What muffler will kill some noise, but not the turbo whistle? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Question What muffler will kill some noise, but not the turbo whistle?

When I got my truck last December, the dealer has deleted the cat and muffler and installed a 4" turbo back exhaust....basically straight piped the thing.

I absolutely love the way it sounds......super quiet on the highway with the windows up (unless you get the gas hard then it's pretty loud), and when it's idling it's got a hell of a turbo whistle to it. I think it sounds just about perfect! With the RPMs under 2,000 or so.....you can't even hardly hear it. Around town with the windows down, it's got a pretty aggressive sound to it.

BUT....when ever I'm towing the boat or the camper......it can get a little annoying when I'm having to go up some big grades if the transmission has to shift down and the RPM's get up higher than around 2,500.

Is there a muffler I can install that will kill some of the volume of the exhaust, but will still let you hear that awesome turbo whistle?

Thanks!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:21 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: What muffler will kill some noise, but not the turbo whistle?

I have this: AP Exhaust XS2772 Muffler

Purchased off amazon and sounds awesome.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:52 PM
PSN Veteran

Many like the FTE resonator.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Scherf likes this.

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:02 AM
Master BS'er

Personally, I hate the whistle some of these things make. Sounds like a jet engine or something. Cummins are especially annoying.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:05 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Personally, I hate the whistle some of these things make. Sounds like a jet engine or something. Cummins are especially annoying.

You and I both. Some of the 6.0 love the whistle. It’s cool the first few times “my turbo works yay” but chit, every damn stop light is just as annoying as my wife.

—————signature—————
Scherf likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:16 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ​ DieselDC View Post
You and I both. Some of the 6.0 love the whistle. It’s cool the first few times “my turbo works yay” but chit, every damn stop light is just as annoying as my wife.

—————signature—————

Ya I can third that, the flipping whistle sucks.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 F-250 Lariat 6.0L, crew cab, 2006 motor swap, white w/ gray interior, SCT X4, 4'' down pipe with 5'' to a stack, 325/65-18 nitto terra grapplers, air rad intake, egr delete, studded and deleted, FASS System ([email protected]) with sump, 190/100% Swamps Diesel Injectors, atlas 80 PHP FICM, RCD rods, DDPM lifters, Turbo Lab of America turbo.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:19 AM
PSN Veteran

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Many like the FTE resonator.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I can second that FTE resonator.... I put the 5”x32” resonator on my truck and it still has the flipping whistle (not as bad though) idle sounds good, cruising around town is also good, then when you do get on her the growl is mean. Also the cab drone is non existent at 70mph.... I’ll never put a muffler on a vehicle ever again after using this resonator

​ DieselDC likes this.

2004 F-250 Lariat 6.0L, crew cab, 2006 motor swap, white w/ gray interior, SCT X4, 4'' down pipe with 5'' to a stack, 325/65-18 nitto terra grapplers, air rad intake, egr delete, studded and deleted, FASS System ([email protected]) with sump, 190/100% Swamps Diesel Injectors, atlas 80 PHP FICM, RCD rods, DDPM lifters, Turbo Lab of America turbo.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:38 AM
sooty

Try a 40" plus Donaldson muffler from a semi
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 10:10 PM
PSN Local

Walker BTM
https://blackclouddiesel.com/mufflers-walker-btm/

Matt
Early 1999 F250 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 liter Lariet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherf View Post
I can second that FTE resonator.... I put the 5”x32” resonator on my truck and it still has the flipping whistle (not as bad though) idle sounds good, cruising around town is also good, then when you do get on her the growl is mean. Also the cab drone is non existent at 70mph.... I’ll never put a muffler on a vehicle ever again after using this resonator

That's the one thing that drives me a little nuts....with my 4" straight pipe exhaust, right around 75mph...it starts droning in the cab. It would be nice to get rid of that....I will have to check out that resonator.

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode