Where to run CB Antenna cable - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to BMac Send a message via MSN to BMac Send a message via Skype™ to BMac
Where to run CB Antenna cable

Hey Guys,
Just picked up a k40 over the long weekend and thinking of how to run the coax cable. I'm thinking of notching the 3rd brake light and running it into the cab through there. Has anyone done this and have pics or have any better ideas? Thanks

People Fly Airplanes, Pilot's Fly Helicopters

2002 F350 Extended Cab Shortbed
1977 Early Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 03:34 PM
all ur OBS r belong to me

Send a message via MSN to OldschoolPSD
Re: Where to run CB Antenna cable

I don't have mine mounted on top of the cab, but i ran it under the carpet and out though one of the rubber plugs in the floor of the cab. But my antenna is mounted on my toolbox, which is not the ideal place because you need to run a top load antenna.

Ford stopped building trucks in 1997
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

Your plan to run through the 3rd brake light should work fine. Just get it in there and snake it down one of the back pillars then under the door sills and up into the dash or to wherever you CB is mounted. Last weekend I finally got mine installed but I did 2 Firestiks on my mirrors and lets just say it was a PITA to run the cable but its done now. From the overhead console down each pillar, across the dash to the opposing side and then out through the boots into the door and then up and out onto the mirror (my fingers are still sore from it lol)

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Stimulated

jdc753, I'd like to see some pics of that setup.

1995 Chevrolet C1500 6.5

1995 Z28 w/ 2.73's

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:11 PM
6Leaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgw86 View Post
jdc753, I'd like to see some pics of that setup.
Its not 100% finished but I do have pics of the work I have done. I need to adjust the console and such so that it will fit correctly against the headliner. Hopefully pics when I get home from work.

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:15 PM

BMacD where did you mount the antenna?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to BMac Send a message via MSN to BMac Send a message via Skype™ to BMac

the k40 has a magnetic mount, so i'm going to cut a small circle of maptack so I don't scratch the paint, and mount it on the roof right infront of the 3rd brake light then run the cable through there into the cab.
It won't be installed until the summer since the weather is still the chits

People Fly Airplanes, Pilot's Fly Helicopters

2002 F350 Extended Cab Shortbed
1977 Early Bronco
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Custom Trailer Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Your plan to run through the 3rd brake light should work fine. Just get it in there and snake it down one of the back pillars then under the door sills and up into the dash or to wherever you CB is mounted. Last weekend I finally got mine installed but I did 2 Firestiks on my mirrors and lets just say it was a PITA to run the cable but its done now. From the overhead console down each pillar, across the dash to the opposing side and then out through the boots into the door and then up and out onto the mirror (my fingers are still sore from it lol)
If the pics don't explain it, how did you run it through the mirror?
I have to do this soon, I finished mouting the radio, now I need to mount the antenna's and run the cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Its not 100% finished but I do have pics of the work I have done. I need to adjust the console and such so that it will fit correctly against the headliner. Hopefully pics when I get home from work.
I'd like to see these as well!

1999.5 F350 PSD CC Dually 05' Conversion
Stage I's - Gearhead Tuning - BTS - PCS
F550 rear suspension

1999.5 F350 PSD S/C 6spd Dually

R.I.P. Will Iott - "This ain't no practice run"

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 AM
uhm..

I ran mine thru the stake pocket on the bed under the cab then thru the floor on the passenger side to the center console area.

I did not want to drill holes so i bought one of those quick release attachments and use a kit that utilizes the stake pocket with a plate underneath the bed rail and another on top then sandwiched together with flat top screws. A little more money but worth it and I just disconnect the antenna when I am not hauling my junk around.

I also had the CB "modified" by the local CB shop to increase it range. Works real nice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]03 KR F250 6.0 ltr CC Sb AFE, pro flaps, MBRP 4" duals, Cobalt/VDO gauges, Water/Meth. Coolant Filter, Custom Airbags w/ Comp. & 5 gall tank. Weathgd. box, Alarm system, St sys w/ cam & Nav, 52 gall tank. BD Exh brk, CB, Cryo'd Pwr Slt brks Custom LED lights

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 PM
6Leaker

Here are the pics of the wire on its way to the mirror. I don't seem to have any pics of the wire running through the dash and such but I plan to post a "worklog" and write up on the project in its own thread so not to hijack this one.

Got the wire through the boot and its ready to start its journey to the mirror (this was all done with the coax plug intact on the end of the wire.)

I fed the wire up through the same hole as the mirror harness goes through. The cable end barely fits through here. (Also this is the only spot I am a little leary about in my install.)

Bench testing and working over the mirror external cover. There are 4 tabs to pop it off from the metal mounting bracket, from there I used a dremel with a small sanding cylinder to carve out a hole just big enough for the wire to pass through.

Here is the finished product sitting on the truck, the wire runs through the door then the coax is fished out into the open while the cover is still free on the mirror. I guided the wire around the front of the mount and then out the hole with enough slack to reach the antenna. I used one nut to loosely hold the mirror to the door and worked the wire till it was just right, then snap the cover closed and bolt up the mirror evenly all around.

Overall view of the mirror and work, I ran an extra 16ga wire as a grounding strap out to the antenna, this was also crucial in getting the coax out through the drivers side boot. With the parking brake assembly in the way it was quite a PITA at the least to get the wire through the cab and into the door boot.

I wish I had some more least of how to get the wire near the boots from in the cab but alas I don't. The passenger side was rather easy actually, however the drivers side was a pain. One of those deals where you stuff your hands into some blind hole and feel around till they go numb, then feel around for some more time lol. I still don't know exactly what the material was but I had to rip something that was on the inside of the cab where the drivers side door harness passed through. Now that I think about it I think its the same grey material that covers the doors. Just had to give a good hard tug with my finger through the hole to put a nice slit in it so that the coax could be fished through. Also in case there is any confusion or irregularities this was done on an 05 truck, not sure what the differences will be with other trucks.

The running through the dash was pretty simple and straight forward. To chew up some extra slack without coiling I ended up running my drivers side coax down the passenger side A-pillar and across and vise versa for the passenger side coax, this left me with only about 2' +/- of slack in the doors which easily just made a winding loop.

I'm not exactly sure how it is on older trucks or on supercabs, but when I ran my 1/0ga power wire for my amps I ran it along the frame and then up into the cab through a gromet on the drivers side right before the hump at the very back. The carpet had to be cut for this but if you were to pull apart enough I bet you could run the coax under the carpet and down through that gromet if you needed too. One of the biggest things I enjoy about having a truck, being able to lay down on the ground (or on a creeper) and just roll around all under the truck, no need for jacks or jack stands :)

6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode