Ebay HID 2 28.57%
Stock style smoked lenses 0 0%
Other please leave a reply 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
1st time PS hopeful

Headlight upgrade questions

I wanna upgrade my headlights but not sure what route I want to go, either HID or stay with stock style. I know I wanna black them out, just a preference on aesthetics. I was hoping to get some input from others who have used ebay HIDs and maybe even get some pictures as I don't wanna waste money. Here are the lights that I'm looking at;

Smoked 05 07 F250 F350 F450 Superduty Dual Halo Projector Headlights Left Right | eBay

2005 2006 2007 Ford Super Duty Excursion Pickup Crystal Smoke Headlight Lamp Set | eBay

My questions are these.

Do these type of HID projectors have factory style cutoffs? I dont wanna be blinding people.

Any body use these HID products with success on our trucks? I found some success stories and some failures mostly due to cheap ballasts.

If I wanted to use these housings and upgrade the bulbs and ballasts is that possible?

I don't wanna hear, "retrofit your stock housings", I have done that before and the work involved isnt worth it to me to do it again. Not to mention I drive my truck everyday so cant afford the down time.

1996 F250 single cab

2000 toyota tacoma built for the rocks

2005 F150 CC King Ranch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:17 PM
PSN Local

Re: Headlight upgrade questions

I haven't had personal experience with those headlights, but I remember a guy on a different forum. If I remember correctly, those are halogen projectors, not HID. So, if you put HIDs in them, they will not have the cutoff and the light will not be focused as well. I would email the seller to be sure though...that's the only way you will know for sure.

As for not wanting to retrofit them yourself, I believe that Caryt sells them already retrofitted. If done correctly, HIDs are great on our trucks. I'm very pleased with mine, but I did them myself.

2000 F350 lariat, crew cab, long bed, 4x4, 3.73 limited slip
LASB turbo from Irate Diesel
4" exhaust
Gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost)
AFE Stage 2 XP Pro Guard 7
DP Tuner F6 (no start, stock, 80e, 60e, 60t)
AIH delete and CCV mod
F650 Dash with Carling switches
2002 Headlights with FX-R HID bi-xenon projector retrofit and 50W 5000K bulbs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 PM
'05 Excursion

Personally I wouldn't touch any of these Chinese made "HID" headlights. Everyone of these I've seen used the housing runs real hot and the light flickers on bumpy roads because the light cut off is bouncing. If your going to do it I'd do it the right way and install REAL HID projectors like CT Performance Inc makes but it's your dime do what you feel like paying for.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
1st time PS hopeful

I'll message the guy about the halogen thing. In the ad it says that ir uses H1 bulbs for high and low beam so not sure if that means anything.

1996 F250 single cab

2000 toyota tacoma built for the rocks

2005 F150 CC King Ranch
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughridn_SOB View Post
I'll message the guy about the halogen thing. In the ad it says that ir uses H1 bulbs for high and low beam so not sure if that means anything.
You can get a H1 blub that is either HID or halogen, so that the fact that is uses a H1 bulb does not say a whole lot. I know there are companies that will do the retrofit for you, but they are a bit on the pricey side (that's why I did my own). I know you're worried about down time, so here is another idea. You could always get another set of headlight housings, and retrofit into those. That way you could take your time and do it right, and still be able to drive your truck.

2000 F350 lariat, crew cab, long bed, 4x4, 3.73 limited slip
LASB turbo from Irate Diesel
4" exhaust
Gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost)
AFE Stage 2 XP Pro Guard 7
DP Tuner F6 (no start, stock, 80e, 60e, 60t)
AIH delete and CCV mod
F650 Dash with Carling switches
2002 Headlights with FX-R HID bi-xenon projector retrofit and 50W 5000K bulbs
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:21 AM
PSN Newb

do a retro fit. the only way to go.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM
PSN Veteran

We have true Projection Hids....PM me if I can help.

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 03:04 PM
'05 Excursion

Should post some pics Cary. Sometimes I wonder if guys really know what that means and looks like. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode