How Much Can Be Removed? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
<--Spy Vs. Spy

How Much Can Be Removed?

Say I were to try to take everything off of the truck, from the windshield forward. I know the fenders come off, but what about that "sub fender" thing? Does that have to be welded?

I have two body mounts in the front completely broken off, and I'd like to take it all off and make sure everything is structurally sound while I'm in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
<--Spy Vs. Spy

Re: How Much Can Be Removed?

Also, if anyone has pictures....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

228-365-0698
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Inner fenders are welded to the cab corners and the radiator support is welded to the inner fenders. I would NOT remove these parts if you didn't have to. You can take all the cab mounts loose and lift the cab if you need clearance for repairing the mounts. Here is mine mid-rebuild (bought it totaled), you can see where the inner fender welds to the cab.

2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost SuperCrew 6.5' 4x4

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
<--Spy Vs. Spy

Mine has been wrecked at one time too. Where you have it seperated in that picture, was it hard to weld back?? I'm no welder, but I could tack it in there just fine... It was hit from the driver front, and I don't know how much damage was done...

Notice how the headlight is pushed to the passenger side?

228-365-0698
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 PM
PSN Veteran

I drilled the new part and replaced the factory spot welds with a MIG. Had a not-at-fault accident a year later and a few of the welds near the upper pillar popped because they didn't get hot enough, drilled them out and made sure I got good penetration that time.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
<--Spy Vs. Spy

Cool. Thanks for the info. I may buy a whole front clip. So you just overlapped the old and the new and welded where you drilled out the old panels?

228-365-0698
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
<--Spy Vs. Spy

I got under my truck and looked more today... Looks like the same damage was done on both of out trucks. My bumper mount has even been cut off and rewelded...

Did you just find a frame repair shop or something??

228-365-0698
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 03:14 PM
PSN Veteran

I really wouldn't remove the front clip unless you absolutely have to. I would remove the radiator support from the inner fenders before removing the inner fenders from the cab. Nothing was overlapped in my repair, old panels were removed by drilling the spot welds and new panels were welded in place. The frame I had straightened and then welded new flanges on the end, you can buy the flanges new from Ford.

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
<--Spy Vs. Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanea View Post
I really wouldn't remove the front clip unless you absolutely have to. I would remove the radiator support from the inner fenders before removing the inner fenders from the cab. Nothing was overlapped in my repair, old panels were removed by drilling the spot welds and new panels were welded in place. The frame I had straightened and then welded new flanges on the end, you can buy the flanges new from Ford.
Do you mean that's ALL you would remove?? Because if so, that's why I'm removing the whole thing, the guys that "fixed" it before decided that they could just do the radiator support and the "corner" where the headlights meet the inner fenders and weld it all back together... They suck. And everything's crooked... Is it really THAT big of a PITA to do??

228-365-0698
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:54 PM
PSN Veteran

There are a lot of spot welds... The radiator support is the entire front piece that the headlights also mount to, so if your headlights are crooked, but the height of the front of the fenders is correct, then you only need to replace the radiator support part. It welds to the inner fenders at the very corner, outside the headlight mounts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode