Painting Grill oval and badges - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Painting Grill oval and badges

Has anyone ever tried to paint the front grill oval and fender, door and tailgate badges? I wanted to black them out with either flat or gloss black. If anyone has attempted this before do you have any tips? I think if I scuff them up a bit and spray a few coats it will get the job done. Would like to remove the front oval to paint but considering taping off fender, door and tailgate badges. Thoughts?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 PM
PSN Local

Re: Painting Grill oval and badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC2FTY View Post
Has anyone ever tried to paint the front grill oval and fender, door and tailgate badges? I wanted to black them out with either flat or gloss black. If anyone has attempted this before do you have any tips? I think if I scuff them up a bit and spray a few coats it will get the job done. Would like to remove the front oval to paint but considering taping off fender, door and tailgate badges. Thoughts?
Thanks
The front oval is easy to remove from the grille just a couple of lock tabs and one nut. I removed all the fender and rear oval badges from the truck with a hair dryer and fishing line, I found that easier than taping off the truck. Scuffed them all with a scotch brite pad and even wet sanded them a little with sandpaper. Primed all of them with some ahesion promoter and painted them with a few coats of krlyon fusion satin black. I had bought some white decals to go back over them, but that company no longer makes decals for Fords. They still look like the day I painted them.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:38 PM
A Ghost these days...

My grill and all my badges are painted Semi Gloss Black. I didn't mess with the Ford ovals.

Use 30lb test fishing line or a hair dryer to remove your badges.

I used an XL grill so I didn't have to peal off the chrome.

Use plenty of clear coat after you finish with the black.

2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed

~Cryo'd Forged Rods ~Comp 910's ~DI Push Rods ~ARP Studs ~IH Up-pipes ~GTP38R/1.15 ~238/80's ~Fuelab ~Built Auto ~Matt's Tunes ~Water Inj. ~Gooseneck Brand Flatbed

Rockin' Out with some help from: Alpine / Rockford Fosgate / Memphis / Infinity

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamanub View Post
The front oval is easy to remove from the grille just a couple of lock tabs and one nut. I removed all the fender and rear oval badges from the truck with a hair dryer and fishing line, I found that easier than taping off the truck. Scuffed them all with a scotch brite pad and even wet sanded them a little with sandpaper. Primed all of them with some ahesion promoter and painted them with a few coats of krlyon fusion satin black. I had bought some white decals to go back over them, but that company no longer makes decals for Fords. They still look like the day I painted them.

Thanks for the tips!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 01:01 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC2FTY View Post
Thanks
Fender vents:

Grille:

Tailgate:

The fender vents were pretty easy. I scuffed them up with 400 grit and painted over them with cheap duplicolor. They've held up very well.

With the grille and tailgate badges, I actually had a little accident with acetone on the front one and it stripped the paint right off. Instead of buying a new one I decided to scrub the rest off and paint over it with some paint I had laying around. It's actually VHT Nightshades and it's held up great. I didn't have any flat or satin black laying around and this was as close as I could get.

Not the most conventional methods, but they've worked out so far.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick36 View Post
Fender vents:

Grille:

Tailgate:

The fender vents were pretty easy. I scuffed them up with 400 grit and painted over them with cheap duplicolor. They've held up very well.

With the grille and tailgate badges, I actually had a little accident with acetone on the front one and it stripped the paint right off. Instead of buying a new one I decided to scrub the rest off and paint over it with some paint I had laying around. It's actually VHT Nightshades and it's held up great. I didn't have any flat or satin black laying around and this was as close as I could get.

Not the most conventional methods, but they've worked out so far.
You got a good lookin truck

2000 F-350 4x4 DRW 200,000 miles DP tuner Stock, 40T, decel, 60T, 80T, 80eco, 120race, ported compressor housing, bellowed up-pipes, Terminator T-500, FPR Spring mod, AIH delete, autometer ford factory match boost, pyro, trans, HPX crossover tube, AFE Stage II CAI, 5in Straight pipe, JW valve body, Deep transmission Pan with magnet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 06:09 PM
All done now

I new I had seen instructions for this somewhere.

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

Early '99 F350 DRW, Excab, LB. Auto. 2WD, 2010 bed, 2005 headlights, 298K, on my way to 1000K.
H2E, 238 Hybrids, Adrenaline oil, Tuned by Tony. DIY Regulated Return.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:55 PM
PSN Newb

heres a painted grill, with IH emblem overlays

and shaved badges

I have to have a rear overlay made though
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 AM
PSN Veteran

I painted my front oval badge with VHT nightshades. Turned out pretty neat, I've got a thread with pics somewhere here

99.5 F250, 4x4, Lariat, CC/SB, 4r100 Gauges, Intake, Exhaust, Lots of black/smoked parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltaine View Post
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 02:21 AM
PSN Newb

do you know where i can find that small oval badge for the tailgate in black and red? or how i can paint it to be black and red? i am completley stumped on this because i cant find the badge in black and red anywhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode