Power Inverter - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Thirsty For More

Power Inverter

What power inverters do you guys use? I dont want to spend more than 250 and am looking for lots of power. Planning on mounting in my toolbox and using for power tools and eventually a compressor. Ive been looking around on ebay but dont really know what is good. Anybody help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 AM
PSN Newb

Re: Power Inverter

I've also been wanting to do the same.....BUMP

David
2004 F-250 CCSB 4x4- Sinister Coolant filtration system, CCV reroute. 5" Flo-Pro Exhaust with a 6" MBRP tip, SCT Livewire TS
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 04:49 PM
PSN Local

I mounted mine in the toolbox and it works great. I got it at harbor freight, just a Chicago Electric brand, about 3 years ago. I think it is a 1,000 watt, it will power a porta band saw or a hammer drill no problem. I was also able to tap of the 12 V power and put LED strips in the tool box and under the bed rails to see under the tonneau.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 PM
King Dingaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa-powerstroke View Post
What power inverters do you guys use? I dont want to spend more than 250 and am looking for lots of power. Planning on mounting in my toolbox and using for power tools and eventually a compressor. Ive been looking around on ebay but dont really know what is good. Anybody help me out?
ok...from experience...you aren't going to find one for $250 that will power a air compressor....a few electric tools , yes.......a air compressor, no

Here is the cheapest place I've found...Power Inverters and Accessories by Cobra, KISAE, Magnum Energy, Power Bright, Samlex, Voltec, Wagan and Xantrex - DonRowe.com - Index

You need a MINIMUM of 3500w with 5000 peak to run a cheapo 115v air compressor...trust me...I would know...I went through many inverters, and even more small air compressors trying to make it work....

I spent 4hrs one day in Lowes parking lot, buy a air compressor, hook it up, nope too much draw, return it, buy another one, nope still too much draw, return it, etc, etc, etc

I gave up trying to be "cheap", so I now have a Wagan 5000w with 10,000w surge...there is no more worries, it powers EVERYTHING!

I paid around $420 for inverter, $120 in welding cable, and fittings...so plan on about $600 total

115v 2.5hp PorterCable pancake air compressor, and 16gal of air tanks..

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM
PSN Local

I got a cheaper inverter for about 80 bucks at gander mountain (1200w I believe) and then I have a 12v air compressor hard wired to my battery with a 10gallon tank. I can use it to fill up tires and what not and I have it set so when the tank is about 3/4 empty then the compressor turns on automatically. I can use most power tools off my inverter pretty efficiently. I have about 230-240 in my whole set up. If your interested In what all brands I have just message me and I can go in further detail.

2006 f250 6.0 lariat
EGR delete
4" mbrp straight pipe
Mbrp 8" tip.
Sct Livewire
Vivians looney tune
Tims Turbo's Built turbo.(batmo wheel, shaved vnt vanes, 22 degree clip, and more)
15% tint.
3k fogs
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
King Dingaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedarr33 View Post
I got a cheaper inverter for about 80 bucks at gander mountain (1200w I believe) . I can use most power tools off my inverter pretty efficiently.
that is a decent price for a small inverter....but...you must be using tiny power tools...

8amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1152 watts
10amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1440watts
12amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1728watts
15amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 2160watts

...so either all of your tools are under 8 amps under load..or you aren't running them with enough power(efficiently),.and you will end up burning out the tools and the inverter, if used consistently.

I run 10 amp(sawmill) and 15 amp tools(circular saw), that is why I have the size inverter I have...I don't want to burn my stuff up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK'S 250 View Post
that is a decent price for a small inverter....but...you must be using tiny power tools...

8amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1152 watts
10amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1440watts
12amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 1728watts
15amp tool x 120v x 20%( to run efficiently) = 2160watts

...so either all of your tools are under 8 amps under load..or you aren't running them with enough power(efficiently),.and you will end up burning out the tools and the inverter, if used consistently.

I run 10 amp(sawmill) and 15 amp tools(circular saw), that is why I have the size inverter I have...I don't want to burn my stuff up.
it gets the job done for most of my stuff (i dont have any rather large tools but I'm happy with it) i use it for drills and just other rather small stuff.

2006 f250 6.0 lariat
EGR delete
4" mbrp straight pipe
Mbrp 8" tip.
Sct Livewire
Vivians looney tune
Tims Turbo's Built turbo.(batmo wheel, shaved vnt vanes, 22 degree clip, and more)
15% tint.
3k fogs
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 PM
King Dingaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedarr33 View Post
it gets the job done for most of my stuff (i dont have any rather large tools but I'm happy with it) i use it for drills and just other rather small stuff.
then it's probably perfect for you...most electric drills are only 4amps

4amps x 120v x 20%= 576...you're good
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Diesel Junkie In-Training

Check out the Go Power Pure Wave inverters. They work perfect. I have a 2000 watt that runs all of my work equipment, microwave, printer, laptop and a couple random devices effortlessly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode