Donaldson Powercore Filters - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Donaldson Powercore Filters

I won't go into detail too much about the powercore filters design and how it works. You guys can look that up. Essentially the Powercore was designed for the most sever service conditions one can encounter. It has special properties that allow it to load more effectively than a standard radial or axial seal element without gaining as much restriction. It does however have a much higher level of intital restriction over standard filters of the same size, so to overcome this, a larger filter is needed to offset this or the placement of a pre-cleaning device in front of it. The powercore filter was not designed as a high flowing, high performance filter for racing. Literally you could use it as such, but you would have to use a very large element and the only place you could fit it would be on the top of the hood. The Powercore filter that comes standard with the 6.0L is great if you were in dusty dirty climates, but for most practical purposes, it is useless for what we do to our trucks. I think that Donaldson has a great sales and technical staff, and they got Ford real good on that one. A properly sized radial seal element would have proved to be much more enticing to leave on, then say the PC. Ask me more questions and I will post accordingly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:40 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Donaldson Powercore Filters

Thanks for the Info. I have always heard good things, and my dad has one on his early 99, it came on the truck. I understand what you're saying and that pushes me more towards other media for my application.

Is the Ford AIS system actually more restrictive "initally" over the standard factory system? When running factory turbo/injectors, is the AIS/Powercore setup sufficient, or will another type of media be an improvement?

1999.5 F-250 XLT Crew Cab Short Box
4X4 7.3L Powerstroke
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fords4life View Post
Thanks for the Info. I have always heard good things, and my dad has one on his early 99, it came on the truck. I understand what you're saying and that pushes me more towards other media for my application.

Is the Ford AIS system actually more restrictive "initally" over the standard factory system? When running factory turbo/injectors, is the AIS/Powercore setup sufficient, or will another type of media be an improvement?
I wouldn't say it is more restrictive, they did an OK job with the sizing given the alloted room. Anything is better than that stock air box, that thing was plagued from day one. It never sealed correctly. I will always like to see a larger filter than what is called for. I thought about making Powercore performance kits but the cost would be astronomical as the aftermarket housings we have that would fit in the Ford start at over 300 dollars, then add in tubing and hardware. I don't know, do you think people would take to them?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 AM
PSN Veteran

I'm not sure. Cost is always the hard thing. Does there have to be a hosing with the Donaldson or do they make a "conical" filter or something similar to the other aftermarket filters?

4X4 7.3L Powerstroke
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fords4life View Post
I'm not sure. Cost is always the hard thing. Does there have to be a hosing with the Donaldson or do they make a "conical" filter or something similar to the other aftermarket filters?
They do make retro-fit but it is for Volant. They sell them and they are decently priced but they are to darn small. A powercore filter the same size as an aFe 7.3L stage 2 filter will flow nearly less than half of the aFe. Then add contamination load to that and you are choking off the engine. If you had any modifications as far as fuel goes this wouldn't even be an option. I was thinking of oversized housings, they more so look like a box. But it would be a niche market.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airflo71 View Post
They do make retro-fit but it is for Volant. They sell them and they are decently priced but they are to darn small. A powercore filter the same size as an aFe 7.3L stage 2 filter will flow nearly less than half of the aFe. Then add contamination load to that and you are choking off the engine. If you had any modifications as far as fuel goes this wouldn't even be an option. I was thinking of oversized housings, they more so look like a box. But it would be a niche market.

Gotcha....thanks again for the info!

4X4 7.3L Powerstroke
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 AM
PSN nerd

ive been lookin at the powercore setup with the 5" inlet and moving the drivers side battery to the box in the bed, im in pretty dusty conditions (on the ranch) but still want to have the airflow the pcd10 is supposed to be good to 1600cfm i havent found any dealers that have the pcd10 and wont get one in for me without payin for it, i wish i could see if i could get one in there the way i want it or remotely see if it will fit before forkin out the $$$$ the one i was lookin at was a top load model too, i cant seem to find th page with the specs at the moment. the other thing i was thinkin was to make a model based on the specs and see how i can fit it in there. ill see if i can find it

97 F250SC 4X4 4 LINKED ON AIR <- FOR SALE!!!!!!

00 F350CC 4x4 I NEED A FLATBED FOR IT!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF YALL KNOW ANYBODY THAT HAS ONE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode