Homemade Mini-Spring Pack Leveling Kit - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Homemade Mini-Spring Pack Leveling Kit

Hey guys. Had this idea after hearing so many people bad-mouth the use of the mini-spring packs on ebay. But there's not much to these, and if some of them aren't even made of spring steel (if someone could explain the difference to me, I'd really appreciate it), what's stopping me from throwing some plates together drilling a hole through them, and slapping them under my spring? So I'm looking for reasons and answers to the following questions.

Is there any support added to the existing leafs by going with some official DR pack as opposed to an ebay spring pack? Do the ebay types (plate steel from what I've heard) have any arch to them at all? If not, and I could fab some up on my own, what thickness steel do they utilize? Thanks in advance. And to please all the professionals out there, the $100 saved from building them myself would be put towards an adjustable track bar. Looking forward to the info in the professionally done VS. home made spring pack debate that is to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Haters Gonna Hate

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life
Re: Homemade Mini-Spring Pack Leveling Kit

im interested to, if they could save me money by helping me assemble a set of my own id for sure end up spending the 100$ elsewhere with a sponsor here, after u guys got me started modifying my pickup farther than i already had it became an addiciton, now i wana build a race truck

2004 F-350 CCSB DRW Sport Package..... something else to spend money on
Proud Supporter of Race For The Warriors
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:57 PM
PSN Local

In utah it is illegal to put a block in the front butt stacking metal to look like a taller leaf peal is legal it would be the same as putting a bock in the rear.i built my own just using flat steel anit worked great, all you need is steel new center bolt and u bolts.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:58 PM
PSN Veteran

I don't see why you couldn't.

Pete

2003 F250 FX4 Lariat Crew Cab

No Spray, No Lay...

Custom tuned and sponsored by GoGo Diesel.

Speed never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you. Jeremy Clarkson. Top Gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Haters Gonna Hate

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life

so you its not necessary to use spring steel? cuz i have some junk spring packs i could cut up, but if i can just use flat steel ill go that route, we have a machine shop next door

2004 F-350 CCSB DRW Sport Package..... something else to spend money on
Proud Supporter of Race For The Warriors
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:50 AM
PSN Local

i measured the gap between the top of the tire and the fender directly above, on my truck there was a 3" gap so i built a stack of cold steel that was the same width as the spring and cut them 1.5 inches longer than the one below it, depending on the thickness of steel you can get and the amount of sag in the front is how many peices you need. i drilled a hole through the center of them for the centering pin using a drill press, trust me drill press is the only way to go dont try drilling using a hand drill you will be there for hours! Then all you need is new center bolts and U-bolts. the nice thing about all of this is that the shock is mounted above the leaf springs and the distance between the that and the shock mount will not change, so you will not need to buy new shocks. lifting your truck this way will not change the ride of your truck becuase the spring rate will stay the same, using an add-a-leaf will arch your springs more and cause it to ride a little stiffer, how much? i dont know. but i did not have to get a longer track bar but i would recommend getting an adjustable one so that the truck tracks straight down the road. not having one will pull your axle more toward the passenger side of the truck and will make it dog track but its not noticeable. i was in the whole project minus the track bar less than 100 dollars little cheaper than buying but more fun to build!

2003 F350 7.3L CCLB 190k
29.5 lpm injectors, MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust, Tunes by Matt from Gearhead! WW, DIY intake w/ 6637 filter, leveling kit, Autometer guages
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Lost Cause

The key difference between a block and a mini spring pack is the way they are mounted. A mini pack is bolted to the main leaf pack before the whole assembly is bolted together with u-bolts. A block is only held in place the locating pins and the u-bolts.

2016 F-350, FX4, CCLB, 6.7PSD, 7" OUO/ICON/FOX lift, 38x13.50-18 Toyo MT
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 AM
PSN Local

i have a 2.5 in leveling kit on my truck i just added a solid steel 1 1/2 in. steel block to get a total of 4inchs of lift the block is welded to the axle

99.5 F-250 X-CAB SHORTBED 4X4
Dyno proven tuning
suncoast tranny
P.I.S 238CC/200% hybrids
irate s471 turbo
Fuel system
stealth srp1 hpop
arp studs
comp 910s
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Hey guys - thanks for the response so far. I posted this thread on a couple other forums, and apparently they're a little more "by the book" then guys around here. I honestly haven't seen too much pointing out there would be anything wrong with this, so I'm willing to consider it a little more.

dadozer - what size plate steel did you use? How long was the smallest leaf that you cut? Just wondering what caused the price to be that much... you said close to $100 - that's about what the maxx-lift ones are on ebay?
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
PSN Veteran

you got any pictures of your diy level kit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode