4" to 4" exhaust connector: Bad idea? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

4" to 4" exhaust connector: Bad idea?

I bought my tuner and exhaust used. The exhaust is off of an '08 cc/sb and I have an '08 cc/lb. No big deal. I purchased a piece of 4" tubing that is 4' long and was going to cut it down a couple of feet and just have it welded to the dpf/doc delete pipe before the muffler. I woulda needed to extend it about 2' to make up the difference.

I just went out to line everything up to see what I was working with, and it looks like I can use the entire 4' extension, discard the Basanni muffler all together, and run a straight pipe instead. Even if it's short a couple inches it won't interfere with anything.

If I do that I would hope to use clamped on exhaust connectors instead of having it welded. I could see my wife getting annoyed with the straight pipe sound and me putting the muffler back on shortly thereafter. With exhaust connectors it gives me the chance to install the muffler at anytime vs. if I was to have the pipes welded.

Is there any problem running 2 more connection points in the exhaust system?

Here's what I had in mind: Exhaust Connector 4" ID to 4" ID

The only thing I can think of is increasing the chances of the exhaust coming apart while driving down the road...

With that, are there any kind of exhaust clamps that are better than the other? I would need 4 more if I went this route.

Thanks in advance.

Derrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Canadian Stroker

Re: 4" to 4" exhaust connector: Bad idea?

If you are going that route. Use the exhaust clamps that are on big rigs. They are a band style clamp and work way better and keep everything tight and sealed.

2002 XLT CC LB 6speed SRW
4"mbrp turbo back
S&B Intake
autometer NV boost,pyro,water temp and oil pressure
WW2,BRV
DP tunes - QI,60E,80E,40T,60T,100,120.
EBPV delete sensor.
blank pedestal and EBPV housing
ATS turbo housing
DI up-pipes.
2007 headlights,2008 taillights,2010 tailgate
17"Atx ledge with Dick Cepek Extreme Country
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledoor View Post
If you are going that route. Use the exhaust clamps that are on big rigs. They are a band style clamp and work way better and keep everything tight and sealed.
Not sure I'm familiar with those.
Should I just google "band style exhaust clamp"?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Busted Knuckles

well they are what they sound like. its a band clamp about 3 inches wide or so. you can get them at any local shop probably. I have an international garage right down the road from me and thats what i used when I did my muffler delete!

'97 Powerstroke SCLB:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
i have a couple friends that went balls deep in wyotech and when they got out they couldn't poor piss out of a boot if you put the directions on the sole
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Davey B

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick36 View Post
Not sure I'm familiar with those.
Should I just google "band style exhaust clamp"?
You can google it, or just go to napa and ask for 1. You shouldnt have any problems with the exhaust falling off when using them

95 CCLB- 238/100s, H2E, termy t500, wipe out pushrods, comp 910s, mbrp exhaust, bdp tunes, and 8" lift
99 ex cab - Rolled 3/10/10
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Sweet, thanks guys!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Scab

I put one on my truck when I took off the muffler and it works great.

ADAM

2004 ECSB
1997 CCLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDPlayer View Post
NASCAR ditched all the 7.3L response vehicles cause they couldn't get out to the accident scene fast enough. When lives matter, HP wins.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 04:17 AM
Canadian Eh

Dynomax Performance 33274 - Walker Lap-Joint Band Clamps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

i got two of these holding my muffler on. they are stainless, good quality and have a seal on them. they have them for lap joints with the pipes overlapped or but joints with two same sized pipes

96 F250 7.3, auto, eclb, D60 swap, TS 6 pos, diy intake, Flo-pro turboback, ccv mod, Isspro gauges, Detroit Truetrac, 16x10 eagles, 315/75/16 Fierce Attitudes
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16yrenthusiest View Post
Dynomax Performance 33274 - Walker Lap-Joint Band Clamps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

i got two of these holding my muffler on. they are stainless, good quality and have a seal on them. they have them for lap joints with the pipes overlapped or but joints with two same sized pipes
Thats what I was thinking. I went out and checked my setup and saw that these were being used: 4" Stainless AccuSeal Band Clamp exhaust parts stacks-3394

I'll see if I can find them locally and if not I'll get some on order.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode