Line-x over rust......... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Oooo, White Lightning !

Line-x over rust.........

I have lately been attacked by rust.......All my fenders are starting to rust as well as at the bottom of my doors.........Ive been thinking about a paint job, but then I figured why not just Line-x over it.......Starting at the headlight and working my way back the where the box ends on both sides.......Wrapping it under the door until it hits the door panel.......What do you guys think........My truck is white so I would use black......Give it a two-tone look.........What would happen to the spots where rust has developed ?
I figure a good paint job and rust removal will be at least wice the price or more of the Line-X, on top of that the Line-X will not chip away like my paint has.

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
33" Nittos on 20" Fuel Hostages
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:34 AM
OBS junkie

Re: Line-x over rust.........

You better clean the rust off of there first & prep it. Other wise it will rust out under the Line-X & you'll have a big mess to deal with. If you did black on white it would look just fine & work good too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Oooo, White Lightning !

I tried to clean the rust first.........I hit it with a blender wheel like 120 grit then a wire wheel........And then I primed it, just ot try and stop it.......It didnt work.......
I was told I used the wrong primer.....

Any other techniques for removing rust.......
So in that retrospect should I take it to Line-X bare metal or with a shot of primer ?

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:08 AM
PSN Veteran

"boy" go to an automotive paint store and get a
"3m black sponge type roloc disk" use it to grind off your bogus primer, then use 220 to feather it in, then use an etching acid on the bare metal, buy at paint store also, read directions, and follow them. the rust in the pours does not have to be completly gone! then buy, and apply por-15, and you will not have a rust problem ever again. then you can apply the line-x, all will be good. i was a bodyman longer than you have been alive

i did a quick search, it looks like i cant find the black,looks like they have different colors now. ask at paint store. you do not want the green disk, or a scotchbrite disk, you want the one with thick type scothbrite with abrasive imbeded into it, they will know what you want.

02 dmax cc dually 4wd "miss piggy" tow bitch, afe pr7, magnaflow, Kennedy lift pump, dual rail mount filters, PPE tunes
00 f350 srw rc=6100lbs
ats comp housing,bdp 1.0 exhaust,afe pr7,4in turbo back magnaflow,hx cross,di regulated return,bbha,dp hi,40,80e,120r,6.oh no cooler autometer gauges, dual rail mount filters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Go Away I'm Baitin

Send a message via AIM to fishinfool98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd4me2 View Post
"3m black sponge type roloc disk" use it to grind off your bogus primer, then use 220 to feather it in, then use an etching acid on the bare metal, buy at paint store also, read directions, and follow them. the rust in the pours does not have to be completly gone! then buy, and apply por-15, and you will not have a rust problem ever again. then you can apply the line-x, all will be good. i was a bodyman longer than you have been alive

i did a quick search, it looks like i cant find the black,looks like they have different colors now. ask at paint store. you do not want the green disk, or a scotchbrite disk, you want the one with thick type scothbrite with abrasive imbeded into it, they will know what you want.
what he said

you must have some painting exp!

06 CCLB SRW grey first mod was PSN sticker

Sailors may come
Sailors may go
Tis the engineer below
That makes it Suck, Push, Bang, and Blow

"Closed due to EXPLOSIVE diarrhea, will be back when the EXPLOSIONS are over!"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Oooo, White Lightning !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd4me2 View Post

Thanks.....

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfool98 View Post
what he said

you must have some painting exp!
yep,i also owned a body shop,also painted vehicales for t.v. & magazine add's. i know one end from the other on an iwata, and a sata jet.
i can paint with both hands in the dark w/ both eyes closed!

dieselboy, i will try to remember to post a picture of the disk for you, and don't worry about the acid, it will not hurt the existing paint. but you must remove all of the paint and primer that you sprayed over the rust.

02 dmax cc dually 4wd "miss piggy" tow bitch, afe pr7, magnaflow, Kennedy lift pump, dual rail mount filters, PPE tunes
00 f350 srw rc=6100lbs
ats comp housing,bdp 1.0 exhaust,afe pr7,4in turbo back magnaflow,hx cross,di regulated return,bbha,dp hi,40,80e,120r,6.oh no cooler autometer gauges, dual rail mount filters
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Oooo, White Lightning !

Ok.......Will do..........By paint store do you have any names.....One of my dads friends is in the autobody buis, so i will give him a call as well.........He should know what your talking about.....Thanks again.....I hate rust, makes a nice truck look like sh!t

Race truck
2002 F-350XL RC/LB
NADP Race Trans/PCS'd
Lowered w/ traction bars
Unlimited 450/400s
S475 on Irates mount
TE 17* with Gen3
DI Headers
Dieselboy fuel system
[email protected]
599.3 on BDs dyno

Tow pig
2000 F-250XLT EC/SB
Tuned
Exhaust
Intake
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 09:20 PM
PSN Veteran

i don't know any names of autobody supply stores in the great white. look in phone book under, autobody supplies. the disc that i am reffering to is the black one. but as is said, it looks like maybe they have changed colors now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00020.jpg (78.8 KB, 13 views)

00 f350 srw rc=6100lbs
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:38 AM
OBS junkie

Nope they are still black. Local Walmart carries a couple diffrent ones.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode