Where to put the spare? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Where to put the spare?

Just ordered some rims for my truck. They are the XD series 795 black hoss's, 18x9's, 8x170, offset is -12, backside setting is 4.53. My question is whenever i get some tires on these things, probably 33" or 35" tires, where can i put the spare? It looks like it wont fit underneath b/c of the tow hitch, the spare underneath it is pretty much touchin the hitch. Cant mount it to the bed b/c i need the bed. I was thinking of mounting it behind my toolbox, put some chains around it and lock so nobody will steal it. Anyone else done this? If possible post some pics of where you put your spare. Thanks, Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
MINK

Re: Where to put the spare?

I havnt ran a spare in 10,000 miles...when I go on a trip I throw the spare in the bed if i can remember to

Josh Mink
CAMB MOTORSPORTS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Still a kid to some ppl

i foreget what company makes it but i've seen it ALOT on the trails in moab & such. its a tube tailgate with a built in tire carrier... they look badass & serve both functions.. look into it. someone post up pics..

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:27 AM
40 lug nuts

You're talking about a tire gate. Don't have the exact name of the company off the top of my head, but if you google it I'm sure you'll find what oldford is talking about.

I have a topper on my truck and had a buddy fabricate a tire chaulk like motorcycles use for their front tires on trailers. I can loosen one bolt and pull the top "V" section out and be left with only a 3/8" horseshoe shaped piece of steel in the bed. Course, it works because the topper hides the 37" tire standing straight up.....

Just be advised that if you leave a nice tire and rim in your bed, it will disappear regardless of how you have it secured. Locks only keep the honest man out.

BULLETPROOF DIESEL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Biofuels Technologies
1A Auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 F-250
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:31 AM
PSN Local

I wanted to run one of these but man they are spendy and dont offer any real security from theft of the tire or gate that i can see. but it does look pretty bada$$ for sure.

TireGate.com - The Ultimate Spare Tire Carriers!

Jimmy
Early '99 (8/98) F350 CC LB, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, ZF6, 3.73, aFe Stage 2
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:01 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake05 View Post
You're talking about a tire gate. Don't have the exact name of the company off the top of my head, but if you google it I'm sure you'll find what oldford is talking about.

I have a topper on my truck and had a buddy fabricate a tire chaulk like motorcycles use for their front tires on trailers. I can loosen one bolt and pull the top "V" section out and be left with only a 3/8" horseshoe shaped piece of steel in the bed. Course, it works because the topper hides the 37" tire standing straight up.....

Just be advised that if you leave a nice tire and rim in your bed, it will disappear regardless of how you have it secured. Locks only keep the honest man out.
Got any pics of the setup?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM
PSN Newb

I had a 35" under my 03 truck w/ MBRP single 4".
I think 35" is max.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Busy Busy

Yes, 35" is the max...

443.553.9234 - 410.392.3262

Elkton, Maryland

2001 F250 Platinum - 11.62 @ 115.76 on Nitrous
2007 F250 - 10.916 @ 122.86 on Fuel
2005 F450 - Tow Bitch
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:46 PM
40 lug nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layson View Post
Got any pics of the setup?
Not yet, but I'd be happy to take some and send 'em your way. Just had another piece welded on this past weekend to hold SCUBA tanks so it hasn't been painted, but you'll get the idea of what it looks like.

PM me your cell # and I'll send 'em out.

BULLETPROOF DIESEL

Biofuels Technologies
1A Auto

2005 F-250
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Still a kid to some ppl

see this is the reason i got AAA... aint gotta worry bout carrying spare tires & stuff...plus my dad has his own shop so if im within distance he could just come out & tow me home

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode