cb radio??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

cb radio???

so, i have been wondering about putting in a CB radio in my truck. More or less just to have one for road trips, but not everyday use. does anyone have pics of their installs, and also tips on what type to buy, and tips of do's and dont's for an install. I have never used, or owned a CB

thanks, Tim.

35 inch Hankooks with a level lift and F350 rear blocks, AFE stage 2 intake, Procomp dual steering stabilizer, HID headlights, Westin bull bar with Procomp lights, Dodge Cab Lights, Edge Evolution Programmer, coolant filter, Sinister EGR delete, smoked tail lights & 60 inch LED bar, straight piped, high idle mod, ZooDad mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:05 AM
I make smut cry

Re: cb radio???

PM Whatabudro

He has a Cobra 29 and SD mount for sale. It was a clean mount/install on his rig. Looked completely factory!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 AM
King Dingaling

Make sure you hard wire it,..not just a crappy "lighter plug'

CB's are NOT "plug and play"...have it tweeked and tuned by a pro,...and have them tune the SWR's for you.

mine......Limited Edition Harley Davidson Cobra model 29

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

okay, so i will for sure hard wire it, and find someone to tune it, but what is swr?

35 inch Hankooks with a level lift and F350 rear blocks, AFE stage 2 intake, Procomp dual steering stabilizer, HID headlights, Westin bull bar with Procomp lights, Dodge Cab Lights, Edge Evolution Programmer, coolant filter, Sinister EGR delete, smoked tail lights & 60 inch LED bar, straight piped, high idle mod, ZooDad mod
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:33 AM
King Dingaling

That is what needs to be tuned so you don't burn out the radio when you "key up"

Measuring SWR
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 05:42 AM
PSN Local

It really depends on your budget and what you are trying to accomplish with it. You can find cheap ones at radio shack for around 45 bucks but you will usually sacrifice some features and possibly sound quality. Some of them have a speaker jack in the back so you can mount them low and put a better external speaker up high if you do have trouble hearing it. Probably one of the most important parts is the antenna though. If its just for road trips you can buy a magnetic mount for the roof and just run the wire out the door. I have seen really good cb's not work worth a crap because of the antenna and where it was mounted and some really cheap cb's work awesome with the proper antenna and mount.

I got my Galaxy from a retired truck driver on craigslist for 100 bucks already tweaked and tuned. I have a 4' superflex antenna in a stake hole mount right behind the cab. I just tested it on our vacation this year to Colorado with a buddy behind me about 5 miles and still heard him without turning the squelch down to where it was all static. I could probably get more range if I really tried but we never got that far apart. I have heard truck drivers in the city and I know they are around 10 to 15 miles away by where they are when they are talking. I mounted mine on an aluminum plate I screwed under the dome light and visor mounts. This way I can remove it and there are no holes in the headliner. Its up out of the way and the speaker is right there where I can hear it clearly without the need for another speaker. It takes about 10 minutes to pull it all out and hide the wires. I mainly use mine for trips and talking with all my friends since they all have them.

here is a great site to check out some faq's
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - CB Radios & CB Antennas : CB Radios & CB Antennas - Cobra, Uniden, Wilson, K40 & Firestik

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmars51 View Post
okay, so i will for sure hard wire it, and find someone to tune it, but what is swr?
Resistance in the antenna. If it's too high it can burn the radio.

Glen
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Just another OBS addict

Just put a Cobra 29LTD BT (bluetooth) in my OBS, mounted it in front of the middle seat like Tank's. Runnin' a Wilson 1000 Roof Mount, already had the hole drilled, as it had a UHF Ham radio setup in it when I bought it. Good combo, thinkin about gettin a little more power to it soon, but it's a good setup to start with, I hadn't done much with CB's before either. And the bluetooth I can use to talk on my phone with, works pretty well, since here in CA we need hands-free and supposedly the CB counts for that. Like Tank said, its definately a lot of work, as I had to drop all the headliner and wire it down the B-pillar and then under the rug, after takin all the seats out, but I was putting cab lights in at the same time, so worked out well. I still need to get some pics of my mount, but it's basically like Tank's, except I drilled into the bottom of the seat bracket. I think on SD's there's a little more room under the dash to do it that way, as on the OBS's there's very little.

1995 F250 SCLB 4X4 Auto - '97 D60/10.5" rear, 4.5" PMF RSK/V's, PMF Trac Bars, Sway Bars, MBRP Exhaust, DP F5, Efuel, RRD Diff Cover, Tymar Intake, Isspro Performaxs/Quad Pod, Recon Cab Lights, 05 Lariat SD Steering Wheel
FF250/2's, ARP Studs, Comp Beehives, Smith Bros Pushrods, 1.15 38r, RRD Boost Fooler, 99.5+ Intake, SD 7.3 IC
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:51 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamanub View Post
It really depends on your budget and what you are trying to accomplish with it. You can find cheap ones at radio shack for around 45 bucks but you will usually sacrifice some features and possibly sound quality. Some of them have a speaker jack in the back so you can mount them low and put a better external speaker up high if you do have trouble hearing it. Probably one of the most important parts is the antenna though. If its just for road trips you can buy a magnetic mount for the roof and just run the wire out the door. I have seen really good cb's not work worth a crap because of the antenna and where it was mounted and some really cheap cb's work awesome with the proper antenna and mount.

I got my Galaxy from a retired truck driver on craigslist for 100 bucks already tweaked and tuned. I have a 4' superflex antenna in a stake hole mount right behind the cab. I just tested it on our vacation this year to Colorado with a buddy behind me about 5 miles and still heard him without turning the squelch down to where it was all static. I could probably get more range if I really tried but we never got that far apart. I have heard truck drivers in the city and I know they are around 10 to 15 miles away by where they are when they are talking. I mounted mine on an aluminum plate I screwed under the dome light and visor mounts. This way I can remove it and there are no holes in the headliner. Its up out of the way and the speaker is right there where I can hear it clearly without the need for another speaker. It takes about 10 minutes to pull it all out and hide the wires. I mainly use mine for trips and talking with all my friends since they all have them.

here is a great site to check out some faq's
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - CB Radios & CB Antennas : CB Radios & CB Antennas - Cobra, Uniden, Wilson, K40 & Firestik

HEY!!!!

i like that!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 AM
Back to Civilian Life!!

I personally use rolling radios. If you want more info just PM me. I have used unidens and I enjoy them and they have lasted me a long time both in a tractor trailer and in my pickup. I think I paid about 160 for a new uniden PC78 peaked, tuned, and setup on a 250 watt amp. This guy does awesome work and sells a lot of different kinds of radios. I would suggest him.

2003 F-250 4x4 7.3 liter PSD EXT. cab SB. Wilson 2000 antenna, Uniden PC78 peaked and tuned with a connex 250 Linear Amp.
MODS: BTS Tranny, DIY Tymar, Hypermax 3.5 DP to 5" back, TW tunes, DI's GT38R BB turbo, autometer boost, pyro, trans, water temp a Scangauge and Firestone rear air bags.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode