First of all, I have to send an ENORMOUS thanks out to Gregrob--he fixed his work schedule to have today free and so he and I spent most of the day wrenching on my truck to R/R the ball joints and install my Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion kit. I couldn't have come anywhere close to getting all that work done in one day without his help and I'm genuinely grateful.
Impressions of the kit and the install:
1) It was worth the money--all the parts fit properly w/o any filing or "adjustments" with a die grinder
2) If you're installing one, new u-joints and mounting studs are worth every penny. Trying to re-use the old parts would have been a nightmare and new parts took probably 2 hours off of the install time.
3) Make sure you put ALL the seals on before torquing down nuts. I forgot to install the dust seals on the new outer stub shafts and so that added, most likely, 1 1/2 hours to our work b/c we had to un-install the new hubs, spindles, and spindle locknuts to get access to where the seal needed to go.
4) Pay attention to how the brake dust shield is clocked.
I didn't and so when we tried to reinstall the brake rotor and caliper, it wouldn't fit. 15 minutes with a cutoff tool later, everything was copacetic b/c the dust shields were no more. We realized the shields were clocked wrong after re-installing the spindles/hubs (see note #3) and neither of us wanted to take all those parts off again so the cutoff tool was a much more reasonable option.