New wheels - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

New wheels

Well i cleaned up my wheels a bit yesterday and the chrome is peeling off and they are pretty erroded/pitting after 1 winter....so what would some of you recommend in a 17" wheel good for year round abuse? Thanks -Joe

00 Excursion. TS 6 position chip, AEM Intake, 4" Turbo back exhaust, wicked wheel, Transgo tugger, Gauges, 8" BDS Lift w/37x12.50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 01:59 PM
PSN Local

Re: New wheels

I would stay away from chrome and polished aluminum wheels. They are very hard to maintain through rough winters. I have always found that factory clearcoated wheels hold up the best, but if you don't like the factory wheels, black wheels, either painted or teflon are a good choice or a machined aluminum wheel should hold up pretty wheel. Anything with clearcoat on it should hold up as well. I have Black Mickey Thompson wheels on my truck and they held up just fine over the winter.

You're other choice is to take your good wheels off during the winter months and use a cheaper set of wheels for the winter. But then you need two sets of tires and wheels.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 PM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

I have pro comp xtreme alloy wheels and they have held up ok, but when I polished them this spring I noticed the chrome is starting to pull up around the little fake bolt holes. I've had them through 2 winters and only polished them twice once each spring. They have little to not pitting though, just one is a little rougher from the brakes going out on that wheel.

Like blackford said stockers or some clear coated wheel is gonna be best through the winters.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM
PSN Local

I just take off my polished wheels during winter months and put my stockers back on.

2004 F-250 regular cab long box, 6.0 w/ 6 speed, 4" turbo back exhaust, airaid airfilter, SCT, Sinister coolant filter, ARP studs, EGR delete, gauges- sold

2010 F-350 crew cab short bed Lariat. 6.4l with auto trans. Deleted and tuned.

Dylan
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 05:38 AM
PSN Veteran

I would get a new set of whatever you want, and run those pitting peeling ones in winter. Just paint them black or something.

06' F-250 CC SRW 4x4, 6" fabtech lift, bilstien 5100 shocks, 4" MBRP TB no cat, ARP studs, 2 JL audio 10" W0, 20x12 weld cheyenne 8's, 35x13.50x20 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ

BNIB 6.0 head with all related hardware, straight from FORD. For Sale PM me offers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode