Another random question... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Hoosier daddy!

Another random question...

I put a 4" lift kit on last summer and 35" tires... I'd like to get the truck back to where it used to be in terms of "quickness..." It's not really bad at all with the 35's but it lost a little get-up-and-go... What is involved in changing over to say 4.10 gearing? Do I just buy the new ring and pinion and slap them in or is this one of those "if you change this, you have to change everything" kind of jobs? Also, would it be ok to go to 4.10 or is 4.30 a better choice to get my truck back closer to where it was pre-lift kit? Thanks for letting me pick your brains guys!

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,
4x4, 3.73, Ext. Cab, Shortbox...
ITP RR, CCV, Tymar Intake, Airdog, DP tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 11:35 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT
Re: Another random question...

Not sure on what to use for gearing, but changing gears yourself isnt an easy job. You need to know what your doing and buy install kits to get all the measurements right, or the new gears well prematurely wear out. This is the site I learned alot about redoing the gearing on my truck back to 3.73's.
http://www.differentials.com/install.html

Its not a bad job if you have the right equipment, it took me about 6 hours to do the rear axle for the first time, but the front axle I did not do, since I got an entire axle with 3.73 gears for cheaper than it would have been to change out the gearing(long story). If after reading those instruction you feel you can do it, than go for it, I did and mine has been good for a year and a half now, i checked it last year, everything was still good. 35K later, still going good.

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 03:12 AM
All done now

If you are interested, bring your truck over, I will swap my 4:10 for your 3:73, and we will learn how to do it together. Ain't nothing but a step at a time. I ain't skeered. Mine is just 2WD though.

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 06:20 AM
PSN Veteran

Why dont you add a DP chip? That would be easier and cheaper then a gear swap and you will have that get up and go you are looking for.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 05:00 PM
OBS junkie

With a good chip like a DP Tuner you could keep your 3.73s & still run the 35s. John is running 37s with 3.73 & a DP Tuner. It might not be as good off the line as a truck with 4.10s but it will move just fine once it's rolling.

Or if you still want 4.10s I'll trade you your 3.73s for the 4.10s in my truck. Yes they will fit too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 05:05 PM
My Detroit Diesel 6v92

I would'nt go 4.30's with 35's. I went 4.30's with 37's and its just about perfect. Gave me back the giddy up low end power I lost with the lift and tires. If you drive highway a lot, I would keep the 3.73's for mileage.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisley View Post
If you are interested, bring your truck over, I will swap my 4:10 for your 3:73, and we will learn how to do it together. Ain't nothing but a step at a time. I ain't skeered. Mine is just 2WD though.
I don't think he won't be able to use 4x4 unless he changes the front gears too.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Oooo, White Lightning !

4:30 would be steep for 35's
Matter a fact, 4:10s is to.......just throw a chip on her
I run 37's on 3:73, Ive had the stockers, 35s and 37s on 3:73........the 35s were fine, especialy with the chip

And i would recommend paying someone to do it for you, its finicky and can go wrong in a hurry and end up costing twice as much

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:27 AM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Hoosier daddy!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am planning on buying a DP tuner soon anyway, so maybe I'll hold off on making gear swaps... I do drive highway a lot too... I was just entertaining the idea after reading an article about how larger tires will throw off your gearing... I guess what I really wanted was to hear all your opinions on making the swap... And thanks for the offers to swap rear ends too...

2001 PSD F250
Born 4/01 in KY USA,
4x4, 3.73, Ext. Cab, Shortbox...
ITP RR, CCV, Tymar Intake, Airdog, DP tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode