Aftermarket SunRoof??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Aftermarket SunRoof???

I've been looking at getting a second truck, and I was looking at an '03 crew cab 7.3L this afternoon that had an aftermarket sunroof. The guy that is selling this truck said that it was installed by the dealer.

Overall, the sunroof install looks really clean, and I don't see any rust or anything that I would find immediately worrisome. However, this thing is huge! (see photo)

I was just curious if those of you that have sun roofs in your truck had any input on this. Pros? Cons? Is one brand of sun roof better than another? Etc.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun Roof.jpg (126.6 KB, 162 views)

2000 F250 7.3L 4x4
2003 F250 7.3L 4x4

DP-Tuner
Empire Diesel
ITP Diesel
John Wood Automotive
One Up Offroad
Swamps Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:59 AM
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish
Re: Aftermarket SunRoof???

DAMN if i had the money

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 AM
PSN Veteran

I've actually been thinking about whether or not to have one installed, but I didn't know the dealer did it. Man, that thing is huge, the one's I've seen appeared to only be centered in the front seats. (basically the front glass panel in the pic that's open) They had a solid sliding interior cover. Maybe I'm thinking of a moonroof, if there's a difference

Current- 2006 Harley Davidson Edition F250 6.0L w/a "BUILT" engine, Unfortunately mis-assembled and installed by CenTex Diesel and a NAPD Heavy Hauler RACE SERIES Transmission

Previous- 2001 Platinum Edition F250 7.3L
SCT LW and FICM tuning-

Regulated Return fuel kits-

ENOUGH SAID

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

As far as I know, this particular sunroof is classified as a panoramic style sunroof.

I really like the truck that this thing is in. But, I don't know enough about sunroofs to know what issues, if any, this thing is gonna have/cause.

2000 F250 7.3L 4x4
2003 F250 7.3L 4x4

DP-Tuner
Empire Diesel
ITP Diesel
John Wood Automotive
One Up Offroad
Swamps Diesel
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
General Flunky

Thats a "Big Ol Hole" in the roof. It looks similar to the roof in my wifes '08Cadillac CTS . The only thing i could think that could lead to a prolbem would be chassis flex. I'd be finding out WHO manafactured the Glass roof and call them directly and find out who the have for a "authroized installer " and then call them .they can answer the questions better because they are moer fimilar with the product. When you find out who the manafacturer is let us know. I'm definitly interested in doing a roof conversion.

01 F-350 CC Lariat SB 4x4: 7.3, TYMAR , AutoMeter Lunar Gauges Boost,Pyro,Trans.,Galaxy 99v ,w/ Wilson 1000,Astatic 636, Optima Redtop,Lund Tonneau.

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. - I prefer liberty with danger, to peace with slavery.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:32 PM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

Daaaaayum thats a big sun roof. Curious who makes one that big, and how much it compromises the structure of the cab as thats a pretty big hole. Looks like they got a pretty stout cross brace in the middle but still a lot of room for flex if not designed right. Up here in New England there just isn't enough days of nice weather to have something like that, but I sure could see that as being nice in a sunshine state. Does the back part open too?

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:38 PM
PSN Veteran

all i can say is wow thats a big roof, looks awesome though

2000 F250
Maual 4 wheel with warn premium hubs
4" superlift
315/75r16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR
Straight piped
203 stat and billet housing
Mag-Hytec rearend cover
autometer sport comp guages
170,000 miles
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Well....I finally figured out who makes that monster. Airstream Sunroofs in Huntignton Beach, CA is the manufacturer.

I just chatted with them a little, and they said this particular sunroof actually reinforces the roof structure over what it is in stock form. It adds a beefy crossmember in the center and ties in to the other roof supports at its perimeter.

Sound Good?

2000 F250 7.3L 4x4
2003 F250 7.3L 4x4

DP-Tuner
Empire Diesel
ITP Diesel
John Wood Automotive
One Up Offroad
Swamps Diesel
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 PM
BLCKOUT

Send a message via AIM to bigcountry250

That is awesome I want that!!

2011 CC SB 6.7L Powerstroke

BLACKOUT.... gone but never forgotten!!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:58 PM
General Flunky

yep thats might be the ticket. Did they own up to any prolbems from previous installs? I tried to look up thier site but there was nothing available. I did find that Webasto makes a similar roof and they have a decent amount of info on their site. I've e-mailed one of their installers for some detailed info.

01 F-350 CC Lariat SB 4x4: 7.3, TYMAR , AutoMeter Lunar Gauges Boost,Pyro,Trans.,Galaxy 99v ,w/ Wilson 1000,Astatic 636, Optima Redtop,Lund Tonneau.

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. - I prefer liberty with danger, to peace with slavery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode