Amsoil Dual Bypass - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Amsoil Dual Bypass

I have been running this system for a while now, but am getting tired of 50.00 worth of filters, and having to order them. Not being able to change my oil when I have time, ect...
I was told by one of the "Dealers", (the guy who is in the pyramid scheme,) you be a dealer, and then get others to pay the 25.00 a year to be a "Preferred customer" and get a discount, They make money every time YOU order something,,,,,ect.... Blah Blah, Blah,,,,
That there were no filters that crossed, that the threads were Propitiatory to Amsoil,, I took him on his word for a while,, then called Amsoil.

DON'T get me wrong, I AM NOT dissing Amsoil,, just the way you have to go about purchasing the products,,,

Well, the tech department at Amsoil told me what filters cross over to the EA-026 and the BP-100.

These filters are off the shelf at O'Rileys PH8A and 3976A
I just put them onto the filter head for the Dual Bypass.
The PH 3976 is off a Cummins. The PH8 I am not sure what it's off of.

Now, I UNDERSTAND that one is not a "Bypass" filter, and may not filter down to the same microns,,, but if I keep my oil changed like I normally do, I feel it should be just fine. And I should still benefit with a "Dual filtration" system.

Just an info note to anyone who is also tired of paying that much, and having to order them.

*48* Jim T. 2011 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, SRW. White Platinum Metallic Tricoat. Black leather seats, I probably wont have*PMS,, with this one, at least no major attacks of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 PM
owner/president

Send a message via MSN to dixieland-diesels
Re: Amsoil Dual Bypass

Thanks for the info and research.

03 lariat cc,4x4 7.3,DP-F5,36''MT,8"lift w/trac.bars,4"Silverline ss.exh,AFE II,Optimas,ATS housing,WW,Turbomaster,6.0 IC & tranny cooler,BTS,ISSPRO gauges,HPX,ITP RR,BRV+,Powerslots,WARN prem-hubs,coolant filter,ccv mod,08 mirrors,ARP's,mod.fuel & inj's.,Crower rods,AIH delete,AMSOIL fluids. ~waitn on the 38R~
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Strokin' in Green Bay

Thanks a lot for that info! I am running the same system as you and often wondered if there were different filters we could use.

2009 F-250 H-D CCSB - 4" dp back, H&S Black Maxx, gages, Technicooler, ATS stage 2 trans, BDS 8" 4 link rear spring lift with Fox shox.

Sold: '01 F-350 Lariat 4x4 CC - Modded

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

No problem guys, it took me a couple years to finally call and see for sure.

I know it's a quality system, but really hate having to order them. And can't see the sense of having two spares sitting on the shelf all the time.

I have them on, started it, oil pressure is fine, no leaks. The seals and openings are exactly the same,, only the one off the 3976 is slightly smaller around for the filter housing than the BP100.

*48* Jim T. 2011 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, SRW. White Platinum Metallic Tricoat. Black leather seats, I probably wont have*PMS,, with this one, at least no major attacks of it!
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:11 PM
PSN Veteran

The PH8A should be the Ford FL1A.

2001 F-350 CC Drw, GT-4294/1.01, 200cc splits, AFE stage 2, custom fuel system, Rickson 19.5's, many more mods.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 AM
CtG
PSN Veteran

Nowhere near the filtration capacity. If you want to let small bits of metal (and I mean really small) and the soot particles stay in your oil and completely defeat the purpose of a bypass setup, go for it.
A bypass setup will extend engine life.
You want to see a pyramid? Hmm... Gee... Lets see... 1 CEO, a few officials under him, a few under each of them, a few under them.... Narrow at the top, wide at the bottom. Last I checked.... That looks like a pyramid!
Don't diss on a business system that has worked for years just because you'd rather not be a part of it.

PH8A is off of the majority of Ford engines from the 90's and earlier.

If you are going to get a full-flow filter to put on that filter head, the best filtration you can get will come from a Purolator PureONE PL30001.

I'd imagine that filter head limits flow to a minute amount, as most bypass setups.

Family Rides-
99.5 F250 PSD SC 4x4 SD: BTS, SS 4" Exh, 6637, 6-pos chip, 4" lift, Reg. Return, FFD 160CC Single's, GTP38R, Adrenaline, Fuel Bowl Delete- 410HP/828TQ Wheel

02 Excursion 4x4 PSD: 4" DP-back w/ Aero-Turbine, Larry's Black Box, BTS
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
the best filtration you can get will come from a Purolator PureONE PL30001.
I thank you very much for the info...
And just because a "System" has worked for years,, doesn't mean it's the best.
Tell me,, why doesn't Amsoil just sell their stuff across the counter? Don't you really think they would sell more? It just pisses me off, that I have to PAY 25.00 a year to buy their stuff,, and even then at not such a "Reasonable Price" nearly 50.00 for two filters? Sheesh,,,
I'll run that Purolator one next change I am sure...

Oh,, and as far as filtration goes,, there are about a bizillion HIGH MILE 7.3L's running around that still only use ONE stock filter,,,,
What do they know?

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:37 AM
PSN Veteran

The one point of it defeating the use of bypass is correct. I do not like amsoil marketing strategy either but that is off topic. The fact is you are not gaining much for the added cost by running a dual filter with both being free flowing filters. You are not even getting the full flow capacity of the one in the bypass position as it is only seeing at most 10% flow. The PL30001 for the cost is a good filter but would not call it best but when you add in cost its a good value for the budget minded. There are many high mileage 7.3 out there no doubt but there are many more worn out at much lower mileage. The idea behind bypass is for either those looking for the cleanest oil possible especially given the HEUI or those wanting longer OCI or a combo of those two. If you are not going to use the bypass low mic filter than I would suggest selling the unit and going back to the standard factory mount on the cooler. You could then use something like the fleetguard LF-9691 which is a venturi dual full flow bypass filter with a much larger capacity than standard spec 7.3 filter. Baldwin and donaldson also have similar dual filter tech oil filters.
In fact its donaldson not amsoil that creates develops and manf those filters that have amsoil labels. The game is not that big in filter manf nut there are plenty of labeled brands.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Village Idiot

Wonder what the filter cost is for the big systems.. ie
Fs2500, amsoil, the toilet paper jobbie, and the filtergaurd. Not sure on that name?
But the one haulin horses2 uses

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 PM
USASF Retired

NAPA 1792XD crosses over from the LF-9691 just FYI $21.20 with tax.

1996 F-350 Crewcab 4x4 7.3 PSD E4OD

"The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them." - Raymond S. Kraft

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/15-1999-2010-super-duty-general-aftermarket/61346-amsoil-dual-bypass.html
Posted By For Type Date
BIG donaldson oil filter install - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums This thread Refback 11-17-2015 01:16 AM