Opinions on Bully Dog - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Opinions on Bully Dog

I just purchased my first Diesel an 05 excursion 6.0 was looking into the Bully Dog GT Tuner (40420) seems versatile. Anyone have any input on these ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 01:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Opinions on Bully Dog

Stay away. .......you own a Powerstroke...not a Cummins. Sct, H & S, No Limit Tuning Design , Spartan (?), Gearhead, PHP, & DP Tuner- (lots of negative reviews by guys that switched).

06' F250 Harley Davidson Edition(Factory 2.5" lift)CCSB-blue sping kit, ARP, gaskets up, Driven Diesel Coolant Return, Sinister Diesel Coolant filter, Rotella ELC, SCT X4, 55gal Aluminum Fuel tank, B & W turnover. ...Hauling New RV's daily.
02' F250 687,000 miles towing...traded to friend for a boat
Old 09-09-2013, 06:30 AM
PSN Newb

I just picked up the Bully Dog Triple GT Tuner (40420) and installed it Thursday on my 00' 7.3. I love it. On the fly power adjustments, complete diagnostics, and performance monitoring that I can plug into my pc. The 'no power' tune is 10 fold better then stock. When you crank it to extreme, you'll haul @$$ and blow crazy smoke till you get off the throttle. I was looking at the Banks IQ, SCT Livewire, and the Edge CTS. I was wanting a tuner that had all the monitoring capabilities built in, instead of having to buy more gauges for my A pillar. I'd say the Live wire gives you all the functions you could ever ask for, if you know how to use it. But I read it doesn't pair with the 7.3 or I would have bought it. I also heard the SCT Livewire is difficult to navigate for a newbie. Just my two cents. I'm still waiting for my external sensor adapter and pyrometer probe to get here. As the Bully Dog is capable of monitoring anything you can throw at it. Install was a breeze, tech support is amazing, and the fuel economy and power gains are great. I'm very happy with it!

I suggest reading all the reviews from multiple dealer websites till you find what your looking for. I purchased mine through autoanything.com and they hooked me up big time. Great price and next day shipping to Alaska (free shipping down in America). I ordered it and it was sitting on my door step 26hrs later for $8 S&H! That S&H is unheard of here in AK. They are a large distributor with a lot of reviews for your to read through on most of the major tuners. The Bully Dog alone has over 900 reviews on this website.

I'm very happy with it and would buy it again. The unit is smaller that I thought it would be. But that's not a loss in my opinion. It's a breeze to navigate and operate and I LOVE the power and fuel economy I'm getting!

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Bully Dog tuner. I'm not a dealer, just an owner. I'll tell you what I know and have experienced.

2000 F350 SC/LB AUTO 7.3 4x4 offroad lariat

Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 AM
PSN Newb

Also, not sure where your located, but it is not legal in California. I'm sure most of the tuners aren't. youtube is also a good resource if you wanna see one in action.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by rred View Post
I just picked up the Bully Dog Triple GT Tuner (40420) and installed it Thursday on my 00' 7.3. I love it. On the fly power adjustments, complete diagnostics, and performance monitoring that I can plug into my pc. The 'no power' tune is 10 fold better then stock. When you crank it to extreme, you'll haul @$$ and blow crazy smoke till you get off the throttle. I was looking at the Banks IQ, SCT Livewire, and the Edge CTS. I was wanting a tuner that had all the monitoring capabilities built in, instead of having to buy more gauges for my A pillar. I'd say the Live wire gives you all the functions you could ever ask for, if you know how to use it. But I read it doesn't pair with the 7.3 or I would have bought it. I also heard the SCT Livewire is difficult to navigate for a newbie. Just my two cents. I'm still waiting for my external sensor adapter and pyrometer probe to get here. As the Bully Dog is capable of monitoring anything you can throw at it. Install was a breeze, tech support is amazing, and the fuel economy and power gains are great. I'm very happy with it!

I suggest reading all the reviews from multiple dealer websites till you find what your looking for. I purchased mine through autoanything.com and they hooked me up big time. Great price and next day shipping to Alaska (free shipping down in America). I ordered it and it was sitting on my door step 26hrs later for $8 S&H! That S&H is unheard of here in AK. They are a large distributor with a lot of reviews for your to read through on most of the major tuners. The Bully Dog alone has over 900 reviews on this website.

I'm very happy with it and would buy it again. The unit is smaller that I thought it would be. But that's not a loss in my opinion. It's a breeze to navigate and operate and I LOVE the power and fuel economy I'm getting!

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Bully Dog tuner. I'm not a dealer, just an owner. I'll tell you what I know and have experienced.
Does you tranny get hot with the bullydog? The reason I ask is because when I bought my (7.3 way back) when I bought the bullydog from a friend the trans kept on getting hot and it did not want to shift in to overdrive or go over 50 MPH. Was getting tired of all the problems that the bullydog gave me. I sold it and bought a DP-tuner. Still have the DP and now run A PHP Hydra for all my new parts injectors etc. Just my 2 cents. PS I wish I had a excursion
Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 PM
PSN Newb

Um, I haven't had any trans issues. It definitely shifts smooth and firm. But I haven't put any serious miles on it yet with the bully dog. I know that with the Bully Dog GT, you can have it relearn your transmission for ample shift points. I'm pretty sure it increases the pressures in the trans and locks some things up for better trans performance and durability. I could be wrong though.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Blow crazy smoke until you let off the throttle..... Wasted power.....
Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'm located in Metro NY (Long Island) this is where the truck will be driven daily so I need something that will give me better city mileage with power increase & be able to increase mileage on Long road trips when necessary a few times a year .im not looking to "race" the truck I have a worked supercharged mustang for that but I need to tow ,a lot of stop and go traffic, and some open road... Sorry if it spuds like I'm talking in circles I'm completely new to diesel

Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Spuds = sounds Auto correct will be the death of me

Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 PM
the stryker god

bullydog is junk, anyone who says otherwise is an idiot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in