Viair On-Board Air compressor - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Addict

Viair On-Board Air compressor

I am looking to install one of Viair's on board air compressor kits that include a 5-gallon tank, 400cc compressor, and 2 air connects on the front and rear of the truck for quick connect tools and tire fill lines. Is there a way to use a air dryer from bendix to keep the tank full all the time with no condensation and without having to constantly climb under the truck to open the petcock drain? Also I want it to have a pressure blow off valve like the big rigs do so when the tank gets to 120 psi it automatically shuts the compressor off and blows off the excess air. ( I love that air brake type of sound lol ) so bottom line..is that possible to rig up?

2005 F250 CC SB SRW 4x4 Build Date 02/05 Diamond eye 4 in DP to a 5 in exhaust, SB Intake, SCT 3015, CTS Insight, Blue spring, Sinister Coolant Filter, CCV Mod, Harley Lights, 138k mi and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 04:39 AM
PSN Local

Re: Viair On-Board Air compressor

anything is possible its how much work you wanna do and do you have the resources and knowledge to get it done

2003 F250 6.0. ECSB.
Auto.
EGR Delete Cold air 5" Exhaust and possible headstuds(haven't verified)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 05:29 AM
PSN Veteran

You plumb in and wire in a pressure switch to the compressor and output of the line. My viair 444 shuts off at 180 psi and on at 150.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4

2005 CCLB FX4- studded, blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, 6 inch lift and 35" Nittos

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 02:34 AM
csp
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniper sniper View Post
Also I want it to have a pressure blow off valve like the big rigs do so when the tank gets to 120 psi it automatically shuts the compressor off and blows off the excess air.
That would be a pressure switch with an unloader. You would have to mount it downstream of the compressor to have any air volume between the switch and compressor head to let off. Most likely it won't be enough to hear it.

You can install a water/oil separator somewhere between the compressor and tank to help keep water out of the tank. Given your location I wouldn't think you'd have enough water in the tank to require "constant" draining.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
That would be a pressure switch with an unloader. You would have to mount it downstream of the compressor to have any air volume between the switch and compressor head to let off. Most likely it won't be enough to hear it.

You can install a water/oil separator somewhere between the compressor and tank to help keep water out of the tank. Given your location I wouldn't think you'd have enough water in the tank to require "constant" draining.
Would the level of audible noise from the "unloader" be greater dependent upon what size compressor I have? For instance, a larger stronger compressor may be capable of pushing more volume of air, therefore creating a stronger psi in the line that might make a louder air release noise from the "unloader" ?

2005 F250 CC SB SRW 4x4 Build Date 02/05 Diamond eye 4 in DP to a 5 in exhaust, SB Intake, SCT 3015, CTS Insight, Blue spring, Sinister Coolant Filter, CCV Mod, Harley Lights, 138k mi and counting
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 07:15 PM
PSN Local

no it wouldn't be make more noise. the noise is gonna come from size of exhaust port. you could find a 12v solenoid valve large enough to make some noise but I think your gonna wind up with more of a headache than its worth

2003 F250 6.0. ECSB.
Auto.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Find me in the Sand

Diesel rice

2000 F250 Gearhead tuning, GTP38R, Riff raff FRx, AFEII intake, Edge CTS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Addict

If you buy a air dryer from bendix does it come with a unloader built into it?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 02:13 PM
PSN Local

some do some don't

2003 F250 6.0. ECSB.
Auto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode