Mickey Thompson MTZ or Toyo MT? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Mickey Thompson MTZ or Toyo MT?

Ordering new tires. I was gonna get a set Toyos, but am also looking at the Mickey Thompson MTZ. I hear both last pretty good. So what I am looking for is what kind of milage are people getting, Noise, how are they wearing? I have Nitto Mud Grapplers now and they are LOUD. I do a good bit of highway driving and play in the mud quite a bit. I am getting 38x15.5x20 and getting a good price on either tire so I'm not looking at the cost comparison.

'03 6.0 CrewCab FX4 6" lift.. 38x15.5x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers on Moto Metal MO954 wheels straight piped and Looney tuned..

Slicker then snot on a chickens lip...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Mickey Thompson MTZ or Toyo MT?

I got around 73 k on my mtz in that size before I sold them. Had about a 1/4 tread. Really wide tire. I liked them. They weren't loud either

TT

Zoodad mod, high idle mod, blue winshield washer fluid, cat delete mod, tinted windows
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:11 PM
28 cent #2

Toyo MT

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Never had the MTZ's but I have had the Toyo MT's and I didnt get over 20k on them before they were junk. To soft of a rubber compound to last very long but they did good in mud and snow.

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 PM
28 cent #2

I got 20k on mine and you couldn't tell much difference from a new set. I don't know what you could do to a set of toyos to only get 20k miles out of them.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl4412 View Post
I got 20k on mine and you couldn't tell much difference from a new set. I don't know what you could do to a set of toyos to only get 20k miles out of them.

i had 42xxx on my toyos when i sold them with my old wheels. Had enough tread left for the new owner to use them on his truck since last july to the present.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 PM
PSN Local

work with a guy that hasnt even had is mtz's long enough to have to rotate and the front chopped up so bad they are garbage.after seeing that i would never buy them..he would of had to rotate them ever couple hundred miles to have a chance..Never seen anything like it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM
PSN Veteran

How is that the tires fault. If his truck is so far out of alignment that the wore uneven before he could rotate them its the trucks fault. He would of done that to any tire on it.

TT

Zoodad mod, high idle mod, blue winshield washer fluid, cat delete mod, tinted windows
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I think it is all in how good you take care of them. I try and rotate every 2500 miles, and my Nittos have 30k on them and still have tread. Just ready for something new. I have seen the Toyos done after 16k but they werent rotated regularly and the bearings were bad. As for getting 50k plus out of tires on a truck so heavy, HOLY ####. I don't know how people are doing that. I'm happy if i get 30-40k. Thanks for all the input so far. Carry on.

'03 6.0 CrewCab FX4 6" lift.. 38x15.5x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers on Moto Metal MO954 wheels straight piped and Looney tuned..

Slicker then snot on a chickens lip...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 AM
PSN Newb

I have MTZ on my 97 and I really like them, they are pretty quite and do good in the mud and snow!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode