Preventing my Truck from being stolen (again!) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Preventing my Truck from being stolen (again!)

I had my truck stolen this morning... and recovered 45 minutes after I reported it.

Now, I want to take steps to prevent it from being stolen again... because next time I might not get off with just having a couple of lock cylinders punched and my stereo stolen. My first thought goes to installing a kill switch BUT since I live where we get to spend the vast majority of winter in sub-zero temperatures I have installed a command start on the truck, and I don't want to have to give that up. I read somewhere about putting a switch on the brake shift interlock so that the truck can start up but cannot be shifted out of park (and thus the thief can't get very far).

The problem I am having is figuring out which wire I need to wire the switch into! My understanding is that there is already a 2-way switch in the truck from the brake, which feeds both the brake lights and the pcm when the brake is depressed. I think I need to put the switch on the pcm side, that way the truck simply won't shift out of gear OR is there away to directly prevent the interlock solenoid from shifting? I don't have the wiring diagrams for the truck at home

(I usually use the manuals that work has sitting in our main shop but I am working out of a different yard right now and since I am working 70 hour weeks I simply don't have time to get down there to check the manual).

Any advice on how to add a switch to prevent the truck from being driven by a thief in the middle of the night again but still allowing the command start to work when I hit the button would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Preventing my Truck from being stolen (again!)

My car has remote start. It starts without the key but if you try to put it in gear or touch the break before inserting the key it instantly turns off and will not start without the key.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 03:18 AM
"Slap hands slap hands"

I have the same alarm and remote start on mine. Also you can replace the door handles with the ones from the rear just have to buy them so there is no key hole to punch in only possible issue is if your alarm battery dies you have no way to get in your truck. I did this on my Tahoe and loved it. Just some thoughts to get you started. The door handle switch will also prevent people from just breaking into your truck to steal stereo etc... Also without stealing the truck or at least help prevent it. Good luck glad you got your rig back so quick.

JB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 04:00 AM
PSN Veteran

I would go for the door lock hole removal trick with Jimmy jammers. I would think the switch on the wire between the brake pedal and PCM would do the job. Sorry I don't know the wire but that should work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 7.3 Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat
4"dp 5 inch pipes to dual 8 inch stacks (summer)
4" turbo back dual axle dumps (winter)
PHP Hydra (loaded)
Edge insight CTS monitor w/ eas system
17 ton d-ring with solid polished titanium hitch
80% over rosewood injectors
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 AM
PSN Local

Jimmy Jammers and door handles still don't stop the window from being broken out and the truck unlocked from the knob or switch.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:15 AM
PSN Veteran

broken window should set off the alarm. breaking the window would atleast create some noice that someone might hear.

PHP Hydra (loaded)
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:01 AM
"Slap hands slap hands"

If someone wants it that bad there going to get it we are just trying to help the guy out with some alternatives and answer his question. Agree with dsberman94 alarm is def going off with broken window. I know that's enough noise for my dog to go ape $hit and me grab my gun and check it out unlike just easily punching out the key lock in the door or passenger side.

JB
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:08 AM
PSN Veteran

ill fully agree if someone wants in there theyre gonna get in there no matter what. just like if they want to steal a tailgate theyre gonna steal it. whether you put a ziptie on the hinge to make it harder or not, if they really want it they will still do it. but if you make it harder to do they might be detered from doing it after trying multiple times and failing.

PHP Hydra (loaded)
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:32 AM
PSN Veteran

my car also has this little chip right under the column...slides in and out real easy, about the size of a quarter. without the chip in the car is dead...you can leave the keys in it and it can't be started
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 AM
PSN Veteran

you could also just put a hidden kill switch on the ignition power wire. hide the switch somewhere not noticeable. im not sure if it would be possible but maybe you could make it a momentary switch. so that to start the truck and get power to anything you have to hold the switch down then it would get power. im not good with wiring but i can give ideas.

PHP Hydra (loaded)
Transgo tugger kit
dual disc tc
GTP38R
More to come
call me dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode