Ways to improve the brakes on 05' Super Duty? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Question Ways to improve the brakes on 05' Super Duty?

I've had my 05' Super Duty for a few years now. I really like the truck, but the brakes have always been sub par. They work, but they just don't compare to any of the newer trucks I've driven. I've flushed all the old fluid out with fresh DOT4 fluid, I've flushed the hydroboost system out with fresh synthetic ATF fluid, I've put new OEM rotors and Wagner HD pads on the front along with new front calipers, and new rubber lines. I haven't done much with the rears except new pads.

Even after all of this, the truck just doesn't stop as well as I'd like. Don't get me wrong, it will come to a pretty quick stop if I really stop on the pedal.......but you really have to stomp on it if you want to stop in a hurry....I can stop just as fast in other trucks I've driven with a pretty light foot.

Is this just how these trucks are? Are the brakes just not as good as the newer trucks? Is there any other ways to improve the brake feel on these trucks?

Thanks!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:01 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Ways to improve the brakes on 05' Super Duty?

Newer is always an improvement. Dana 80 disks are roughly 15” 04 and up IIRC. 2013 up sterling 10.5 axles or what ever the newer axles are called, are upgraded with just as larger of brakes as the older dana 80. So if you drove anything SRW 13 and up that’s what you’re noticing. Larger disks, better materials and more pistons makes all difference.

Look into powerstop brake upgrades. People whom upgrade says they are truly an improvement.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by ​ DieselDC View Post
Newer is always an improvement. Dana 80 disks are roughly 15” 04 and up IIRC. 2013 up sterling 10.5 axles or what ever the newer axles are called, are upgraded with just as larger of brakes as the older dana 80. So if you drove anything SRW 13 and up that’s what you’re noticing. Larger disks, better materials and more pistons makes all difference.

Look into powerstop brake upgrades. People whom upgrade says they are truly an improvement.

—————signature—————
I'm pretty sure the rotors on my 2005 F250 are around 13" diameter, not 15" diameter.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:00 PM
PSN Veteran

Yes. Dana 80 is 15” ish... I brought up the 80 and newer sterlings to make a difference.

Your 250 has small disks. Did you put any thought in the resolution to your debacle?

—————signature—————
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by ​ DieselDC View Post
Yes. Dana 80 is 15” ish... I brought up the 80 and newer sterlings to make a difference.

Your 250 has small disks. Did you put any thought in the resolution to your debacle?

—————signature—————
What debacle?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Nothing...

—————signature—————
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:45 AM
PSN Local

Just put powerstop rotors and pads on my 01 f-250 today. I'll let you know in a few days how they work. The best thing I noticed so far is the violent shaking when I hit the brakes is gone. Just smooth stopping now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just put powerstop rotors and pads on my 01 f-250 today. I'll let you know in a few days how they work. The best thing I noticed so far is the violent shaking when I hit the brakes is gone. Just smooth stopping now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes, I'm curious how they work. I've tried those slotted rotors on other trucks in the past and they didn't help out at all. All of the area where those slots are, is area that isn't touching the brake pad.....so you actually have less contact between the pad and rotor. Sure, they might work on racecars that get the rotors glowing red hot.....but on normal daily drivers, I think it's all just marketing hype. There is a reason no trucks come with slotted rotors from the factory.
[email protected] likes this.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Reason? B/c manufacturers are not speedy. Slots dissipate heat and channel debris away from the contact surface thus increasing grip and stopping efficiently. There is a science behind it.

As I mentioned in my first post, these brakes were mentioned. Hence, “did you put any thought in to it”...

They work.

—————signature—————
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Master BS'er

But they're not going to help stop any faster, they're just not. Bigger rotors and pads probably will, because the surface area is getting bigger, not sure how a bigger rotor will fit though. But that's probably just masking a problem. Assuming it's not normal, then either the assist is weak, or pressure is being wasted somewhere in the system. Like stuck caliper pistons or something.

Whatever you do, don't start changing piston sizes. Like different master cylinders, different calipers etc. That's a bad idea.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode