Tail light LEDs - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Tail light LEDs

Anyone just replaced their tail light/brake and turn signals with LED lights? I'm sure a flasher or resistor may be necessary, but wouldnt it be a simple thing to do? I put LED lights in for the license plate, dome light, reverse lights etc already. Is it the 3157 bulb for the tail light/brake ?

2008 Black F250 6.4 - Long Bed XLT
H&S Mini Maxx (Hot Damn), 4" aFe Exhaust, Downpipe, Cold Air Side Pipe, aFe Intake, Flo-Pro Emissions Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 AM
PSN Local

The previous owner had them in my truck when I bought it and I replaced them. The cheap bulbs you get from the parts store are just that, cheap. They don't have any diodes on the sides so the light patten is narrow and you don't get much light in the housing. There are some online vendors with better products that would likely work better. And yes you will need a resistor to have your flash pattern right.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

My Truck: '03 F250 CC SWB Lariat, 7.3, auto, aFe 4" straight piped, DIY Tymar intake, GTP38R on a blank pedestal, TS 6-position with canned tunes, AIH delete, boost fooler, CCV mod, Iron Cross wheel-to-wheel HD Steps

Farm Truck: '93 Ram D350 Club Cab, Cummins, G360, pump tweaks, 366 spring, DennyT Stage II pin, BHAF, Diamond Eye 4", SDX 5x.012s
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Re: Tail light LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Horseman View Post
And yes you will need a resistor to have your flash pattern right.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
A resistor will work, but it defeats the purpose, since it just reintroduces the current load (which it wastes as heat) into the circuit.

Earlier trucks you could just replace the flasher with a new one, but 2008+ the flashers are controlled by the computer. Now then late 2008+ Cab and Chassis trucks came with that computer reprogrammed to not hyper flash with the led lights that many bed builders use. The early 2008 Cab and Chassis would hyper flash with them, so they needed to be reprogrammed by the dealer with the later software.

Your 2008, since it is not a C&C, will hyperflash, but you can go to the dealer to have it reprogrammed to fix this. Also you may try calling around to some bed builders if you have any in the area, Ford offered the equipment to reprogram for sale to many bed builders in order to fix the hyper flash in early 2008, and any non C&C trucks they may build beds for. They may be cheaper than the dealer if one in your area has the equipment.

And yes the turn/tail/brake bulb is 3157.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2000 RCLB F250 6 speed XL work truck, work in progress
1978 Chevrolet K30 RC Dually 4" TC, 35" Kumhos, ex-firetruck
1967 Chevrolet C10 RCSB, 5.3 LS swap, resto in progress, in family since day one
1969 Chevrolet K5 Blazer, full convertible, family cruiser project

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I wonder if there any issues with having a Tuned truck going in to the dealer to have them reprogram the computer? My truck has an H&S tuner, I dont want anything to get messed up when they reprogram!

2008 Black F250 6.4 - Long Bed XLT
H&S Mini Maxx (Hot Damn), 4" aFe Exhaust, Downpipe, Cold Air Side Pipe, aFe Intake, Flo-Pro Emissions Delete
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:03 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNiner19 View Post
I wonder if there any issues with having a Tuned truck going in to the dealer to have them reprogram the computer? My truck has an H&S tuner, I dont want anything to get messed up when they reprogram!
Reload the stock tune first for sure. The computer that controls the lights is separate from the PCM, but you know how dealers like to load the "latest" stock program into the trucks when they venture in.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2000 RCLB F250 6 speed XL work truck, work in progress
1978 Chevrolet K30 RC Dually 4" TC, 35" Kumhos, ex-firetruck
1967 Chevrolet C10 RCSB, 5.3 LS swap, resto in progress, in family since day one
1969 Chevrolet K5 Blazer, full convertible, family cruiser project
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 PM
PSN Veteran

I tried the resistors in my Ex and they did not work. I ended up just going to NAPA and they sell a LED specific flasher fot the SD trucks. The part # is EP27L
I have used this on a couple of other pickups that were converted to work bodies with LED lights.

Tony

02 Excursion CR conversion with a few go fast parts
The truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
should have built

FOR SALE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode