In with the new, or back to the old??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lt.Dan
  • 1 Post By Weatherlite
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cool In with the new, or back to the old???

Last year I sold my 2002 F350 7.3 that's in my signature in order to put a down payment on a house for my family... I bought the truck new in 2002 fresh off the showroom floor... Sold her with 186k miles... Well, I'm now in the market for another big rig and the opportunity might come about for me to buy my old rig back... She has 213k miles on her now with a few additional upgrades and still truckin… I'm caught between buying her back or pulling the trigger on a 2015 6.7... Just looking for some input on what YOU would do...

2002 Ford F-350 7.3

8in FabTech lift, 4.56 gears, 38x13.50 Toyo M/T's on American Racing Teflon Mojave rims, Straight piped, Garrett BB Turbo, AFE Stage II Intake, DI 6-position chip, Auto Meter gauges, boost relief valve...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Unread 11-10-2019, 11:18 PM
Project Shamu

Re: In with the new, or back to the old???

Depends on my financial situation, but I would rather get the newer 2015...
BigMike43 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Unread 11-11-2019, 01:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Nostalgia is great, and there's nothing like the love for a particular truck, but I think if the price was right, and it wouldn't pinch the budget too much, I'd go for the upgrade as well.....making sure, of course, that any issues common to the 6.7 had been resolved on that particular truck.
BigMike43 likes this.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Unread 11-11-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherlite View Post
Nostalgia is great, and there's nothing like the love for a particular truck, but I think if the price was right, and it wouldn't pinch the budget too much, I'd go for the upgrade as well.....making sure, of course, that any issues common to the 6.7 had been resolved on that particular truck.

What are some common issues? I don't know anything about the 6.7

2002 Ford F-350 7.3

8in FabTech lift, 4.56 gears, 38x13.50 Toyo M/T's on American Racing Teflon Mojave rims, Straight piped, Garrett BB Turbo, AFE Stage II Intake, DI 6-position chip, Auto Meter gauges, boost relief valve...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Unread 11-12-2019, 03:05 PM
PSN Veteran

Garage

From what I know (I'm not a 6.7 owner) there were problems with the 2011 and some 2012 turbos (bad ceramic bearings), and for a couple of years there were issues with glow plugs actually impacting the pistons. As I understand it, the 2015 and up model is much improved, and even has the upgraded high pressure fuel pump, so your year should be good, so long as the DPF isn't clogged. I've heard of a few people who have had issues with that. Some delete the DEF and DPF, and add a tuner to compensate, to solve that problem, but you may not be able to depending on emissions requirements in your area. I'd recommend checking out our 6.7 forum and perhaps googling common 6.7 problems to get a better idea of what you may have to look for, but from my reading, the 2015 and up are the best versions of the engine.

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in