Adding a plow to a lifted truck - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT
Adding a plow to a lifted truck

I have been thinking about this for the last couple years, and now I am kinda stuck in a dilemma. Where I have been living our neighbor was nice enough to come plow the snow out of our driveway. Now that I am moving, I no longer have this option. It wouldn't be a problem, but the girlfriend drives a car, and this driveway is longer. She leaves for work at 6am and I don't want her to be getting stuck trying to get up the driveway. Since I could also plow my parents house out, and possibly pick up side work plowing, I can justify the cost, but I have very limited knowledge on plows.

I have been told that I could add one to my 99 which is lifted. 3" body with a leveling kit(shackle) in the front, running 37" Toyo MT's. I am skeptical because the fact my frame sits higher than stock and running the 37's.

So has anyone else added a plow to a lifted truck or know if its possible? If so is there anything different I have to do? Heres a picture of truck for reference.

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Super Hauler!

Re: Adding a plow to a lifted truck

Ya i don't know about that, i had a 3" lift on my last truck and had to run 33" tires instead of my 35" because the pitch of the plow was all wrong and wouldn't cut through the snow. My mount was all the way down. You could build your own mount on your truck or just lower the one you buy but i couldn't because i just bought a brand new boss v plow and warranty didn't cover that . I would try to find a old truck with a plow already i know there are a lot around here right now. That way you don't tear up your truck

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 PM
My other twin turbo...

You should have the sector and angle cylinders parallel to the ground when the plow is on the ground. Whatever you have to do to the original plow frame to accomplish this. If you lengthen the truck mounted frame to get it level then make up new braces from the bottom of the dropped mount to reinforce them from bending.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 01:22 PM
PSN Veteran

The best thing would be to run a set of stock height or 285 tires for the winter. A leveling kit is fine for most plows. If you cant do another set of tires the best option would be to find a Western uni mount blade. The truck frame design is one of the easiest to lower. If you cant find the truck side you buy a new Ultra mount frame and the adapter that goes with it to convert the ultra mount truck side to a uni mount plow. I have used one of these with the mounts flipped on a truck as high as yours. It looks kind of funny but it will work.

Tony

02 Excursion CR conversion with a few go fast parts
The truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
should have built

FOR SALE
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Evil Genius

Yep, it is possible. Seen it done many times, as mentioned you may need to do some modifying to lower the truck side bracket.

I've seen 8" lift with stock tires plow in this fashion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 AM
PSN Local

You can run whatever height truck you want and don't have to change the truck side. On the fisher at least, there are 3 holes for different height trucks. For a lifted truck, all you have to do is custom make a bracket with the holes higher and weld it on. We have done that for my level'd dump truck and a lifted 250. Plow frame sits nice and level just as it would a stock height truck.

2016 F550 6.7 9' Dump work truck

2006 F350 6.0 Auto 95k miles. Sct programmer. 5 inch exhaust. Blue spring mod. Suspension mods and 35's.

1997 F350 7.3 Reg cab. Exhaust, coolant filter, front 2.25 PMF Rsk with Superduty Leafs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JohnT

Thanks for the help! Now it seems like a pretty doable project now.

What are some good plows to look into? Which ones are the ones to stay away from? Any suggestions?

99 PSD 4x4 CCLB
05 PSD 4x2 RCLB
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 PM
My other twin turbo...

I owned a few Meyers and had to repack the lift cylinder every damn year with all three of them due to bypassing causing the blade to creep down when lifted. I am on my first Western and so far so good. I recommend two things. Get a poly blade, they weigh more and the snow flies off of them with less resistance than painted steel, also they don't rust. Pay a little more money to get the heavy series blades. Most manufacturers offer them, and the cutting edges and plow frames are thicker metal, the blades are taller by about 6-8 inches and the angle cylinders are larger diameter and longer. I have plowed for 18 years and the heavier the plow the better they plow, and the heavier the truck also. I like the Western mount because the frame that remains on the truck year round is up tight to the frame and hardly shows.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 AM
<---mud

Boss is made in MI.... power-v

97 F250 4x4 RC Lifted 4 inches. rollin on 35's STT
4" exhaust, Cobalt gauges, HPX, 17* hpop, idm mod, DIY intake,
Intercooled by me
(6700 lbs)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Evil Genius

I run a Boss Power-V XT. I like it, works very well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in