Questions about Gearvendors under/overdrives - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Science rulz

Send a message via AIM to Coltaine
Questions about Gearvendors under/overdrives

Well, seeing as the price of fuel over here in the oil-nation Norway has been steadily increasing for the past 10 years(~$7 a gallon atm), and show no signs of dropping back down, I'm looking into some aspects of getting some better mileage.

I've been reading about this gear vendors thing, and I am quite taken with the idea, I like the auto, and don't really want to go into swapping for a manual tranny. Considering also that the max speed limit I usually drive in is ~50 mph I don't really need much to get me some better mileage, something like 18-20 ish mpg would be nice, currently at 15-18 mpg for daily driving.

The other option, since I rarely tow/haul anything, and I can't tow more than like 7700lbs anyway(and haul 3300, don't see that happening in the near future though), would be re-gearing the axles would that be a better/cheaper option? I feel that the 4.10's are killing me a little, atleast my wallet. :P And before anyone mentions that I don't need a dually for a DD, well, consider it my statement that I don't believe that man is 100% accountable for global warming, or cooling as it is right now... And it's IMO a sweet looking truck.

The only thing really stopping me right now is that I've promised myself to "bulletproof" the tranny before I start playing with anything else, oh and my wallet, I want some tunes and hybrids and a 38r from Matt @ gearhead, and I also want an adrenaline hpop. That will be it for the engine, I keep telling myself that every night as I go to sleep. (Ok maybe studs, valvesprings valves, ported tops, bellowed uppies and some other small things >_>)

Right so back to the Gear vendors. Yay or Nay? At 3200+shipping+handling+modded prop shafts it'll end up costing me about the same as a full year of fuel, roughly. Who sells pinion and crown wheels for re-gearing? Price etc.

Discuss.

Brgrds Coltaine.

(Edit: Or does the GV just replace the rear of the transfer case?, oh yeah and I guess you can't use it while in 4x4?)

One of them truckless bastards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Questions about Gearvendors under/overdrives

There are two gear vendor overdrives, one that goes inbetween your trans and tcase and one that goes at the end. One can be engaged in 4 wheel the other can't.
The consensus seems to be that a gear vendors OD will eat your auto, but no one can tell me why. Yes, your 4.10s are hurting you, but at 45-50 mph, probably not much.
I would look for some ring and pinions. Five or six hundred (usd), you can tow 10k or so, and you'll pick up some mileage.

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Science rulz

Well I have seen the statements that it will kill the auto, but the way I see it since I run mostly unloaded it can't be that bad, besides there's always the option of switching it off if I haul/tow something.

Do you know a good vendor that has ring and pinions? I was kinda thinking 3.73's maybe even 3.55's..

Will the GV kill a fully built auto? I'm pretty easy on my truck since I want it to last for 10 more years at least.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:47 PM
PSN Veteran

the only reason I can think of that it would be an issue would be the low rpm's causing insufficient clutch pressure or cooling flow... after that, i'm out of ideas.
if that's the case, then I would think it would eat the built auto too. I was hoping someone with more knowledge would post up...
I don't know of the vendor that would, but I'm sure we have one in PSN that could help ya out...

Dan

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Science rulz

Cheers

I'll go use my awesome powers of failing at internet searching then

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Crazy Redneck

I just had my tranny done at BTS on May 4th, and Brian did not say anything about the gear vendors haning on the back of the transfercase. He asked me how it was working and how low my RPM's got. That was it, not, you need to pull it off or it is gonna kill your brand new built tranny.

So I think its safe to say the GV won't kill an automatic regaurdless of what you have heard.

Marc

GV is coming out anyways, I regeared the truck, so I don't need the double overdrive.

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Little air, fuel and oil and a BTS.

533/1050 5-8-10

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:23 PM
PSN Local

your right next to Denmark and your not using Dynaudio???? The best speakers made.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Bigfoot is an OBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCOOL View Post
I just had my tranny done at BTS on May 4th, and Brian did not say anything about the gear vendors haning on the back of the transfercase. He asked me how it was working and how low my RPM's got. That was it, not, you need to pull it off or it is gonna kill your brand new built tranny.

So I think its safe to say the GV won't kill an automatic regaurdless of what you have heard.

A guy with a BTS trans was back in for a chip at the same time I got my chip from them. The other guy had a OBS PSD with E4OD, dually, CC, and had added the D60 front axle for 4 wheel drive. He had the GV, and Brian was asking him about mileage, RPMs, etc... If Brian ever thought the GV was a bad thing, he never gave any indication of it while I was there.

Go ARMY!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:06 PM
PSN Veteran

good to hear it won't. how long did you have it on there before the BTS? did you need a rebuild when you went to bts or was it only for the power?

Dan

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Crazy Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondarychaos View Post

good to hear it won't. how long did you have it on there before the BTS? did you need a rebuild when you went to bts or was it only for the power?
Had it for about 6000 miles before. The tranny was built because it was a stocker that I got when I did the swap, and there was no way in hell it was gonna hold up to the 300's/S476 combo.

Marc

2000 F350 CC dually auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Little air, fuel and oil and a BTS.

533/1050 5-8-10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode