HID Question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
vgk
PSN Newb

HID Question

Well here is my question. I have been reading on HID's and i think im gunna go with retro solutions because of the price... and wanted to know where i can buy projection lights that will work with the bulbs. I have a 2002 f350. I know i can put the bulbs strait into my halogen fixtures... but if im gunna do it i want to do it right. I have seen carrys and they seem great but im looking for a cheaper option.. and help is greatly appreciated. And also for you with the retro solutions in a halogen fixture that went to a projection fixture is it worth the money? Thanks, Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: HID Question

You could get some eagle eyes or oem harleys and its supposed to cut down on scattering. Im using eagle eyes, working fine so far. Unless you can build it yourself, Cary is the only way to go right now.

2003 6.0 f250 ccsb 4x4 auto
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM
PSN Local

You can always do the retro yourself. It's not a terribly difficult process....just a bit time consuming (waiting for the epoxy to fully cure). I just checked the retro solutions website, and they do offer projectors that you can retrofit into your headlights. However, they appear do be out of stock on most of the projectors.

I opted to go with a different company ( http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php ) when I did my retro. I can say that the customer service was great. The relay in my first harness was bad, they shipped one out next day free of charge. They are also very knowledgeable, so give them a call (or email, but that takes a bit to hear back) and tell them what you're looking to do.

If you're not looking to do the retrofit yourself, sadly you're looking at spending a good amount of money. I spent some time trying to find a retrofitter at a decent price, but had no luck. That's why I ended up doing it myself.

2000 F350 lariat, crew cab, long bed, 4x4, 3.73 limited slip
LASB turbo from Irate Diesel
4" exhaust
Gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost)
AFE Stage 2 XP Pro Guard 7
DP Tuner F6 (no start, stock, 80e, 60e, 60t)
AIH delete and CCV mod
F650 Dash with Carling switches
2002 Headlights with FX-R HID bi-xenon projector retrofit and 50W 5000K bulbs

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
vgk
PSN Newb

Thanks guys.. i think im just going to get the 55w digital kit and see if im happy from there. What bulb do i need for the stock headlight housing?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM
PSN Local

You're going to end up blinding most oncoming drivers. The stock headlight housing wasn't designed for a HID bulb. If you compare a halogen bulb and HID, you will see some really big differences.

4" exhaust
AIH delete and CCV mod
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Here for the Ride!

Send a message via MSN to devinferg
HID Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53fordguy View Post
You're going to end up blinding most oncoming drivers. The stock headlight housing wasn't designed for a HID bulb. If you compare a halogen bulb and HID, you will see some really big differences.
That's not true. I run 6000k HIDs in my stock housings and I haven't been flashed once since I have had them. To answer your question about which bulb it is a 9007. If you contact retro solutions they will set you up with exactly what you need and have A+ customer service! Some of the best money I've spent on my truck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1997 F350 Reg cab-Powerstroke 5 Spd 135k miles ts 6 pos chip diy k&n intake 4 inch exhaust autometer gs series pyro & boost gauges-SOLD

2001 F350 Reg cab- 7.3 powerstroke 157k miles Wicked Wheel 6 pos chip Full ATS transmission and 5 star converter 5" exhaust DIY traction bars ISSPRO gauges pyro boost and trans temp
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 PM
PSN Local

Here is a link that will better describe what I was trying to say.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

4" exhaust
AIH delete and CCV mod
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Here for the Ride!

Send a message via MSN to devinferg
HID Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53fordguy View Post
Here is a link that will better describe what I was trying to say.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
That's also talking about cheap eBay special china HIDs. You get what you pay for with those. Retro solutions has a lifetime warranty on their digital brand lights so even if something does happen you can get them replaced for free. Plus it's not like your cutting any wires to where you can't go back to halogen or later upgrade to some aftermarket projector lights if ya wanted. My point is, is that HIDs aren't a waste of money in stock housings. They are still superior to halogen even if the light is scattered.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1997 F350 Reg cab-Powerstroke 5 Spd 135k miles ts 6 pos chip diy k&n intake 4 inch exhaust autometer gs series pyro & boost gauges-SOLD

2001 F350 Reg cab- 7.3 powerstroke 157k miles Wicked Wheel 6 pos chip Full ATS transmission and 5 star converter 5" exhaust DIY traction bars ISSPRO gauges pyro boost and trans temp
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 AM
PSN Local

the light really doesn't scatter all that much with hid's in stock housings. i could see it scatter more if you don't have caps over the ends..

05 f250 harley edition
studded
deleted
sinister coolent filter
sct tuned
ficm tuned
blue spring mod
airaid intake
4in turbo back exhaust
no muffler
black rockstars with 37's toyo m/t
black windows
lifted 6"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode