ford paint - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to blk99
ford paint

Where do yall get your factory paint color for painting bumpers and such??? I mean is there any place besides Ford???
I would like to black out my bumper and grille but I cant find anything on the net....
I would actaully like a rattle can but if I have to do the other than thats okay too....I think I have a automotive spray gun somewheres....

Thanks
~Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak
Re: ford paint

black paint is black paint.go to any auto store, and find some gloss black. if that doesnt work, go to your body shop, and tell them to mix you some and put it in a rattle can for you.

i know alot of people say that the rattle can just isnt as good, but i use it on alot of vehicles. its all about prep-work. if your bumpers are chrome, pick up some bulldog adhesion promotor too.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMRCM#1
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

yeah I never thought of that..... there really arent "shades" of black....

DAMN....I really feel like Andrew today.... I am just full of stupid questions!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Send a message via AIM to slowleak

just be sure it is automotive paint. i will be going to advanced auto in a minute, i will write down what you need and pm you. i used the touch up bottle and you cant even tell. it matched very well.

2005 F350 prairie tan/black crew cab FX4 innovative tunes, exhaust

PMRCM#1
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

well I have some Krylon "Fusion" paint that I forgot I had....it says it is for plastic and it is black....should I try it on that lower flat black valance piece?? I know I need to sand and everything but is that okay paint???

Thanks

oh and BTW, Thanks Jvencius!! I do like the way that looks!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 AM
PSN Veteran

if you want paint to run in a spray gun you might want to check at a parts store that mixes paint on site and see if they have any laying around that no one picked up. At the store I use to work at we had a whole table set up of no show or wrong color paint.

2006 F-250 CC SWB Amarillo with all the toys:
CAT back MBRP SS system, pillar gauges (ext,boost, trans, temp) cobra 29, rear flood lights installed F350 emblems in place of the 250's
and one freshly removed PSN sticker!!!!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 AM
PSN Veteran

some blacks are tinted. are you painting over chrome or only plastic. if your only painting plastic, use some bulldog, no not the tuner. adhiesion permoter? spelling wrong!!

most paint stores can provide you with oem colors in a rattle can, the problem comes in the clearcoat! they cannot put hardener in the can bacause it will------ harden in the can! so you really need to mix it yourself, and spray thru spraygun. if you need more help, just ask, and i will provide you with as much as you need!

02 dmax cc dually 4wd "miss piggy" tow bitch, afe pr7, magnaflow, Kennedy lift pump, dual rail mount filters, PPE tunes
00 f350 srw rc=6100lbs
ats comp housing,bdp 1.0 exhaust,afe pr7,4in turbo back magnaflow,hx cross,di regulated return,bbha,dp hi,40,80e,120r,6.oh no cooler autometer gauges, dual rail mount filters
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd4me2 View Post
some blacks are tinted. are you painting over chrome or only plastic. if your only painting plastic, use some bulldog, no not the tuner. adhiesion permoter? spelling wrong!!

most paint stores can provide you with oem colors in a rattle can, the problem comes in the clearcoat! they cannot put hardener in the can bacause it will------ harden in the can! so you really need to mix it yourself, and spray thru spraygun. if you need more help, just ask, and i will provide you with as much as you need!
hmmm....

well right now I just want to do the mirrors and door handles and such.....

right now I have some plastic primer, shiny black plastic paint, a some clearcote in a rattle can..... that aint gonna cut it????

Thanks
~Jim
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:47 AM
PSN Veteran

i don't think so but, that's just my opinon, however i have been an automotive painter for 25 years. its a good idea to use the primer but, i would still deffinetly use bulldog first! then the primer. bulldog does come in a rattle can also.
but paint only sticks to plastic so well! there is a plastic conditioner to use for cleaning before you spray anything but, i usualy just use alcohol, rubbing not drinking! rubbing is cheaper, doesn't taste good though! so excpect some to chip off over it's life time! but if your set on doing it, go for it. just do all the steps that you can to ensure that it lastest. fixing it later is a bitch if it flakes off! so ask some more if you need to! and clearcoat in a can, i would not do it! but to each his own.

02 dmax cc dually 4wd "miss piggy" tow bitch, afe pr7, magnaflow, Kennedy lift pump, dual rail mount filters, PPE tunes
00 f350 srw rc=6100lbs
ats comp housing,bdp 1.0 exhaust,afe pr7,4in turbo back magnaflow,hx cross,di regulated return,bbha,dp hi,40,80e,120r,6.oh no cooler autometer gauges, dual rail mount filters
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks!

well the only good thing is that with matte black mirrors and then I am putting on a shiny black finish, it wont show near as much when it flakes....especially compared to white!!

so the clearcote it a no, no......damn....what is the reason for not using it???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode