32 PM
PSN Veteran

We had them out in Ft irwin. They were fun out there but it was a lot more fun to use the COB-V (Civilian on the battlefield) trucks out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode