Dynatrac Free-Spin first impressions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Peon

Last edited by jvencius; 04-20-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 04:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Dynatrac Free-Spin first impressions

Cool. That is on the to do list!

funny about the dust shield. I did that when I was changing out the bearings once. Lots of fun!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 05:59 PM

You're welcome John!

I can see why the kit costs what it does now. I've always wanted to do this but complained about the price. The kit has a lot of NICE parts though, the warn lockout hubs alone are a pretty good chunk of the price.

At least I have no fear in doing my balljoints now! I bet with a good shop we could knock em out in a couple hours.

Some impressions I would take away from the install is to make sure you have the proper tools.

You need:

A WIDE pickle fork
Pitman arm puller
Air tools / Impact

Otherwise don't even think about it. If you have all the right tools (buy borrow beg rent steal whatever) and remember to put all the parts in the correct order it goes pretty smooth.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvencius View Post
First of all, I have to send an ENORMOUS thanks out to Gregrob--he fixed his work schedule to have today free and so he and I spent most of the day wrenching on my truck to R/R the ball joints and install my Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion kit. I couldn't have come anywhere close to getting all that work done in one day without his help and I'm genuinely grateful.

Impressions of the kit and the install:

1) It was worth the money--all the parts fit properly w/o any filing or "adjustments" with a die grinder

2) If you're installing one, new u-joints and mounting studs are worth every penny. Trying to re-use the old parts would have been a nightmare and new parts took probably 2 hours off of the install time.

3) Make sure you put ALL the seals on before torquing down nuts. I forgot to install the dust seals on the new outer stub shafts and so that added, most likely, 1 1/2 hours to our work b/c we had to un-install the new hubs, spindles, and spindle locknuts to get access to where the seal needed to go.

4) Pay attention to how the brake dust shield is clocked. I didn't and so when we tried to reinstall the brake rotor and caliper, it wouldn't fit. 15 minutes with a cutoff tool later, everything was copacetic b/c the dust shields were no more. We realized the shields were clocked wrong after re-installing the spindles/hubs (see note #3) and neither of us wanted to take all those parts off again so the cutoff tool was a much more reasonable option.
so thats y i couldnt get a hold of him all day. he loves to get dirty....just no in his work cloths though. how big of a pain was it to do all the work????
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Just A Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layson View Post
Cool. That is on the to do list!

funny about the dust shield. I did that when I was changing out the bearings once. Lots of fun!
Did the same thing when doing my balljoints!!! contemplating the Dynatrac kit also, thanks for your input

Darrin Struble
2003 F-350XLT Sport SC/SB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.3L Live tuned by Jody ,ITP reg return/intank prepump mods, MBRP S.S. 4" ,afe stage1,foil delete,WW, Dieselsite coolant/trans filters,turbomaster wastegate controller,FTVB,Bandwagon Badges
1956 f100 Heidts Suspension all around
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
You're welcome John!

I can see why the kit costs what it does now. I've always wanted to do this but complained about the price. The kit has a lot of NICE parts though, the warn lockout hubs alone are a pretty good chunk of the price.

At least I have no fear in doing my balljoints now! I bet with a good shop we could knock em out in a couple hours.

Some impressions I would take away from the install is to make sure you have the proper tools.

You need:

A WIDE pickle fork
Pitman arm puller
Air tools / Impact

Otherwise don't even think about it. If you have all the right tools (buy borrow beg rent steal whatever) and remember to put all the parts in the correct order it goes pretty smooth.

when i was working for ford i had superduty ball joints down to about 2 hours from pulling in to test drive but that was hauling ass. there not hard but i was taught a few tricks and tools that make it go faster :)

early 99, xcab, 8"lift,37" toyo open country m/ts, afe stage II,BDP tuning, 5" black chrome aussie cuts, blacked out bumper and grill, 8 isspro performax guages, stealth dual pumps, a few fuel leaks......

mods to come:
NO SACRIFICE..... NO VICTORY!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:07 AM
Stupid Kid

I have ball joints down pretty good, thaks to some pointers from a Tech that I had met. I threw my dust sheilds in the trash the first time I had them off.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Moved in

I am going to be doing the same thing. Does the Dyna-trac kit provide all of the required seals or should I buy the ball joint kit from powerstrokeshop? I don't want to buy extra stuff if I don't need to.

Scott

2011 F250 CC 4x4 Sterling Gray Metallic

2010 Cannondale Quick 4 (pedal powered commuter)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode