wet sanding - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99
Exclamation wet sanding

I am painting my mirrors and everything is going great and looks great but I have a little bit or orange peel....

so my question is, when I wetsand, do I have to use a rubbing compound or something before I clearcoat if I use plenty of water and am VERY gentle with the sand paper??????
or can I just wetsand, wipedown, and then clear???

Thanks
~Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:36 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak
Re: wet sanding

wet sand with 600 or 1000, then reclear. make sure you do it within a couple days of sanding.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMRCM#1
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

no, I dont have any clear yet... the paint has a little orange peel not the clear...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:52 PM

post pics when done..

dcspecial knows a lot about this too i think. see if he can help you out. seems like a nice guy
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

ok...but I am prolly not gonna have what your looking for.....I have a black truck and so the mirrors are being painted black...
sounds weird but right now I have the passenger side painted but the driver is untouched and it looks much better when you compare them!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:09 PM
PSN Veteran

sand in between coats. black is a tough color to paint, much less wet sand/polish.

good luck!

PMRCM#1
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

yeah I wet sanded the the the black before I put the clear on (just did it) and it looked pretty good....now I put on 3 coats of clear and the OP is back....so once it dries some I will give it a good sand and put one more coat on....

I dont suppose I can wetsand with non-waterproof SP, can I ?????
cause I have some waterproof 600 and then I have some NWP 1000.... and I would rather use 1000.....

Thanks
~Jim
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:57 PM
PSN Veteran

600 is ok for the black, but i would use 1000 for the clear. once you have about 4 coats of clear, let the last coat dry really well. if you still have orange peel, sand it with 2000 or finer, and get a good compound and polish out the sanding. i would show you some pics, but i have no sandpaper with me

PMRCM#1
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

SH!T!!!!
god damn mofo!!!

I got all the coats on and everythig looked real nice...went to town and got something to eat and some erins (with diff. vehicle)....when I got back I saw that I had huge bubbles!!!! so I just peeled them off and noticed the paint underneith is all wet! I let each coat dry plenty....
it looks like it was just the clear that peeled but not sure...
gotta leave for the weekend so I am gonna have to deal with it monday...

fukin POS!!

grrrrrrrrrrr....

Thanks
~Jim
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 PM
< pissed off pumkin.

Talking Re: wet sanding

What kind of paint are you using ? I will tell you what I would do if I was gonna paint my mirrors, now keep in mind I work at a body shop so I have done things like this in the past. I would sand them with 400 , then we have stuff to promote adheshion, then we prime. sand again with 400 and base, put on about three coats of clear. then the next day we sand with 2000 rub and done. All this being said though I never sanded after the clear when it came to things like that, we will sand and rub body panels just to give it a nice finish, sometimes you get a run in something so you have to do what we call planing, then you hit it with 1000 and then some 2000 rub and done. It just depends on how anal you are about the smoothness of the finish. I,m gonna do a custom tail gate, when its done I,ll post some pics if I can ever figure that out, .

Dan

2003 F-350 4x4, Ext cab. 7.3 AFE stage II 4" turbo back exhaust, garret GTP 38, 1.15 van turbine housing,EBPV deleated, non waste gated, ATS compresor housing, WW II, bellowed up pipes, CFM + spyder conversion, Hydra chip with Bill's tunes, CCV mod, Hutched, harpooned, RR fuel system, 6.0 trans cooler, Swamps IDM, HPX.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode