spare tire key??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Send a message via MSN to samdust
spare tire key???

hey anyone know where i can get a new one. idiots at discount tire screwed mine up and now i cant roll up my spare tire holder thing. any way anyhelp would be good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2001 f-250,7.3,4x4,cc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CORNFED RANGER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 03:16 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: spare tire key???

Take a 9/16" (made in china) socket on a two foot 3/8" drive extension, and stick it in the hole and smack it once or twice with a small sledge hammer, then just crank it down, once the tire is out of the way you can pull the guide tube out and with a large screw driver pry the lock and socket out,replace guide tube. Now you just use the jack extention to crank it up or down.Ten minute job and your done.

When I went to lower my spare, found out I had no spare tire lock key. So wacked the socket on, and the lock actually came with the socket, so I didn't need to pull the guide tube. If someone wants my spare that badly, I guess they can have it. I could always chain it to the frame if need be...

2002 F350 Reg Cab,4x4,7.3,6Spd.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 PM
BLCKOUT

Send a message via AIM to bigcountry250

I had to completely take the winch out and beat the lock out of the winch so I can just turn it without the key now.

2011 CC SB 6.7L Powerstroke

BLACKOUT.... gone but never forgotten!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:43 PM
PSN Veteran

i ordered a new key from mcguard, in my glove box had had the lock number so i could order the new key

2000 F250
Maual 4 wheel with warn premium hubs
4" superlift
315/75r16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR
Straight piped
203 stat and billet housing
Mag-Hytec rearend cover
autometer sport comp guages
170,000 miles
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:47 PM
OBS junkie

The tire was loosely flopping around on the Superduty & we didn't have the key either. Took it over to the dealer they didn't have a key & said we had to get it down ourselfs. So I said F it, pulled the tailgate off & snuck a pair of bolt cutters in there & cut the cable. Been carrying the spare in the bed for over a year now.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Rebel View Post
The tire was loosely flopping around on the Superduty & we didn't have the key either. Took it over to the dealer they didn't have a key & said we had to get it down ourselfs. So I said F it, pulled the tailgate off & snuck a pair of bolt cutters in there & cut the cable. Been carrying the spare in the bed for over a year now.
I didn't get the key when I bought my truck from the PO. I used one of these as a key:
$8.99

Now I have the tire in the bed.

2001 F350 CC LB 4X4
TN, AIS, DP 80hp, ITP boost elim, Magnaflow 4".
Tows the big white hauler.

When life gives you Lemons, throw them at the stupid people.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
OBS junkie

Ahhhh, I think my grinder cost $15........but then again I got it as a gift so I guess it was really free!

One of my buddy's friends had his spare come off on him while he was driving 60mph down the road. The front of the tire came down first & lifted the whole back of the truck up so his rear tires came off the ground. Banged up the tailgate when it came back down too.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Send a message via MSN to samdust

so if i pull off that tube i can beat out the lock so just the rod will roll it down???? cool my tire is allready off.

2001 f-250,7.3,4x4,cc

CORNFED RANGER

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 02:17 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdust View Post
so if i pull off that tube i can beat out the lock so just the rod will roll it down???? cool my tire is allready off.
Yep, the tube might take some pursuading/pulling/twisting, but it will come out...

2002 F350 Reg Cab,4x4,7.3,6Spd.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:31 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdust View Post
hey anyone know where i can get a new one. idiots at discount tire screwed mine up and now i cant roll up my spare tire holder thing. any way anyhelp would be good
Why are you looking for one? I wouldn't have left til THEY found me one or was going to replace they whole unit! I refuse to f-up my chit to fix what someone else did!

Current- 2006 Harley Davidson Edition F250 6.0L w/a "BUILT" engine, Unfortunately mis-assembled and installed by CenTex Diesel and a NAPD Heavy Hauler RACE SERIES Transmission

Previous- 2001 Platinum Edition F250 7.3L
SCT LW and FICM tuning-

Regulated Return fuel kits-

ENOUGH SAID

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode