Brake Light and Signal Issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Brake Light and Signal Issues

I've got some very wierd lighting issues right now that i'm trying to sort out but havent figured it out..When the light switch is in the automatic and off positions my rear signals work, but no break lights..When i turn the switch to either of the next two on positions both the signals and the brake lights come on and stay lit like the brakes are applied and im signalling..very messed up..the headlights and front signals work and the hazards all work..any suggestions??

thanks!!

2003 F-250 12V Cummins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Brake Light and Signal Issues

Anybody got any ideas. I was thinking about trying a new brake switch but I don't want to just throw parts at it. There are 6 wires in the brake switch would someone be willing to check theirs and tell me which have power when depressed or when the main light switch is turned on.
Thanks!

2003 F-250 12V Cummins
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:21 PM
PSN Veteran

on your brake switch, the wires are as follows;

LB/BK: hot at all times-fused
LG/RD: " " " "
LG: should have power on this wire with brake pedal depressed. it supplies power for the brake lights, trailer brakes.
PK/OG: ground
RD/LG: should have power on this wire as well with pedal depressed. is supplies brake input to the modules and other switches i.e, PCM, ABS, brake interlock and cruise deactivation.

the LG wire goes from the switch to the multifunction switch(turn signal switch) where it hooks up with the turn signals. your problem could be there. also water can get into the 7-way trailer connector plug where the wire harness plugs into the adapter on the back side.. if water is in there it could cause some cotinuity where there shouldn't be any..

hope this helps and isn't too confusing..

LUKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 CCLB AUT0 4X4

S&B, DI/PRICOL GAUGES, CCV, ZOODAD, TS CHIP-MATT AT GEARHEAD,
38R, ADRENALINE, SWAMP'S IDM, 4" T/B MBRP
05 CONVERSION, 4 INCH LIFT, 325/65-18 FIERCE ATTITUDE M/T
WILSON 5000 GALAXY DX66

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well I unplugged the trailer harness and no changes and I checked the brake switch and it's fine. So multi function switch is the culprit?? It look like a pita to change out

2003 F-250 12V Cummins
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Not the multifunction switch either. WTF? I traced the wires back to the fuse panel and they are good there too. The rear lights are led signals I would say one of them would be broken but since they are both acting the same I'm not sure. Fack!

2003 F-250 12V Cummins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode