OEM back up camera upgrade - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Carolina Gray Boy

OEM back up camera upgrade

How can I install a 08 up OEM super duty back up camera on my early 99 super duty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Early 1999 Ford F-250 SD XL, 7.3L, 6 speed, extended cab, long bed, 4x4 off road, Reflexxion cowl hood, 05 headlights, Auto Meter z series gauges, Ford ASI air filter, TS 6 position chip, and Diamond eye 5 Turbo back exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 AM
PSN Local

Re: OEM back up camera upgrade

I just did my 00 a few weeks ago. For the camera, I used a cheep Chinese version off ebay that's built into the tailgate handle like the 08's. The handle does not feel as strong as stock so if I were to do it again I would purchase the camera that is by itself and gets mounted into a hole you drill in the factory handle. Price was within a few dollars on both. I did already have an 08 tailgate and am not sure off hand if the older tailgates work with the new handle.

For install, pull the panel off the tailgate, fish the wire down to the drain holes at the bottom. Run the wire up to the front by the radio or whatever you are using for a display. The camera gets 12v switched power from the accessory circuit and video out to the radio or other display. If you want the camera to come on in reverse, you will need a wire to the backup lights. I tapped the wire off the transmission. For the display, you can use a radio that supports a backup camera. Other options would be a sunvisor with a display, rear view mirror with display, GPS that accepts camera input or a standalone display for a backup camera.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:41 PM
PSN Newb

Re: OEM back up camera upgrade

I had a dent in my tailgate so I got a 2009 Tailgate and installed it pretty easily. I then installed a camera that was built into the Ford Logo on the new tailgate.

2001 F250 CC 4x4 7.3
  • ATS Exhaust
  • Riffraff Intake
  • PHP Hydra Chip
  • 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country R/T
  • Access Bed Cover
  • 05-07 Harley Headlights with Morimoto 55w D2S 5.0 Projectors / 80mm RGB Halos / RGB Demon Eyes / Morimoto Bluetooth Controller / Yellow LED Strip / Switchback LED Turn signal
  • Raptor Style Grill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode