CB Install, overhead console and mirror mounted antennas **Many Pics** - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753
CB Install, overhead console and mirror mounted antennas **Many Pics**

Well when I first looked at my truck and saw the overhead console I knew instantly I wanted to put a cb in the cubby. Had I know how much work it would take for this I probably would have seeked and alternate mount. I also wanted to use a Cobra 29 which is indeed a rather large unit, specially when attempting to put it into the console. But onto the pics.

The original unharmed upper portion to the overhead console. Front view.

Drivers side view.

First I had to cut off everything hanging down below the side skirt line (where the front clips connect) Also you can see in here that I had many more cuts, at this point I only needed to cut about 1" more of material in various places and I would have been nearly screwed (the console would have been in about 5 seperate pieces, some of which needed to remain together lol )

This is when I moved on to start the long journey of reinforcing the console and structurally attaching the pieces I needed to remain. Here I took what I cut off from the very bottom and straightened it with a head gun then welded it to the top plate with just a simple soldering iron. I then cut off the extra that stuck out on both sides and used them to weld up further as more reinforcement. This is where if I had cut just one more inch this top plate (which holds the mounting tab to the cab, would have been a completely seperate piece.)

Now everything along the back of the cubby portion had to be trimmed out to make room for the cb case as well as for the coax and power/ground wires to be run.

This also was reinforced with little angle tabs to link the upper plate to the lower portion and stiffen the entire unit. Also another arched tab was put over the portion cut out for the wires, this connects the left and right sides and again adds some rigidity (I can use all I can get the way this thing is getting cut up lol)

At this point this is what the front and side profiles looked like. Note how there is next to nothing for material around where the front clips connect, these were very flimsy and I figured they would just snap off if I could even get them to clip.

Again I started using small pieces cut off from the original, I cut some small strips and heated them to a shape that seemed like it would work. This starts out kinda silly looking and all but in the end works pretty good when all build up.

Well at this point I thought I was almost complete, seemed everything would still snap together and would all work, I just had some minor trimming to get the cb case to fit in and work, and everything still clipped together. However I was relying on the 4 little clips that hold the lower portion (visible) to the upper portion (hidden) to hold the entire weight of the CB, it seemed like it would hold but I knew if I hit a good bump somewhere the thing would come crashing down and be dangling by the wires. Sooo now time for more "modifications" lol

Here you can see where I had to notch the rolled edges of the top plate so that I could fit the metal mounting bracket that was supplied with the cb. Also the lower side skirts had to be notched as well for the bracket and the thumb screws that connect the bracket to the cb itself.

By doing this I took most of the rigidity out of the top plate, which was a crucial structural member holding the majority of the weight of the cb and connecting directly to the roof. So now to get that back I again cut little strips and welded them along the top face of the upper plate to stiffen it along where I notched the lower rolled edge.

Next I took the mounting bracket and lined everything up as it should be and from here I drilled through the plastic console and into the bracket enough to leave a center mark. Then drilled the metal bracket and got everything all bolted together. Now the CB is bolted directly to the upper portion of the console not far from a good mount to the roof and the plate holding the weight has been stiffened pretty good so now I am pretty confident with the whole thing.

Here it is places back up in the cab and sitting pretty. The black upper portion to the console is held to the cab by a tab near the front of the cb, then held all along the edges by the headliner and finally by 2 clips that push into the roof at the top of the windshield.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
6Leaker

Re: CB Install, overhead console and mirror mounted antennas **Many Pics**

Now what I have skipped over from now is the modifications necessary to the visible portion of the console and what tidies everything up nice and neatly.

This is what the lower portion looked like shortly after I pulled it from the truck.

I very carefully trimmed out the face so the cobra could poke through, and believe me when I tell you that you can't fit much of anything bigger into this spot. I trimmed along the bottom edge over (this leaves about 1/8" to a 1/4" along the top in the opening, again it was just all careful cut some check, cut some more and check until the unit could barely fit through.

And here is where it gets REALLY tight. I actually had to trim off the a little bit of the metal mounting clips so the cb could squeeze in between.

Now with all this done and the cb mounted up to the roof the lower portion can be slipped over the cb and then pushed up and clipped into the upper portion. I still need to tweak a couple of things with this process though as the front part doesn't quite want to clip on.

So far I have only driven around for a couple of days with this, but it has been pretty much fine, got the radio tuned and seems to work pretty good, not exactly sure on range yet though. The position makes it a little bit hard to see from the drivers seat, just need to lean back a little bit but its far from unbearable.

Next I wanted the look of the antennas out on the mirrors. I'm still trying to get used to how tall the 4 footers are, hoping I'll get used to it or maybe eventually switch to 3 footers. I purchased a Firestik brand 18' coax cable setup for dual antennas. After reading about how its not good to coil the cable up unless its in big loops I figured it wouldn't be too bad and work in my advantage to run the drivers side cable down the passenger side a-pillar and then accross the dash and the opposite side.

Things looked like a mess for a while but working in the dash with these trucks is actually pretty easy once you get down how everything comes apart.

Ultimately I got the coax along with a 16ga wire (to act as a grounding strap) run through the boot along with the door wiring and out into the door. The drivers side for this was a ROYAL PITA basically just stuff your hands in there and feel around for a while till everything is numb and skin peeling off, then poke around for a bit longer lol. Reaching through the hole in the cab from the door side I could feel a small plastic skin (sort of like what covers the inside of the doors) that had a hole just big enough for the door harness to feed through and not much else. Eventually I got my finger into it and after a while was able to pull hard enough and put a slit in the plastic. This slit gave me a big enough opening to finally get a hold on the 16ga wire and then pull the coax through. This was the biggest pain, other than that it was pretty straight forward.

Once the coax was into the doors the mirrors came off and I fished the coax up through the door and out the same hole the mirrors harness goes through. This is the only spot I am sort of worried about, however I need to pull the passenger side mirror off for other reasons, so I will check it then and see how its held up over the past couple of days and if I need to make any more slight changes.

With the mirror off the door side cover could be popped off (4 little clips from the back side) and then slid out far enough to assess where to run the wire. I wouldn't call this the best spot as far as the wire is concerned but it is the most aesthetically pleasing. I just took my dremel with a small sanding cylinder on it and carefully made a opening just big enough for the wires to fit through.

With everything out all I needed to do was make sure I had just enough wire to run to the mount and push the rest back into the door. After that I used a bit of spiral loom to cover the coax and 16ga wire and make it look pretty and I was done. I had to purchase longer bolts for the brackets to make work. I had painted the brackets but just wanted it all installed instead of taking the time to paint the bolts, so I will be doing that later on to make it all look better. The grounding wires are terminated in the dash just behind and to the left of the radio under a factory bolt.

And thats my story, little bit long but now if anyone wants to do the same process and not sure of what it would take they can see. So far I'm happy with the outcome and just a few more minor tweaks and I will call it finito.

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Looks awesome. What kind of antennas are those? Firesticks

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
6Leaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdzilla View Post
Looks awesome. What kind of antennas are those? Firesticks
Thanks for the compliment :) Yup, Firestik II's 4' tall. Got em off ebay, actually all the stuff came from ebay lol.

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 PM

Nice you should be happy with those firesticks i loved mine i used to have.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 03:34 PM
PSN Local

Send a message via MSN to DieselPower1966

looks good, but it seemed like a pita.

i have the same radio but put mine under the dash, and mounted the antenna between the back of the cab and front of the bed on the drivers side.

check out my pic under my profile

DieselPower1966

John
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 03:52 PM
What??

[as I realize that I posted to the other one before I saw this one]

Great pics. Fortunately I don't have an overhead console to tempt me the way yours did, but I love the way you ran the antenna cables out the mirrors. I've contemplated how to mount the antenna on the mirror iffenwhen I finally take the plunge and buy a CB, but I couldn't figure out a decent way to cleanly run the wires. You, my friend, have solved my dilema. Thanks.

1999 F-350 CC DRW Build Date - 06/99
It ain't much, but it hauls my fat a** around.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
6Leaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPower1966 View Post
looks good, but it seemed like a pita.

i have the same radio but put mine under the dash, and mounted the antenna between the back of the cab and front of the bed on the drivers side.

check out my pic under my profile
I can't seem to find the pics but thats where I was contemplating putting mine if this didn't work out and yes it was a Total Pita lol but I'm just glad its done. I noticed in your profile your a driver for a local trucking outfit, just curious who you driver for? I got a buddy who drives for Sysco. He keeps telling me I should get out behind my desk and go drive with him. Its very tempting as I can't stand this desk job and love driving anything I can get my hands on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
[as I realize that I posted to the other one before I saw this one]

Great pics. Fortunately I don't have an overhead console to tempt me the way yours did, but I love the way you ran the antenna cables out the mirrors. I've contemplated how to mount the antenna on the mirror iffenwhen I finally take the plunge and buy a CB, but I couldn't figure out a decent way to cleanly run the wires. You, my friend, have solved my dilema. Thanks.
Yea I noticed that response first too, and responded there Glad I could give ya some ideas and some confidence in the project lol, if you get stuck and have some questions just let me know and I'll see if I Can help out.

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
PSN Mega Miler

Excellent install

2002 F250 SuperDuty Lariat PSD 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 302,000+ miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 Synthetic,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Clifford Matrix 50.5x Alarm

, P3 Brake Controller, Swamps Injectors, PHP Tunes

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
PSN Local

Send a message via MSN to DieselPower1966

to see my pics, click on my profile

i haven't driven for sysco, not my bag. delivering to restaurants etc.

I drove for G M that's a crap job and the money isn't all that good.

I drove for Friehoffer bakery, from Franklin mass to albany ny, drove out m/t returned full. easy 8 hr. day

now i'm outta work, went in for surgery but I need a second.

are you local?

DieselPower1966

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode