Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Triple Towing (pulling two trailers)…anyone done it?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  cpdad93 
#1 ·
I have a small 20ft bumper pull camper with a custom hitch welded into the frame so that I can put a ball hitch on it, or bike rack, or anything else I want. I few times, I’ve towed my 10ft utility trailer with a couple of ATV’s on it behind my camper. At first it seemed a little sketchy, but after a while I got used to the idea of another trailer back there that I couldn’t see.

My 05’ F250 pulls it just fine, and I never had any issues. Even getting around tight spots at gas stations or camp ground, that little utility trailer just followed behind the camper….it wasn’t really a big deal at all. Now……I never attempted to back the thing up….I’m sure that would be a nightmare….but it’s easy enough to just disconnect the small utility trailer and push it around once I got to where I was going.

Anyone else tow two trailer…apparently they call it “triple towing”…..not sure why, you would think it would be called “double towing”.

Thoughts?

Kind of like this...

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/files/rv-triple-tow-laws.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
I have towed my boat behind my 5th wheel camper a few times. It pulls great and is short of 70 feet bumper to outboard. I did mount a wireless camera on the back of my 5th wheel that I can see the boat and what is behind it a little better. No backing up, the boat comes off first before doing that.

#3 ·
You have to check your traffic laws where you are at. Some places it's cool. Some places require that the first trailer is a 5rh wheel or gooseneck. Some it's a big no no.

Also tongue weight is huge. If the tongue weight is to much on the last trailer it can cause your front trailer to sway by making the front trailer have little to no tongue weight.

#7 ·
every state is different u have to check the laws of the states u are going to be towing in.

I was born into Gobernment health care. And will die in Gobernment Health care. God Bless Our Military Men And Women.

#10 ·
It is legal most states west of the Mississippi (excluding California). Lengths vary by state. Don't trust Google when checking either. You need to look up the code, not trust what someone else work because there is a lot of information on the web that is incorrect. In Iowa it is legal and so is Minnesota (where I travel the most.)

Here is Iowa's code

321.457 Maximum length.
d. A combination of three vehicles coupled together one of which is a motor vehicle,
unladen or with load, other than a truck tractor, shall not have an overall length, inclusive of
front and rear bumpers, in excess of seventy feet.

#11 ·
Almost every time we go to the lake. 36ft 5th wheel, 21ft boat with extended platform. Its definitely a train, but tows straight and smooth everywhere I have been and have never been questioned. It is legal here, but I may be pushing the max length a tad. Only hurdle is getting fuel. Plan your stops to hit truck stops and all is good.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.