Leveling kit tips? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Leveling kit tips?

Since i'm infinitely derailed as far as getting my leveling kit, wheels and tires installed, I was wondering if there are any tips or tricks regarding the disassembly process? I crawled under the front end yesterday and noticed the front bumper needs to come off, also, I was planning on removing the front air dam but there appears to be part of the bumper support hanging just behind the air dam at both corners? does that come off too? I haven't noticed it in other members photos, or was it because I was looking at it from the wheel well and not straight on.
Anything that can make this install more seemless would be much appreciated.

2001 F-350: Banks Stinger Plus kit, D.I.Y. intake, OttoMind with power pack tune, 33x12.50x20 Mud Grapplers on Pacer 20x12 baja champs, Rough Country leveling kit.
(next ignorant purchase... 5in straight pipe, and a real tuner)

93 Mustang LX - Lots of add ons - Given to Dad, currently Father & Son project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 05:21 PM
got boost

Send a message via AIM to Lmgrcivic
Re: Leveling kit tips?

are you putting a leveling kit in that comes with new leaf springs. I know when I did mine I had a over head crane and hooked to the front so that I could leave the front end suspended in the air, made a world of difference.

01 Black 4dr auto, 118k, BTS trans, RR fuel system, DIY intake, 5in exhaust, CCV, zoodad, non EBV pedestal, high flow outlet, DP-tuner 60hptow, 80hp econo, 100hp per, 120hp race, SS oil crossover line, boost tube, map sensor, IH cps, gauges, RC leveling kit w/leaf springs

94 Civic LS motor turbo'd 11.6 @ 120 14psi stock block
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah the kit comes with new leaf packs, problem is i'm waiting to use my friends shop. I need the lift so the suspension can hang and for ease and speed to get it done. Besides it's just alot easier with a lift.

2001 F-350: Banks Stinger Plus kit, D.I.Y. intake, OttoMind with power pack tune, 33x12.50x20 Mud Grapplers on Pacer 20x12 baja champs, Rough Country leveling kit.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM
PSN Newb

You don't need a lift. I've done several on a jack. Take the bumper and blocker beam off. Most times the front leaf bolts are in from the inside out. If you take the lower A/C condensor brackets off, the bolts should come out. Now, when working from a jack, raise one side of the truck, and support it on jackstand. (You will be completing one side at a time) take u bolts off that side, and just loosen the other side u bolts untill the axle is low enough on the side with no u bolts so you can get the spring out, (after you remove the leaf bolts at front and rear of the spring. You may have to remove track bar to get new spring in. Once both sides are done, set truck back down and have a friend move the steering wheel back and forth untill trac bar lines up. Job done

'03 7.3 CC
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:21 AM
The Ontaribertan.

When I did mine I just suspended the front of the truck up with a hoist and jack stands further back. Then I just dropped the axle down to and used a jack to move it around and lift it back up. This made it really easy to get at the U-bolts.

Quote:
(You will be completing one side at a time)

SOLD -- 2000 F250 7.3 RegCab 4x4

2001 F250 SCSB 4x4 Lariat 120k -- 2.5" Levelled, Duelers on 20in Fuel Octanes, K&N Intake, MBRP 4", DP Tunes, AutoMeter Ultra-Lites.

1971 Chevelle 454 SS Clone -- Father/Son restoration
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Davey B

Another helpfull tip, spray all the bolts with some PB blaster a couple times before you start tearing into it. It makes it come apart alot easier, at least it did for me cuz wisconsin uses way to much salt on the roads in the winter

95 CCLB- 238/100s, H2E, termy t500, wipe out pushrods, comp 910s, mbrp exhaust, bdp tunes, and 8" lift
99 ex cab - Rolled 3/10/10
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the useful tips guys!
I know I don't need a lift, but my roommate is using my big jack right now to do a tranny job in his audi and I tried last week to do it with my fathers 2 1/4 ton jack and it wouldn't even budge it off the ground. So I'm at a stand still until either I get my jack back or the shop becomes available.
BTW, what's the blocker beam look like?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 03:36 PM
PSN Local

If you can do one side at a time, good on ya, I couldn't get the suspension to flex enough to get the old spring out and the new one in. I needed 2 jacks and about 6 jack stands to get the axle to line up straight and to support the frame while I reattached the axle to the springs. You also have to lift the truck way up at the frame and take the tires off and lower the axle. I replaced the track bar at the same time (the kit came with a new one). Otherwise all I can recommend is a big f'ing hammer, pry bar, and a good 1/2" breaker bar and a solid afternoon dedicated to this and this alone.

Spraying everything down with your favorite penetrant a couple of days in advance is also mighty helpful.

Take a look around there are plenty of other helpful tips that I am sure I am forgetting right now.

Good luck
JP5

00 F350 CC LB 4x4 auto. Nitto Terra 285 75 r16 E, Dynatrac free spin hubs, ccv, rancho stabilizer, centramatics, upgraded GPR, DB starter, 2.0 ga pos cable, matching 5th rim, 6637, 4" SS magnaflow, CPR, Scan Gauge, Mag Hytech.

USN VBSS, Burn sink or take a-prize.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 PM
PSN Veteran

Use a lift, pull the bumper and crash bar out and make sure to disconnect the sway bar and track bar.

'03 7.3 lariat crew cab dually FX4
AFE Stage 2
DI 6 position
warn premium hub locks
4" mbrp straight piped exhaust
custom built trans w/ triple disc converter
'07 Front End w/ 6000k HID
AIH delete & CCV Mod
Just over 100k miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Powerstroke Performance Headquarters!"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Does the sway bar have to come out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode