Just ordered wheels/tires. What do I do about the TPMS? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Just ordered wheels/tires. What do I do about the TPMS?

I just ordered my wheels and tires from discount tire. They had the option for TPMS rebuild kits, so I went ahead and got those too. They were only like $3 per.

A guy just called me and asked if I wanted them mounted/balanced as well and I said yes, but then he got into I would need to purchase some other sensor...I'm not sure what he was talking about.

He said If I took it somewhere locally, the rebuild kits that I purchased would work, but not if I had them mounted/balanced before they shipped.

I decided to go with my original order and stay with the rebuild kits. Walmart mounts and balances pretty cheap.

What do I need to do with the TPMS stuff? Do I need to give the Walmart people specific instructions, or should they have an idea as to whats going on?

Thanks

Derrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:24 AM
99 superduty on 22.5

Re: Just ordered wheels/tires. What do I do about the TPMS?

did you order new sensors or just the retaining bands for the sensors. if you orderd just the bands when you get your wheels and tires take them to walmart with the new bands and they will take the old sensors adn put them on the new wheels with your new bands.

99 f350 22.5 alcoa's 8" fabtech lift, superchips and edge juice with attitude.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:44 AM
<--Spy Vs. Spy

If your Wal-Mart is anything like mine, I wouldn't let them rotate tires on a Geo Metro. Much less mount and balance my new wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

228-365-0698
Sheep only have two speeds, 'grazing' and 'stampede'.
Regulated Returns are on SALE!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow372 View Post
did you order new sensors or just the retaining bands for the sensors. if you orderd just the bands when you get your wheels and tires take them to walmart with the new bands and they will take the old sensors adn put them on the new wheels with your new bands.
I got the rebuild kits, so I'm assuming it's just the bands. The sensors were like $50 a pop. $200 is a lot to make a little light go off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
If your Wal-Mart is anything like mine, I wouldn't let them rotate tires on a Geo Metro. Much less mount and balance my new wheels.
I had good luck using themfor the same job on my F150. I'm not too worried about using them again...

Thanks guys!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Waitin' on 500

what wheels did you order?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Single Cab Dually
S366 w/Irate mount and plenums, EFuel, Intercooler, P.I.S 175/80s,
Corbeau seats w 08 console, 19.5s, Black Interior with swede headliner and visors,
Custom badges, Flight Fab/DIY traction bars.

2012 CCSB F250 Ultimate Lariat.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:43 AM
PSN Local

Your at a loss any way you skin it.
If you order the new tpms sensors, you will have to take the truck to ford so they can mate the new sensors to your truck, they will charge you for this.

If you take the existing sensors out of your stock wheels and mount them in your new wheels it will work, but you will have to pay somebody to do a dismount/mount/balance to get the tires in working order again.

Walmart, won't touch alot of the aftermarket wheels. If you have a smooth lip similar to a stock profile they will do the job, but most wheels these days have some kind of step or radical lip and walmart (at least the ones around here) will tell you that they can't do the job because they will scratch the wheels.
I brought my new wheels to walmart for a mount, they rung me up at $11 per wheel, and said it would take an hr.
After 10 minutes they told me they couldn't do the job because of the profile of the wheel. I had to take them over to schwab who charged me $99 for the mount/balance. I also had to listen to them bitch because I bought wheels online instead of through them.

Sold my 07 3500 Cummins to get out of a truck payment.
Purchased a 2000 f250 PSD 4x4 CC LWB XLT with leather seats and 70k miles. Very happy with the new/old truck. SCT SF3. DIY Donaldson air filter BHF. ZooDad. New Greesable xrf ball joints/tie rods/inner axle seals.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 AM
Super Sparky

You dont have to go to Ford to program the sensors, the trucks come with a fob to do the programming. Mine was in my glovebox.

2009 F350 4x4 CCLB Job 2
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_k View Post
Your at a loss any way you skin it.
If you order the new tpms sensors, you will have to take the truck to ford so they can mate the new sensors to your truck, they will charge you for this.

If you take the existing sensors out of your stock wheels and mount them in your new wheels it will work, but you will have to pay somebody to do a dismount/mount/balance to get the tires in working order again.

Walmart, won't touch alot of the aftermarket wheels. If you have a smooth lip similar to a stock profile they will do the job, but most wheels these days have some kind of step or radical lip and walmart (at least the ones around here) will tell you that they can't do the job because they will scratch the wheels.
I brought my new wheels to walmart for a mount, they rung me up at $11 per wheel, and said it would take an hr.
After 10 minutes they told me they couldn't do the job because of the profile of the wheel. I had to take them over to schwab who charged me $99 for the mount/balance. I also had to listen to them bitch because I bought wheels online instead of through them.
Hmmm, now that is interesting.
I'm going to have to give them a call to see what they will do. If not, Pep Boys sells/installs aftermarket wheels/tires. They should be able to take care of me.

One way or another I'll get them mounted. It just looks like I'm going to be paying a bit more than I thought. Oh well.

Thanks for the info!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:56 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
You dont have to go to Ford to program the sensors, the trucks come with a fob to do the programming. Mine was in my glovebox.
Thats good that Ford gives you a way to program them. My Infiniti has to go to the dealer for any tpms sensor problems, which has happened twice this last year. I've got 4 more years of warranty with the car, however any tpms problems after warranty, I'll just let the idiot light stay on.

Purchased a 2000 f250 PSD 4x4 CC LWB XLT with leather seats and 70k miles. Very happy with the new/old truck. SCT SF3. DIY Donaldson air filter BHF. ZooDad. New Greesable xrf ball joints/tie rods/inner axle seals.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 03:04 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick36 View Post
Hmmm, now that is interesting.
I'm going to have to give them a call to see what they will do. If not, Pep Boys sells/installs aftermarket wheels/tires. They should be able to take care of me.

One way or another I'll get them mounted. It just looks like I'm going to be paying a bit more than I thought. Oh well.

Thanks for the info!!!
What wheel did you buy? I saw the 3 options that you posted. The walmart around here would mount the first wheel, but the other 2 would probably be a problem for them.
I'm interested to hear if your walmart does the job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode